PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbines anyone?

SoDak
05-29-09, 22:33
Since all projects regarding AR rifles are hitting roadblocks for me right now(cost and/or parts availability) I have been working on a plan for my inland carbine. What I was thinking of doing was putting an ultimak on top with an aimpoint and flashlight in an offset light mount like DocGKR did in this thread. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19956 Then I might go further and add a choate folder to make for a more compact rifle. Basically what I have in the back of my mind is something along the order of a poor man's PDW, but also have a useful gun for ranch duties. Has anyone else done a project like this and what did you do with yours? I'd be interested in hearing from DocGKR about his carbine if he reads this.

DocGKR
05-31-09, 17:00
7.62x39 mm and .30-30 are both more effective calibers than .30 Carbine, nonetheless, M1 Carbines make nice, quick handling PDW's that are reasonably effective when fed well designed expanding ammunition. Stick with GI carbines, the flip safety is easier to use than the push button, the M2 mag release is also a good option. Make sure you get a second head-spaced bolt and ensure the gas cylinder nut is properly staked.

SoDak
05-31-09, 17:46
The gun I planned on using was an inland I got a few years back when the cmp first released the italian returns. It is in great condition and has been reliable so far. Luckily the gas cylinder nut is staked and it already has the M2 mag latch:D. It seems to be perfect for what I plan to do. I wouldn't mind getting a spare bolt like you said.

I'm well aware that the 30 carbine isn't in the same league as most rifle rounds, that's why I have rifles in those calibers as well. I figure though that something small and light as a carbine would be useful for other non-gun family members and for a ranch gun. I used my first carbine as a truck gun for a while and I did appreciate that it wasn't quite as loud as my AR(I try to grab my hearing proctection, but sometimes I'm in to big a hurry to grab them).

What I was interested in with your build DocGKR is why you mounted the aimpoint with a medium ring. I was going to use an aimpoint 9000sc with the factory low rings and I wouldn't mind know it using low rings is a bad idea. One other thing, how much rail space does the vtac light mount take up?