PDA

View Full Version : Hi! M4 Noob here, first post.

Herkemer
05-29-09, 17:55
Hi All!

I am a noob to building AR15/M4's. I just moved out of commiefornia and am excited to get back into shooting again. I come from a varmint rifle background as far as building rifles before moving to California a long time ago. My other experience is from the military, M16-A2-M14-1911's, and I also used to collect and shoot military rifles and pistols, before I traded and sold them to build varmint rifles. I am having whats left of them shipped from my folks place in Oregon to my new home. It's a pretty slim lot thats left, but I still have the Colt Competition HBAR that I bought the week before the last assualt weapons ban. It was the only AR left on the shelf. It was the last because it was more expensive than the others at the time and no one wanted it because it was heavier. Me included. It turned out to be a great rifle. I looked at it last year when I was back home, I can't wait to get it back.

That rifle has fired every kind of ammo in existence at the time without a malfunction. The only time it failed, is when I tried to load up some 40 something grain noslers especially for the rifle. (Thats the varmint gun thing again, I couldn't resist). They wouldn't feed for shit and had extraction problems. I started worrying about maybe doing some damage and there was no one for me to talk to at the time about it. I stopped. It was easier to experiment with the remington 700's. Now that I've found this place and you guys, I'll probably reopen that experiment when I get the rifle back. I am also looking forward to reinspect the rifle after all I have learned here from you guys. It was rode hard and put away wet. I thought everything was cool, but now, hmmmmmm, it's going to be interesting to see it again with new eyes.

So, I have decided to build a rifle. I want it to be more capable than the one I have. It is going to be my primary MBR/SHTF/GTFOOD, plinking fun shooting rifle, just like the last one. Here is what I have so far...

Noveske 14.5 afghan barrel
Vltor VC-1 flash suppressor (gets me to 16")
Tactical Inovations T15BDx lower
Geissele SSA trigger

Other things I have decided on and am waiting for the market to free up...

Vltor MUR 1A upper
Magpul MIAD handgrip
LMT enhanced S/A BCG
LMT Fixed front and rear sights
A2 stock
DD A2 stock sling adapter

The rest is TBD.

My questions, and request for recommendations are,

1. Gas buster charging handle? Y or N? I honestly didn't know this was an issue, and for the most part, I still don't, at least for this kind of rifle. But, for an extra couple of bucks, is the "Safety" aspect worth it?

2. Rails. I want a 12" rail. The Daniel Defence one looks good, but I can go any way on this one.

3. Non rotating pin in lower? Y or N? Didn't know it was an issue.

4. Co Witness, I think that is the right word/s. Would having the fixed BUIS's be a bummer when an Eotech or an Aimpoint is installed. I've seen a couple of pictures, but personal observations would be helpfull.

5. Stickman posted a picture of almost the rifle I want to build. It had a secondary mag holder with a big release on it. What is that product? Back in the day, we used tape, and then they came out with a piece of plastic to clip them together. This is a side ny side holder with a big lever behind it.

Thanks for having me over, this is a great place,
Herkemer (Orvis)

Veracity
05-29-09, 19:48
Hey,

This is an amazing place to get straight answers on any AR/M4 questions you might have.

Welcome!

Ulysses74
05-29-09, 20:54
Welcome new member! I'm fairly new myself and really enjoy great info and help you get here.
The mag holder you describe is called a Redi-Mag. I like mine, but it does add some weight. Is great to have if you need to grab and go!