PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1991 A1

Mr.Goodtimes
05-30-09, 21:01
my dad and i picked up today a stainless colt gov 1991 A1 gov model with the 5in barrel, NIB, unfired. we split the cost 50/50. the gun was $500.00 total. this seemed like a pretty good deal.

it was a ftf transaction and the gun was bought from a friend of a friend. aparently, the friends dad had worked (a a part time retirement job) at the now out of business jumbo sporting goods. When the place went out of business, he was able to buy a couple guns from them at cost, the original cost of the gun in 1998 was 509.00. he bought it and died a few years later having supposedly never shot the gun, and it looks unfired, no wear marks at all.

it seemed like a pretty good deal and we have both wanted a 1911 so we decided to buy it and make it our father/son project pistol. was this a pretty good deal?

DRich
05-30-09, 21:10
it seemed like a pretty good deal and we have both wanted a 1911 so we decided to buy it and make it our father/son project pistol. was this a pretty good deal?

Yes, I'd say you got a good deal. I paid $525 for the same pistol 10yrs ago and Colts haven't gotten any cheaper since then. I always hated the huge rollmark on the slide, but for $500 NIB, I would buy it again.

murphy j
05-31-09, 00:26
Yeah, it's a very good deal. I was at a gunshow today and saw several examples of the same model in well used condition for more.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-31-09, 01:07
awesome! well thats great to hear! i cant wait to get it to the range! the were def gonna do some work to it, probably put some nice sites on to start with and change the grips out and put a skeletonized hammer and trigger on.

woodandsteel
05-31-09, 10:24
You should post pics of that Colt. That way we can really start hating you! j/k :D

$500.00 is a heck of a deal. Especially for an unfired one. A guy I know got lucky and bought an older, beat up blued model Colt for a little more than you got yours. And I am still pissed off that he saw it before I did. I would have gladly spent the money on that well worn, scratched up model.

Sounds like you have some nice plans for that Colt.

Nice job. But, seriously we need to see some pics. Please :)

Gutshot John
05-31-09, 10:53
That's a crazy good deal.

I just bought a blued version, excellent/LN condition for $600.

MarshallDodge
05-31-09, 22:08
You got a good one and at at a good price.

First thing I would do is get some good mags for it. Chip McCormick Power 8 round Power Mags are my favorite. Next, put a couple hundred rounds through it, including hollow points to see how it runs. If it doesn't run then send it to a good 1911 gunsmith and have him do a reliability job on it.

Mr.Goodtimes
05-31-09, 23:12
ill post some pics up as soon as my dad gets back from work. right now its locked in the gun safe that i dont have the combination to. he wont give me the combination because the keys to the GTO are locked in there as well lol :D.

when he gets back from work later this week though ill get some pics posted up and hopefully a range report. im really excited about this gun, we've both always wanted a 1911, and we finally got one, and one better yet, one with a pony on it!

ive herd great things about the above mentioned mags, im gonna look into gettin some, better yet, a whole bunch.

DRich
05-31-09, 23:42
I've not had good luck with the CMC PowerMags in my 1991A1...which is annoying since I have quite a few of the CMC's and they work very well in my other 1911s. Be sure you try them before you buy too many. Of course, this is good advice for any 1911...they can be picky about mag selection.

Wilson 47D's, Tripp CobraMags and the OEM Colt mags are the only mags I've found that work 100% in my 1991A1.