PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Tactical vs CMMG .22cal conversion?

Lawdog-1
05-30-09, 04:39
I am in the market for a .22cal convsion for my LMT M4 and have been reading here and can't find a lot of good information to compair both of them side by side. I would like to get owners of both of them to give me feedback of both .22cal conversion Kits? I wish there was a chart to compair them like there is for the manufactors of the M4's.

austinN4
05-30-09, 08:13
I am in the market for a .22cal convsion for my LMT M4 and have been reading here and can't find a lot of good information to compair both of them side by side. I would like to get owners of both of them to give me feedback of both .22cal conversion Kits? I wish there was a chart to compair them like there is for the manufactors of the M4's.
Did you try searching? There are numerous threads about both, mostly, but not exclusively in this forum: https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6

SeriousStudent
05-30-09, 09:10
I have a Tactical Solutions dedicated .22 upper, and have been more than pleased with it.

Just to make your life a little bit mopre complex.... ;)

gop1
05-30-09, 10:40
Here is a review of the Spikes with a quick video...http://www.625guns.com/content/view/163/68/

Also on the site is the Ciener...http://www.625guns.com/content/view/70/68/

Hope this helps:D

a1fabweld
05-30-09, 11:18
I have a Tactical Solutions dedicated .22 upper, and have been more than pleased with it.

Just to make your life a little bit mopre complex.... ;)

+1. I built up another rifle with a TS upper & it's a lot of fun. I can shoot all day & not feel guilty that I spent too much. OF course, nothing takes the place of a centerfire.

Ed L.
05-30-09, 20:01
I've had very good luck with a Spike's. I know that's just one data point.

Mega
05-30-09, 20:25
Buy a dedicated upper rather than a conversion.
You will be glad that you did later on... ;)

halo2304
05-31-09, 00:22
Buy a dedicated upper rather than a conversion.
You will be glad that you did later on... ;)

A big +1!
My Spike's has been pretty good so far with only a few stopages, most of which are appearing to be ammo related. At least it's still less finicky than a house cat!

The only truely reliable .22 is a single shot.

CarlosDJackal
05-31-09, 00:32
A big +1!
My Spike's has been pretty good so far with only a few stopages, most of which are appearing to be ammo related. At least it's still less finicky than a house cat!

The only truely reliable .22 is a single shot.

My Ceiner .22LR Conversion Kit (http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/CarlosDJackal/?action=view&current=22_FA.flv)

One ammo-induced malfunction out of more than 500-rounds shooting Federal 36-grain bulk pack most of which on full-auto. It doesn't like the Reminton ammo but seem to do okay with Wincherster Dynapoints. FWIW.

SeriousStudent
05-31-09, 16:49

OF course, nothing takes the place of a centerfire.

Quite true. But with the challenges of ammo availibility and price, I have built a dedicated .22 AR for practice, that mimic's the optics, grips, slings, etc of my 6920. It sits on a Charles Daily lower with a MOE stock, and a G&R LPK. Runs very well, I only had two FTE on the first 400 rounds.

I'm working to track down an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my G-19.

My cunning plan is to shoot multiple drills with the .22 units, then switch to the full-power weapons for one last set of drills. I can shoot a range session for about $50 that way, instead of $400.

I did the math, and both uppers pay for themselves in about a year. That's adding the cost of a C3 and mount from Grant, into the cost of the TacSol upper.

It seemed to be the natural evolution from dry fire practice, I'm just adding another "plateau" as many others have done before me.

jsebens
05-31-09, 17:04
I can say that my Spike's conversion runs great, and while I have no experience with CMMG's conversion, I have seen several guns come from their shop that were improperly assembled (wrong rail, missing parts, flash hiders not pinned/welded, etc). One was mine; I will not buy anything from them anymore.

Mega
05-31-09, 17:25
I'm waiting for this to become available. ;)

http://tactical22.net/smith&wesson.htm

a1fabweld
06-01-09, 00:17
Quite true. But with the challenges of ammo availibility and price, I have built a dedicated .22 AR for practice, that mimic's the optics, grips, slings, etc of my 6920. It sits on a Charles Daily lower with a MOE stock, and a G&R LPK. Runs very well, I only had two FTE on the first 400 rounds.

I'm working to track down an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my G-19.

My cunning plan is to shoot multiple drills with the .22 units, then switch to the full-power weapons for one last set of drills. I can shoot a range session for about $50 that way, instead of $400.

I did the math, and both uppers pay for themselves in about a year. That's adding the cost of a C3 and mount from Grant, into the cost of the TacSol upper.

It seemed to be the natural evolution from dry fire practice, I'm just adding another "plateau" as many others have done before me.

I'm with ya! I do enjoy my .22's & mostly my recently built AR-22. Because of the difference in recoil, it's just not the same as it's centerfire counterpart. To me, it's like sharpening my reaction time in my diesel truck all week when I'm bracket racing my Camaro on the weekend. Just not the same. But .22 ammo is cheap to shoot all day!

Bimmer
06-01-09, 03:01
Back on topic...

I got a CMMG kit because (1) I've got a CMMG rifle and (2) the Spike's kit was back-ordered.

I've only fired 100 rounds or so through mine, but it worked fine.

Bimmer

blacktail 8541
06-02-09, 11:57
I've got dedicated Spike units, Spike conversion units and a CMMG conversion unit. While I like how the Spikes clean up, I didn't have to tune the CMMG unit to get it to run. Put it in and go. The Spike units all needed tunning and are a little more finnicky.

austinN4
06-02-09, 13:21
I have over 2,500 rounds of Federal #750 bulk pack (less than $15 at Walmart) thru my CMMG conversion and have had no failures to feed, fire or extract at all since I switched from Remington Goldens, which were just awful.

.45fmjoe
06-02-09, 13:24
I'm with ya! I do enjoy my .22's & mostly my recently built AR-22. Because of the difference in recoil, it's just not the same as it's centerfire counterpart. To me, it's like sharpening my reaction time in my diesel truck all week when I'm bracket racing my Camaro on the weekend. Just not the same. But .22 ammo is cheap to shoot all day!

I will disagree because every professional instructor says that dry fire practice is very important. Well, this is one step above dry fire practice.

NotDylan
06-10-09, 03:13
Question about the conversion units: Do they cause any abnormal wear, particularly in the barrel? Any reason not to use one on your go to gun?

ckmark
06-10-09, 04:40
I will disagree because every professional instructor says that dry fire practice is very important. Well, this is one step above dry fire practice.

Very true.

CryingWolf
06-10-09, 08:14
Question about the conversion units: Do they cause any abnormal wear, particularly in the barrel? Any reason not to use one on your go to gun?

I would say no. You are dealing with a lot less pressure and a slower lighter bullet. I have shot quite a bit out of my CMMG kit. I usually end with shooting a few rounds of .223. Just to clean out the gas tube etc.

I have a 1/9 twist and get a little under softball sized groups at 50 yards with federal bulk packs. Compare to my Remington 512 which is easily 40+ years old will shoot golf ball size groups at 50 yards with cheap ammo. Like some people have said "I don't think I have ever seen a 22 barrel shot out." YMMV

jsebens
06-10-09, 08:51
As was alluded to, shooting .22 through your AR will dirty up the gas tube something fierce; shooting some .223 afterwards will blow it all right back out, so no harm done.