PDA

View Full Version : Building AR. Question on shipping components

gogetal3
05-30-09, 21:04
I'm seeking to build my next AR. I wanted to ask the industry professionals, and anyone else whose had experience with this: What are the policies in regards to shipping 1. Barrels 2. Uppers 3. Parts and components? Do I need to find myself a FFL to ship them too? Or may I have them shipped directly to my door? The Lower i intend to purchase local.

rjacobs
05-30-09, 21:34
Everything but the lower can be shipped directly to you. The only part that is a "firearm" and requires an FFL is the lower.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-30-09, 23:47
That is kind of an odd 118th post.

Get used to seeing your UPS man. Parts still seem scarce, so you'll have to source them from multiple people probably.

gogetal3
05-31-09, 20:05
I appreciate your responses. Was looking to purchase a short barrel to start a SBR project, and don't want to run into ATF issues concerning shipping.

seb5
05-31-09, 20:39
You'd better keep that barrel away from your lower until you get the federal blessing. I'm not sure it's worth the possible hassle of even having it in the safe together.

gogetal3
05-31-09, 21:15
I do not intent to assemble them until the blessing comes through. It's not worth the hassle, or losing my rights!!!! One piece at a time. Build it right build it slow if need be. I was just weary about ordering a barrel and other parts for delivery to my home. The lower I'll pick up eventually locally.

kaiservontexas
05-31-09, 23:43
Do you need the stamp first or the parts first? I am curious because people send off to Krink their AK, but own the rifle before SBRing it. *No, I have no personal interest in a SBR. I am just curious how this all works.*

rjacobs
06-01-09, 00:42
I do not intent to assemble them until the blessing comes through. It's not worth the hassle, or losing my rights!!!! One piece at a time. Build it right build it slow if need be. I was just weary about ordering a barrel and other parts for delivery to my home. The lower I'll pick up eventually locally.

You can not even have the SBR upper and a non-registered/non-tax stamp in hand lower in your possession at the same time. Get the lower, get it registered, order the upper. No worries on having any upper shipped to your house as long as the lower you have in your possession is already registered. You could get the upper shipped to somebody else/you local FFL and have them maintain possession until your lower is legal for the SBR upper.

Do you need the stamp first or the parts first? I am curious because people send off to Krink their AK, but own the rifle before SBRing it. *No, I have no personal interest in a SBR. I am just curious how this all works.*

Buy lower, get it registered as a SBR(tax stamp and what not). Then get your upper and build to your hearts content.

Iraqgunz
06-01-09, 01:41
Oh boy more "constructive intent"!

gogetal3
06-01-09, 15:30
Do you need the stamp first or the parts first? I am just curious how this all works.*

So am I!! And I know there are plenty of vendors on this site full of information on the topic. Just seeking ""constructive information"" and replys ;) as to how this process is done, gathering up info........Before I pay a visit to my local BATF office.