PDA

View Full Version : BUIS as Main Sights ?

August
05-30-09, 22:47
Do any of you use folding back-up sights as the main aiming device for your rifle??

I'm one of the people who think an AR shoot just great with aperture sights. I'm building a light weight carbine and want to employ flip up sights on it without any other fancy stuff.

Has this worked out for anyone???

Thanks

kingc
05-30-09, 23:29
I bought one of the first of the S&W M&P 15 models with the Troy sight and have never decked it with optics. I am extremely pleased with the BUIS only at this point.

I haven't really planned on leaving it this way, but wouldn't really matter.:)

SWATcop556
05-31-09, 00:17
I would not feel unprepared or under skilled if I only had my Larue BUIS on my rifles. If you're going to just run irons I would grab the Larue BUIS. Good price, durable and sturdy, and the weight difference compared to the Troy's would be negligable.

August
05-31-09, 00:24
I would not feel unprepared or under skilled if I only had my Larue BUIS on my rifles. If you're going to just run irons I would grab the Larue BUIS. Good price, durable and sturdy, and the weight difference compared to the Troy's would be negligable.

I was under the impression that the LaRue BUIS was, in fact, a Troy.

DRich
05-31-09, 01:24
I was under the impression that the LaRue BUIS was, in fact, a Troy.

I think he means the Larue Fixed BUIS. That's my choice, as well.

The LMT fixed BUIS is basically a cut carry handle and would be a good choice, too.

bkb0000
05-31-09, 01:34

The LMT fixed BUIS is basically a cut carry handle and would be a good choice, too.

LMT does lock in place and returns to zero better than a chopped carry handle, FWIW. it's also got some contour to it, so it doesn't snag up on shit as easy as a larue or other, also FWIW.

Iraqgunz
05-31-09, 01:42
If you buy a good quaity BUIS you should have no problem.

Marc
05-31-09, 03:30
Plus one for the Larue Fixed buis. Small. Simple. Solid and keep it's zero if tooken of and back.

Marc.
Belgium.

SWATcop556
05-31-09, 04:32

Correct. I was refering to the Larue fixed BUIS. I love the Troy folding sights and use them on variable power optics. On rifles with an RD (Aimpoints) I prefer fixed sights. Sorry for not clarifying in my first post.

I don't own the LMT sight but have used one and it is another quality option.

Failure2Stop
05-31-09, 08:41
I do not understand why someone would choose a folding BUIS over a fixed BUIS on a rifle that will not have optics. A folding BUIS will be less robust than a fixed, if the mounting methods are comparable. Further, why spend more money on a feature that will not only not be used, but will be highly detrimental should it be used?

If you aren't going to be mounting anything else to the receiver, all the rail space paid for by a BUIS is wasted anyway. I think that the most economical answer is a carry handle, which can be had for about $100 new, and much less from someone that is launching theirs for optics mounting.

Beat Trash
05-31-09, 08:53
I feel that if I didn't trust my BUIS to be used as a sole sight in a rifle, then I should reevaluate my choice in back up sights.

With that said, if I were building a simple rifle that was not going to have a RDS, and did not want a carry handle, then I'd go with a fixed sight as others have mentioned.

LaRue or LMT would be my choices.

Failure2Stop summed it up rather well.

YVK
05-31-09, 11:33
When I started with ARs, I paid "homage" to irons and went through 1.5 of LAVs classes with irons as the only sighting system. The conclusions were: 1) I don't like Troy's too much 2) enough is enough and never again...

If this is just for range shooting, then you are fine with irond only, obviously. For HD etc, you need reddot and a flashlight.

RogerinTPA
05-31-09, 11:51
If your iron sight skills are up to the task, you should have no problem. I had a young kid, who looked like a short bus rider, with a Bushy, using old style LBE, in a carbine class. He was scarily accurate and giving all of us RDS folks, a run for our money. :eek:

RD62
05-31-09, 13:05
I have run just an ARMS #40 and on a later rifle an LMT fixed BUIS on rifles. I don't see any reason that there should be an issue with it.

I don't really see if you are just going to use irons, why you'd want/need a folder though.

If I were going to do that at present, I would use a DD fixed rear and standard fixed front sight base. I like the DD. Nice contours. Simple and robust. Low profile, no throw levers or large knobs protruding from the sides like the Larue or LMT, and I've never personally seen a need for a QD rear sight. They are also less expensive than the other two. MSRP is only $69.95.

But that's just my .02

-RD62

sgtrock82
06-01-09, 08:49
+1 for the Larue fixed sight. It is suprisingly light for its size (small) and the protective ears are quite substantial. and no external knobs to get turned accidentally. I have no experience with the LMT but would not be above using the OE carry handle setup if that is what I had.

lanceriley
06-01-09, 08:59
as of the present I have an LMT Fix buis.

but if I want to go all the way without RDS. then I would get an A2 upper reciever.

WyrTwister
06-06-09, 18:20
Do any of you use folding back-up sights as the main aiming device for your rifle??

I'm one of the people who think an AR shoot just great with aperture sights. I'm building a light weight carbine and want to employ flip up sights on it without any other fancy stuff.

Has this worked out for anyone???

Thanks

What does BUIS stand for ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

God bless

SiGfever
06-06-09, 18:40
What does BUIS stand for ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

God bless

"Back Up Iron Sights".

WyrTwister
06-06-09, 20:26
"Back Up Iron Sights".

Thanks , :-)
God bless
Wyr

CTBuilder1
06-06-09, 20:40
When I started with ARs, I paid "homage" to irons and went through 1.5 of LAVs classes with irons as the only sighting system. The conclusions were: 1) I don't like Troy's too much 2) enough is enough and never again...

If this is just for range shooting, then you are fine with irond only, obviously. For HD etc, you need reddot and a flashlight.

What don't you like about the Troy?

YVK
06-06-09, 21:24
What don't you like about the Troy?

Mine is old style front with circular ears, also referred to as AK style. Using these with rear aperture sight creates confusing sight picture. This is a training issue though, and is a relatively soft point; moreover, AR-style post front Troy sight is available now.

The issue I had real problem with was weak aperture detent on rear sight. The aperture selector is kept in position by a pin (I assume, spring-loaded). I think the spring should be stronger, as my aperture selector got knocked out of position during weapons manipulations such as transitions etc. Bringing the weapon up and seeing the rear sight in position between large and small apertures is not a good thing. I did want to send my sight to Troy, but, after examining several rear Troy sights, I didn't find any difference in how much effort it took to move the aperture out of positions.

Jay2984
06-06-09, 23:43
I have a Troy battle sight on my Sabre and thats all I use. I will eventually get some type of optic but cant really afford it right now. I'm happy with just using the irons though.

sdcromer
06-07-09, 20:21
I shot today using a Magpul rear back up sight. It was surprisingly easy to adjust and a very nice sight. It's still on my carbine and I may just leave it there.

dcmdon
06-07-09, 20:31
If you don't care about folding and are on a budget, the YHM is reasonably priced and appears sturdy.

http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/featured.html

I don't use one because I like my rear sight to have elevation adjustment. (I hate fiddling with the front sight)

(putting on my nomex gear) I've got a cheap chinese knockoff of the LMT fixed on my "fun gun". It has worked flawlessly and cost $30. Its a UTG. Flame away but it works great.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR140-7.html

Would I step up and pay for a LMT if I was going into battle with it? Probably. But I'm not. I'm just a normal civilian working on my gun handling skills and marksmanship while having some fun.

Don
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QD4-yihotRQ/Sixq4K3T9II/AAAAAAAAAbo/Vz4X-gR5HX8/s1440/IMG_3836.JPG

CryingWolf
06-07-09, 20:58
My S&W M&P15A came with a Troy rear sight. I like it very much and just used that until I was curious and put a scope on my carbine. Now I am waiting for an EOTech to show up. I would have no problem using the BUIS as a main sight though, if I ever want to keep it simple.

dcmdon
06-07-09, 21:07
One other thing. I have an Arms 40L on my scoped AR. The down side to that sight as a primary is that when it comes up, its got the small aperture set. If you flip the small aperture down to access the large aperture, the sight won't fold.

Don

chavez_e_chavez
06-07-09, 21:54
some people live by BUIS, i have a troy rear and used them a couple of times and Im kinda blind so I like optics on my rifles!!!!:p