PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter Gets 6-Month Probation for Taking Severed Foot From Crash Scene

JSandi
05-30-09, 17:43
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — A former St. Lucie County firefighter who admitted taking a man's severed foot from an Interstate 95 crash scene last year has been sentenced to six months probation.

A judge withheld adjudication Friday, so 38-year-old Cynthia "Cindy" Economou was not formally convicted of misdemeanor theft.

Economou told the Florida Highway Patrol after the Sept. 19 crash that she took the remains to help train her cadaver dog. She eventually resigned from the St. Lucie County Fire District.

There's no law specifically dealing with the theft of a body part. She was charged with a misdemeanor because authorities couldn't determine the monetary value of the foot.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,523376,00.html?test=latestnews

http://smilies.vidahost.com/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif

Don Robison
05-30-09, 19:24
She was charged with a misdemeanor because authorities couldn't determine the monetary value of the foot.

How about if you're missing one, it's priceless?:confused:

czydj
05-30-09, 20:23
How about if you're missing one, it's priceless?:confused:

But, if you no longer need it, what can you get for one at a garage sale???

ThirdWatcher
05-30-09, 20:52
IMO, anyone that would do such a thing has serious mental health issues.:confused:

Don Robison
05-30-09, 21:07
But, if you no longer need it, what can you get for one at a garage sale???

I'll let you know the next time I see one at a garage sale.:D:eek:

kal
05-30-09, 21:18
IMO, anyone that would do such a thing has serious mental health issues.:confused:

SERIOUS mental issues......SERIOUS....

Who the hell steals a freakin foot!?

"Hey, look at this guy screaming because his foot is severed.....let me take his foot home so MY DOG CAN PLAY WITH IT!?!? WTF!?"

http://year2.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/facepalm.jpg

DrMark
05-30-09, 21:24
Firefighter, huh?

I figured it would have been the toe truck driver.

ST911
05-30-09, 21:43
I figured it would have been the toe truck driver.

...:D...

RWK
05-30-09, 21:53

SERIOUS mental issues......SERIOUS....

Who the hell steals a freakin foot!?

"Hey, look at this guy screaming because his foot is severed.....let me take his foot home so MY DOG CAN PLAY WITH IT!?!? WTF!?

No doubt! Were I the judge, she'd be in a room somewhere looking at ink spots.

PPGMD
05-30-09, 21:57

She said she took it to help train her cadaver dog.

Gutshot John
05-30-09, 22:30
She said she took it to help train her cadaver dog.

She can say whatever she wants.

She should have known better and almost certainly did.

dbrowne1
05-30-09, 22:34
I don't suppose she ever thought about the possibility that it could have been surgically reattached.

Honu
05-31-09, 03:00
I wonder if it was her personal cadaver dog :) trying to train it to go find more severed feet maybe ???? heheheheh

she is wacked for sure !!!

Honu
05-31-09, 03:01
I wonder what she brings home for BBQ ?

SWATcop556
05-31-09, 04:44
I wonder what she brings home for BBQ ?

Secret's in the sauce! :D

I would be willing to bet that the previos owner of the foot was DRT (Dead Right There).

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-31-09, 10:00
Does she actaully have an officially trained cadaever dog? Did she train it herself, and how would she do that?

Gutshot John
05-31-09, 10:17
Does she actaully have an officially trained cadaever dog? Did she train it herself, and how would she do that?

She could indeed. Many SAR dogs are owned and trained by the individual volunteer as part of a larger volunteer organization.

Here is one local to me.

http://www.caesarinc.org/

John_Wayne777
05-31-09, 10:47
Now, ladies and gentlemen, you realize why we have so many laws. Because every now and then a situation arises which is so absurd that the law can't really deal with it. I don't suppose it ever occurred to legislators that someone would steal a severed human foot from an accident scene, so there is no law specifically dealing with it and the lawyers and judges are forced to try and attach some sort of monetary value to the foot.

I must say that I've never been overcome with the desire to pick up a bit of human anatomy from an accident scene and take it home with me. I've bagged it in some ice and rushed it to the ER, but frankly I wasn't too thrilled about doing even that.

EzGoingKev
05-31-09, 14:49
You forgot the key word from the title of the article - "Former Firefighter Gets 6-Month Probation for Taking Severed Foot From Crash Scene"

czydj
05-31-09, 14:55
How can ya blame a girl for trying to get a leg up on things? Kinda reminds me of that old adage, give someone an inch and they'll take a foot.... :cool:

woodandsteel
05-31-09, 15:59
I don't suppose she ever thought about the possibility that it could have been surgically reattached.

I was wondering the same thing. I wonder what the whole story is? Did the victim survive? And if they did, are they foced to use on foot because of this crazy lady?

Even if it was a fatality accident, the foot should have stayed with the victim. If I was a member of the victim's family, I would be boiling mad right now.

Cardiac Nurse
05-31-09, 16:19
This is one of the original articles regarding this incident, being a FL native I have been following reports for awhile. The gentleman who lost his foot is alive...no clue as to whether it could have been re-attached at the time.

Police Investigating Whether Firefighter Took Man's Severed Foot From Accident Scene

Friday, September 26, 2008 | FoxNews.com

FORT PIERCE, Fla. — St. Lucie County officials are investigating whether a firefighter took a man's severed foot from the scene of a traffic accident.

A Sept. 19 crash on I-95 caused a Melbourne man's foot to be sheared off. The man survived and is undergoing treatment at a local hospital.

It's the Fire District's policy to take a severed body part with the patient to the hospital if there is any chance of reattachment, or the body part goes to the medical examiner's office.

But authorities said the foot was taken to the hospital days later, on Sept. 24.

Officials would not release the name of the firefighter under investigation, but said the person trains cadaver dogs, which are used to locate and follow the scent of decomposing human flesh