PDA

View Full Version : STG556 (AUG-style) made in US.

rsilvers
01-12-07, 21:18
http://www.silencertests.com/albums/album05/STG556.sized.jpg (http://www.silencertests.com/albums/album05/STG556.jpg)
(click for larger image)

rob_s
01-13-07, 06:12
I liked it, mostly. The two things that bugged me were that it was intentionally designed to not take the original AUG mags, and that it has a forward assist.:confused: The guy I talked to at the booth said that they added two rails inside the magwell specifically so it wouldn't take the original mags. The new mags will work in the original gun, but the original mags won't work in the new gun.

I'm sure, however, that enterprising owners will find a way to rectify this.;)

The rest of the changes from the original design all sounded to me like they were upgrades. The way the scope detaches, the bolt release, etc. were all nice features.

TOrrock
01-13-07, 08:32
The cocking handle on the originals was the forward assist....why add another?

Looks good though, I applaud any US manufacturer with the balls to try to bring stuff to market like this.

rsilvers
01-13-07, 20:06
How is the cocking handle on the original a forward assist?

As for the magazines -- no big deal. It is modable -- I looked. They did it so they could let people buy the rifle in NJ and maybe some other states.

SuicideHz
01-13-07, 20:32
It's big enough that you can push on the back of it with your thumb or heel of the hand...

rsilvers
01-13-07, 20:52
I thought it only could move the bolt back but not forward since it does not reciprocate. It is not like an AK where it is directly connected to the bolt.

AR-15A3
01-14-07, 12:45
I thought it only could move the bolt back but not forward since it does not reciprocate. It is not like an AK where it is directly connected to the bolt.
The cocking handles does not reciprocate but with the A1 (which I have a couple) there's a small button on top of it and when pushed connects it to the bolt and could be pushed forward to assist the bolt to close.

The A2 version's cocking handle is triangular shape, no button and is pushed up and forward as FA function.

I like the bolt catch which is similar to the Steyr AUG A3 model if you look at the pictures at the Steyr website, it's closer to the mag loading hand than the cocking handle.

I don't know about the new FA unless I handled it myself, I never used my FA in 17 years of use and never had a FTF but who knows.

Pete was my AUG parts source for a long time since early 2000, he's their project leader and a good guy to deal with.

He no longer sells AUG parts since he joined the MSAR Microtech Small Arms Research company (firearm division of Microtech knife).

Additional info about the STG 556 rifle from PJS website and other sites:

5.56 mm available in 14", 16" and 20" barrels.

6.8 mm SPC will be available as conversion kits only in 14", 16" and 20".

They're currently developing a patent pending suppressed barrel system for the STG 556 rifle and other similar style rifles, the suppressor does NOT come off the barrel, it is as "one unit".

All 1500 Limited Edition STG 556 rifles come with an exclusive Microtech Currahee knife.
Each Microtech Currahee knife will be custom marked STG 556 along with the STG 556 serial number its packaged with.
Along with that each Currahee knife will have STG 556 matching handle & blade color.
($250 Retail Value)

Also all 1500 Limited Edition STG 556 rifles come with an exclusive Pelican rifle case.
Each Pelican case will have custom STG 556 company logo along with the STG 556 serial number its packaged with.
Each Pelican case will be color matched to your Limited Edition STG 556 rifle and have custom STG 556 hard foam cut out.
($250 Retail Value)

Estimated Limited Edition package price is under $2,000 (they will release the actual price when released)

More pictures of parts and pre release ordering info at:

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/

rsilvers
01-15-07, 09:38
Wonder why he did not use the push-button on the handle then. Also wonder why he did not just copy the A3 AUG.

AR-15A3
01-15-07, 15:56
Wonder why he did not use the push-button on the handle then. Also wonder why he did not just copy the A3 AUG.
My guess is that the AR/ M16 type FA could excert more pushing force and easier because it's larger than the original AUG FA design.

The patents on the AUG A1 and A2 FA design had expired and could be copied, they would have a patent problem if they copy the A3 design, it's still patented.

Another feature of the STG 556 is that it have a stronger magazine material than the original AUG but the original mags could not be used on the STG 556.

The new STG 556 mags could be used on the original AUG.

rsilvers
01-15-07, 16:10
Original mags can be used in the STG556 if you either mill a 1/8 inch area on the mag, or mill a 1/8 inch are on the STG556. They did it to make it NJ legal. Trust me, don't worry about it. I looked into it.

As for patents -- are you sure they have US patents pending? Steyr seems hosed in the US as far as I can tell.

AR-15A3
01-15-07, 17:31
Original mags can be used in the STG556 if you either mill a 1/8 inch area on the mag, or mill a 1/8 inch are on the STG556. They did it to make it NJ legal. Trust me, don't worry about it. I looked into it.

As for patents -- are you sure they have US patents pending? Steyr seems hosed in the US as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the info about the mags, if I get the STG 556 I would rather modify it to accept my original AUG mags that I already have.

Most large companies designs are patented to protect their market but Steyr's A3 design are heavy, I'm sure STG 556 and the other US AUG maker TPD AXR rifle that uses only M16 mags would come up with a better rail and rifle design than Steyr.

I have a Steyr AUG A1 16" with NATO-M16 stock conversion (from Pete formerly of PJS Investments) and a standard AUG A1 20" with green stock but I'm thinking of getting the new MSAR STG 556 and the TPD AXR US made clones so I could retire my pre-ban AUGs.

rayray
01-31-07, 23:52
Thats one sweet rifle.

chrisva
02-01-07, 16:52
I'd like some info on the surpressed barrel?
thanks
chris

AR-15A3
02-01-07, 23:22
More detailed info here about the STG-556 rifle features, parts and accessories (Adobe pdf file download):

Microtech Small Arms Research MSAR STG-556 website link (http://www.microtechknives.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=58)

Cesiumsponge
03-01-07, 23:08
I have one of these reserved through a Microtech dealer and was quoted an April-May timeframe but I never take release dates too seriously. The limited edition first production run of 1500 are supposed to be broken down to 500 each of: black, tan, OD green.

I have seen some various people on the Internet complain that the STG isn't an exact AUG copy. I would wonder why on Earth would you want an exact copy of an -existing- firearm. I can't think of any other reason other than not wanting to pay the $2000+ premium for an original one over a new production "similar" model.

Personally I think it'll be great since you can shoot something AUG-like without devaluing an original if it's being saved for collector's value. Brand new parts, new gun smell.

TigerStripe
01-21-08, 20:07
I held one yesterday and it felt like a natural extension of my body. My question is, how fast can you make a tac reload with the mag where it is?

TIA,

TS

scottryan
01-23-08, 10:44
Too much deviation away from the AUG pattern...

Ross
01-23-08, 16:31
I've seen two of them for sale in this region. Both black, one was the full kit deal at $2200, and the other the standard version at $1995.

I liked it. It handled quite well and I found that ignoring the FA was as easy as ignoring the bayonet lug on a 16" AR. I was playing with the rifle for a while before I remembered that it supposedly had the AR-type FA and actually had to look for it. It's kinda odd being there, but it's no factor IMO.

Definately WELL built, and it's pretty hard to resist. The only thing keeping me from buying it now is money. The gun IS expensive and you have to buy mags that are expensive as well.

Aug mags fit if you sand down part of one of the ribs on the mag. Easy and quick mod.

I've always liked bullpups, and this one was indeed NICE.

TigerStripe
01-23-08, 18:10
They should offer a red or illuminated reticle on the standard version. It couldn't change the AUG look too much. If they had that, even the price tag wouldn't stop me...

TS

markm
01-24-08, 11:25
I just got this email from a friend...

<Name removed> just got one of the Microtech Aug things. When he received it last week he noticed a blown primer in the lower receiver. He also noticed the barrel had no rifling. It was a chrome lined smooth bore. I'm sure pressures were plenty high when the test fire bullets were squeezed down a bore with no grooves.

The rifle went back to Microtech and was given a new barrel and inspected. They also gave him a bunch of mags and a flat top mount for his trouble.

He hopes to shoot it for the first time and demo it for some of the SWAT guys today. I wonder if it will run.

SuicideHz
01-24-08, 11:42
I just got this email from a friend...

That's this rifle or another rifle? No rifling? WTF?

variablebinary
01-24-08, 13:32
Too much deviation away from the AUG pattern...

But these guns arent supposed to be AUG's. They are improvements!

markm
01-24-08, 15:25
That's this rifle or another rifle? No rifling? WTF?

This one.

SuicideHz
02-16-08, 23:59
I just handled this rifle at the gun show today. This dealer had #67 in each of the three colors, in special packages with the pelican cases, one of each size mag and a Curahee knife.

The 42 round mag fit well and didn't seem too big at all, especially when the rifle was shouldered.

My only complaint was the 1.5x or 2x magnification. Seems pointless- a lot like the FN ps90 "optics."

I do believe the scope comes off and a rail can be added in place, right?

ETA: He wanted $2600 per... Is he insane or is this what they will cost?

Ed L.
02-17-08, 18:30
$2600 is very overpriced for the MSTAR 556. You can find them selling online for $1800 or a bit less.

SuicideHz
02-17-08, 20:17
With Pelican case, Curahee and all the mags and accessories?

TheBadGuy
02-19-08, 17:51
With Pelican case, Curahee and all the mags and accessories?

No, thats the price of the base rifle. The limited edition package to which you are referring was available for pre-order for $2050 and then once the guns started shipping, the price of the limited edition package was bumped up to $2500. Those prices were direct from MSAR

I have one of the limited edition rifles. It was one of the first out of the factory and I had to send it in for a recall. Since the recall, I have about 1,000 rounds through mine trouble free.

davemcdonald
02-19-08, 18:10
Does anybody know if it is possible to convert one of these over to use USGI/PMag magazines?

TheBadGuy
02-19-08, 18:11
I don't think so. If you figure that one out, you'll be the first

It is possible to make standard Aug mags work in it with alittle dremel action

m3275
10-25-08, 12:27
At the AUSA show in the Colt booth, they had a M4 with forward placed charging/ forward assist handle that slid from side to side to accomadate either hand. The handle does not move with the bolt. The front grips were a rail system. They had a suppressor built into the barrel. Another neat feature was a wiper system that alleviates the door cover.

scottryan
10-25-08, 18:28
But these guns arent supposed to be AUG's. They are improvements!

The forward assist and other AR-15 style features of the Microtech rifle have been removed.

Just as I predicted from day one.

JoshNC
10-28-08, 10:25
The forward assist and other AR-15 style features of the Microtech rifle have been removed.

Just as I predicted from day one.

Now if they would just make the STG556 compatible with Steyr AUG compenents, they would have a winner. I cannot believe that they made a rifle that looks and functions like an AUG, but that is not actually compatible with any AUG parts.

Dave L.
12-24-08, 12:32
Someone told me the new STG models have no forward assist and they are now compatible with AUG mags. Can anyone confirm this?

jhs1969
12-24-08, 15:21
Someone told me the new STG models have no forward assist and they are now compatible with AUG mags. Can anyone confirm this?

Saw one for sale on gun broker that stated it was the 'latest verison' with out the AR style FA and used AUG mags FWIW.

This rifle is begining to look intresting to me, still want to see the SD/Steyr AUG though.

Could someone chime in with a range report/impression?

Cagemonkey
12-27-08, 21:05
Their website states that they have eliminated the bolt assist and made their rifles compatible with AUG mags. Just bought a MSAR STG 556. It has no bolt assist.

Scattergun
12-28-08, 12:59
mine has no forward assist. I am pleased with it so far. I have only fired about 150rds, but no problems. The trigger is better than I was expecting. The bullpup design takes a little getting use to after shooting ARs.