PDA

View Full Version : So how many Black Rifles are, too much……

roberto232
05-30-09, 01:18
I started out last year wanting with all my heart a POF P-415……I ended up purchasing a Smith and Wesson M&P-15….Nice rifle by the way………Then around midyear I still had the itch for a POF…..I talked to a friend of mine to see if he could order me one (He’s an FFL)….he tells me I can if you want, but do I have a deal for you…..I can sell you a RRA National Match lower for what it cost me to get it (other fella backed out on him)……..I told him I wanted the POF ordered in the event Obama won, figured it would be my last chance…..

Still I’m not an idiot, I bought the lower…..mama didn’t raise no fool….couldn’t pass the deal up……Well around Oct was when POF was to be in…..to my disappointment no rifle…..December rolls up and still no rifle…..also at same time figure….what the heck, called buddy up again and asked if he could get me a Tactical Entry upper for my RRA lower…….First part of January my POF arrived…..OH MY GOD, The rifle is a BAD TO THE BONE piece of equipment….some things in life you pay for and feel, this was how much?.....this rifle is totally WOW and in my opinion worth every cent….and above all else, as they say 100% AMERICAN MADE……I laughed when my pal told me “Thanks”…..asked him what for……”I’ve never seen a $2,000.00 AR before”…..got the Recon model with added A2 Flash suppressor and flip up front and rear Troy sights…..

Well this month my RRA Tactical Entry showed up…..Now I have three count them three Black Rifles……WHOO HOOO……course I know get….you can’t shoot them all at once…..sell me one……So I bring the question to the BRL’s (Black Rifle Lovers)……

SO HOW MANY BLACK RIFLES ARE, TOO MUCH…….

JohnnyC
05-30-09, 04:04
You can never have too many. Hell, I've got 3 stripped receivers just waiting to build, not to mention the stuff that's already in one piece.

SWATcop556
05-30-09, 04:29
When I ask myself "how many more rifles will I build/ buy?" My answer is always just one more.........

lanceriley
05-30-09, 05:49
1 short , 1 medium and 1 long :D

Failure2Stop
05-30-09, 06:08

. . .and then, of course, a back up to each of those.
And one more of each in case you have poorly armed firends.
And a back up for each of those. . .
:D

lanceriley
05-30-09, 06:15

hahahah.. you got to me first... I was expecting somebody to react with "ONLY???" .

Abraxas
05-30-09, 06:38
And one more of each in case you have poorly armed friends.

My thoughts exactly!!

pah151
05-30-09, 06:50
Remember, you are only one gun away from hapiness ALWAYS

alistaire
05-30-09, 07:31
Too many is when a sinkhole forms under your house.

The_War_Wagon
05-30-09, 08:26
If you KNOW how many you have, you don't have enough! :D

lanceriley
05-30-09, 08:41
it better a very big hole

Ttwwaack
05-30-09, 09:43
I thought I was set at 5 till I found a NIB 6920 for $1309 to the door last Saturday. Safe space is getting to a premium. 1-2 more long guns and stuff is going to have to start disappearing to make room.

Alaskapopo
05-30-09, 10:05
I started out last year wanting with all my heart a POF P-415……I ended up purchasing a Smith and Wesson M&P-15….Nice rifle by the way………Then around midyear I still had the itch for a POF…..I talked to a friend of mine to see if he could order me one (He’s an FFL)….he tells me I can if you want, but do I have a deal for you…..I can sell you a RRA National Match lower for what it cost me to get it (other fella backed out on him)……..I told him I wanted the POF ordered in the event Obama won, figured it would be my last chance…..

Still I’m not an idiot, I bought the lower…..mama didn’t raise no fool….couldn’t pass the deal up……Well around Oct was when POF was to be in…..to my disappointment no rifle…..December rolls up and still no rifle…..also at same time figure….what the heck, called buddy up again and asked if he could get me a Tactical Entry upper for my RRA lower…….First part of January my POF arrived…..OH MY GOD, The rifle is a BAD TO THE BONE piece of equipment….some things in life you pay for and feel, this was how much?.....this rifle is totally WOW and in my opinion worth every cent….and above all else, as they say 100% AMERICAN MADE……I laughed when my pal told me “Thanks”…..asked him what for……”I’ve never seen a $2,000.00 AR before”…..got the Recon model with added A2 Flash suppressor and flip up front and rear Troy sights…..

Well this month my RRA Tactical Entry showed up…..Now I have three count them three Black Rifles……WHOO HOOO……course I know get….you can’t shoot them all at once…..sell me one……So I bring the question to the BRL’s (Black Rifle Lovers)……

SO HOW MANY BLACK RIFLES ARE, TOO MUCH…….

I have 8 and am working a 9th right now and I have 2 stripped lowers. I can't stop myself.
1. 22lr, 1 9mm, 2 308's, 4 .223's.

larry0071
05-30-09, 10:19
Some of you guys are crazy! I have 5 M-forgeries and I feel completely good at that number. Maybe just one more, but thats it. Well, I really want one done in camo so that would be 7, but not one more.... ever. Ya know what though, a long range set up may be nice to build, so I say for sure at number 8 I will stop forever. Actually, my wife asked about getting one duracoated in white and pink, so that would be the end all...last one ever.... number 9.

August
05-30-09, 10:32
Around here, you can tell the amateurs when they ask, "how many guns do you have?" Simplify the discussion by asking, "how many safes do you have?"

Gunfighter.45
05-30-09, 10:51
You buy one.. get hooked. Then you if your married you have to turn into Batman or some type of secrete agent with either a batcave or eye scan room that only you know about. Then you buy more.. than another one and you keep going. It never stops with just one.:D

a1fabweld
05-30-09, 11:12
Is there such a thing as too many black rifles? The way I see it, guns are like money in the bank. Plus, they'll only go up in value.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-30-09, 11:15

i see im not the only one with this problem. once i bought a black rifle, i decided i wanted to build another! ive already decided i want three builds, an 11.5 SBR, a 16in, and a 16in HBAR for a DMR style rifle. instead of having a complete back up rifle for each, im going to just keep lots of spare parts around.

ive given up on trying to arm friends though. if they cant buy their own high quality shit because theyd rather spend their money on alcohol and partying, then when the shtf i guess ill just be a one man army, or make new friends, because i dont have the money to arm all my friends, no the desire anymore.

they need to learn how to either party sober, or get hammered on someone elses alcohol :D.

i think im going to actually going to try and further reduce my arsenal of 3 rifles down to two, an SBR and a 16in DMR type rifle with a 1-4 power variable optic and 10in larue rail.

that pretty much covers the spectrum of any kind of shooting that ill ever need to do in florida.

seb5
05-30-09, 11:38
I've asked the same question. I still don't have an answer. For me it's a good CQB type carbine, in my case a Defensive Edge Grail with Scout and T-1, a decent precision type like a Noveske with an NightForce and a shorter lightweight type with either a perm FH and 14.5 or SBR. Of course all are totally accessorized. And then double it.

I really think it depends on your level of infatuation, and your level of financial ability. Some are hoarders and will never have enough. I joke about 6 but have had more. My problem is I like to build them. Many times other than zeroing and function checking I'll never fire them again. I either make a friend a deal, or deal and make a friend, and start over.

The 3 listed above are what I shoot. I could get by pretty well with a precision rig and a CQB type carbine and could use the Noveske for both purposes if needed. But I don't want to and can afford not to. My other 3 are just sitting in the safe. I've got 2 kids and 3 nephews so will some day be down to one. About 20 years down the road when they are all grown and responsible. Until then, I will own several.

The_War_Wagon
05-30-09, 12:08
...Then you if your married you have to turn into Batman or some type of secrete agent with either a batcave or eye scan room that only you know about...

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/images/smilies/roflmao.gif I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this, or thinks this way!!! http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/images/smilies/lolgreen.gif

WGG
05-30-09, 12:26
4 would work for me. 1 Colt, 1 Noveske, 1 LMT and 1 Daniel Defense. So far I only have the LMT so I have a way to go yet.

politicaldookie
05-30-09, 12:47
As of now a Colt 6601, 6920, a DPMS LR308 24", and a Busmaster Predator.

pah151
05-30-09, 13:07
I currently have 64 Colt AR's. Only 71 more to have all semi auto variations.

Beat Trash
05-30-09, 13:20
I thought I was set at 5 till I found a NIB 6920 for $1309 to the door last Saturday. Safe space is getting to a premium. 1-2 more long guns and stuff is going to have to start disappearing to make room.

Or time to buy that second safe?

bkb0000
05-30-09, 14:34
do you suppose it would be as "addictive" if they werent so expensive?

sometimes i wonder if the reason we chase after these things like we do is connected to some kind of masochistic dysfunction. i spent SO much money last year.. i dont even remember what my budget was, now, but i probably tripled it. this year i've already built 2 more, and planning another.... got a taste for an A2 rifle, so i'm placing orders. at least this will be my least expensive build- shouldn't be more than $760 to build something real nice. no rails, no aimpoint, no light... just gun.

Failure2Stop
05-30-09, 15:11
I have a funny habit of acquiring lowers and slowly adding pieces until they turn into whole rifles.

Frankly though, what an AR does well can be covered with a 16" mid-length gun. Anything else is simply specialization and redundancy, not that there is anything wrong with that.

bkb0000
05-30-09, 15:38
I have a funny habit of acquiring lowers and slowly adding pieces until they turn into whole rifles.

Frankly though, what an AR does well can be covered with a 16" mid-length gun. Anything else is simply specialization and redundancy, not that there is anything wrong with that.

that's always my intent. this year i just wanted to build a simple carbine to throw into the truck.. i have lowers sitting around, and generally enough parts to build 50% of something anyway. i think what happens is that i get online searching for parts, and end up finding great parts that i dont exactly need.. but order them anyway. then i have a MUR and a noveske barrel, plus the lowers and LPKs and stocks and misc parts i usually have anyway, so i figure "might as well finish this one!" and order up a scope, BUIS, larue, covers, battelgrip, etc....

and end up with yet another SPR, and still not have finished my carbine.

i offset by selling a lot, though.. dont generally make any kind of profit or anything, just cant justify keeping all these guns- any one of which worth enough to feed a starving family in africa for three years. i started to feel guilty (and broke) at the end of last year and pretty much sold off all my guns, keeping only a few ARs, a rem 700, and two carry pistols. hurt to sell some of those guns, but being light actually feels good.

Killjoy
05-30-09, 15:48
"Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it."

It is physically impossible to have "too many" guns....

alistaire
05-30-09, 16:02
I currently have 64 Colt AR's. Only 71 more to have all semi auto variations.
You're the MAN. (Or WOMAN as the case may be.)

PS: 71 to go then you can start collecting class 3...

Mega
05-30-09, 20:21

Good answer. ;)

ukhayes
05-30-09, 22:04
I had several...until that tragic boating accident!

Abraxas
05-31-09, 07:46
I had several...until that tragic boating accident!

Bummer;)

Mjolnir
05-31-09, 10:02
Too many? Hmmm...

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/Mjolnir_photos/OVERKILL.jpg

THIS would be "Overkill" me thinks!

or

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/Mjolnir_photos/PreparednessHasBeenAchieved.jpg

Though I wouldn't call this one overkill; just very well stocked. :D

redsox20
05-31-09, 10:41
The last pic follows F2S motto. ;)

Mjolnir
05-31-09, 10:44
How many do you see? I count 16 or 17... and maybe 100 PMags. :cool:

i303
05-31-09, 11:49
You can't never have too many. It is a nearly self sustaining hobby.

If done right, black rifles are a good investment. All depending on how you shop and sell them.

I've always have found quite a few for good prices, and if needed, sold them at resonable prices (private party) for at least very close to what they cost me if not usually a small profit. I do shop around quite a bit but in no way I'd make enough to sustain myself, just the hobby.

For those with significant others, if you need to convince the other person who may not see it the way you do, apply my methods and it should be very acceptable. If they are other issues then I'm sure it won't matter what hobby you do, it will always interfere.

BTW, it is my hobby that happens to relate to my job anyways. And if you don't have a job that relates to weapons, it's still a hobby that can be expensive but in time ends up being a self sustaining hobby for the most part.

shadco
05-31-09, 11:54
Once you think you are there with Black ones you get to start with FDE, then Foliage green, then Olive drab, and then there are all the flavors of Multicam.

:D:D:D

Mjolnir
05-31-09, 13:20
Once you think you are there with Black ones you get to start with FDE, then Foliage green, then Olive drab, and then there are all the flavors of Multicam.

:D:D:D
Now we're talkin' :p

Aray
05-31-09, 14:51
You're the MAN. (Or WOMAN as the case may be.)

PS: 71 to go then you can start collecting class 3...

I've seen them, and it is a thing of beauty. And yes, he's the woman.:D

bkb0000
05-31-09, 15:22
How many do you see? I count 16 or 17... and maybe 100 PMags. :cool:

220 mags, 18 ARs/rifles, and based on 8x2- 16 pistols, is what i get... all in 1 safe

JSantoro
05-31-09, 22:03
Crap, I just put a Noveske upper on a lower I put together myself (my first!), and it didn't blow up and kill me, so I'm calling it a success. The plan was to build an SBR upper for me to gank up and learn on, maybe even get right on the first try, and just swap uppers as need or desire dictates.

But then, I start thinking: Well, if I get another lower...LPKs are getting slightly easier to find...and I've already got that VLTOR stock assembly...hmmmmm....

I think I've started myself down a slippery slope, and I'm going to end up with the AR equivalent of a full golf bag. Good thing I'm single and always have been. My money is mine.

bkb0000
05-31-09, 22:31
you can putt with a 3-iron, but why the hell would you?

fill that bag, my friend- all 14 :)

kmrtnsn
05-31-09, 22:34
TOO many black rifles? Blasphemy!!!!

torquemada055
06-01-09, 01:02
It should always be answered with "How fast can you reload the mags"?

When your wife smiles back at you and says "How fast are you when I'm shooting" you may have reached the point, until then you don't have too many.....

30 cal slut
06-01-09, 13:09

the way you think is kinda scary, cuz i was thinking pretty much along the same lines.