PDA

View Full Version : Your advice would be appreciated

Crow Hunter
05-29-09, 09:34
All

I need some advice. From reading posts here, there seems to be alot of BTDT guys and I would like to elicit your opinion.

I recently took pistol course in extremely muddy/unpleasant conditions with my Glock 19 with between 750 and 1000 rounds fired in 2 days. I had only one failure to go into battery during the whole class even though the mags were repeatedly dropped into the mud partially loaded. I would pick them up, wipe them quickly on my pants leg and shove them back in my mag pouch only to be rotated back into the gun a drill or two later. While intentionally setting up a Phase III malfunction I distictly remember seeing a small rivulet of muddy water leaking out of the chamber. :D I now have complete confidence in my sidearm. Now my question, what rifle should I be looking at to take to a carbine class that I could depend on the same way? I plan on running it through a carbine class before having complete confidence it in, but I would prefer to start off on a good foot.

Currently I have a Colt 6920 with somewhere around 90+ magazines (mix of Okay and NHMTG).

I also have an old Polytech AKS side folder and around 20 magazines (mix of Chinese, East German and Bulgarian steel).

Either of these two or something else entirely?

What would your advice be have you tested your own rifle choice in similar conditions?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Iraqgunz
05-29-09, 10:10
There is nothing wrong with the Colt 6920. Make sure you lube it correctly and have a decent sling. You should also consider some form of hands free illumination.

All

I need some advice. From reading posts here, there seems to be alot of BTDT guys and I would like to elicit your opinion.

I recently took pistol course in extremely muddy/unpleasant conditions with my Glock 19 with between 750 and 1000 rounds fired in 2 days. I had only one failure to go into battery during the whole class even though the mags were repeatedly dropped into the mud partially loaded. I would pick them up, wipe them quickly on my pants leg and shove them back in my mag pouch only to be rotated back into the gun a drill or two later. While intentionally setting up a Phase III malfunction I distictly remember seeing a small rivulet of muddy water leaking out of the chamber. :D I now have complete confidence in my sidearm. Now my question, what rifle should I be looking at to take to a carbine class that I could depend on the same way? I plan on running it through a carbine class before having complete confidence it in, but I would prefer to start off on a good foot.

Currently I have a Colt 6920 with somewhere around 90+ magazines (mix of Okay and NHMTG).

I also have an old Polytech AKS side folder and around 20 magazines (mix of Chinese, East German and Bulgarian steel).

Either of these two or something else entirely?

What would your advice be have you tested your own rifle choice in similar conditions?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Failure2Stop
05-29-09, 10:17
I have run A2s, A4s, M4A1s, and precision AR derivatives in every clime and place, and they have never failed me as long as I properly maintained them. Proper maintenance for the platform is pretty much to keep large rocks out of the chamber and FCG and to keep it lubricated. By keep it lubricated I simply mean that there is sufficient lubrication on the operating parts in the morning and the gun will run all day. I highly recommend using Magpul followers in your Okay mags and/or upgrading to PMags, as many potential issues are circumvented by this simple fix.

I have also used Kalashnikov based weapons in less than optimal conditions, and as long as the chamber and FGC were clear of small stumps they would also run. The problem with AK based weapons is that they are simply not as ergonomic or accessory friendly as the AR platform. While still capable of combat precision out to 300 meters, they are not as precise as ARs.

Bottom line- ARs are more robust than most people think and AKs are more precise than most people think.

I would recommend running your 6920, you will probably be suprised at how reliable they are, despite people's facination with the M16's early shortcomings.