PDA

View Full Version : Our New HK Pistols: Love 'Em!

06-01-09, 16:29
Recently had the HK USP Tactical .45 and the USP Compact .45 finally get here. These seem to be very well made and of exceptional quality. Ran 250 rds. of Winchester 230gr. FMJ Target/Range ammo. through the full size .45 w/o a problem. Ate it up and spit it out. I have large hands so the gun fits me well. The Compact is for the wife. Thread protectors on the way. Thinking of buying the threaded barrel for the Compact for the heck of it. The Tac. simply feels like a piece of quality work as does the Compact.

I have read all of the remarks, comments, and AAR's for the G17 and G19 and how certain well regarded people highly recommend them. I must admit I am going to try them out. Maybe these HK's will become safe queens, maybe not. I'm open to trying out the Glocks. We are going to be taking several training classes at Blackwater and Viking so we should be able to look, listen, study, try out, and come to a decision. My wife and I will make a decesion over the next couple of months and then train with the gun of choice, be it HK or Glock.

11Bravo
06-01-09, 17:12
You know what you need....?

You need a standard USP .45 full size in all black to round out the collection; a trifecta as it were. :D
Oh, wait a minute, I just happen to have one I could sell you. :eek:
I mean, sheesh, it really would be a shame to be that close to perfection and come up just that little bit short. :p

IrishDevil
06-01-09, 17:54
May I ask why you decided to go with the USP series? They are quality guns but outdated. The HK45, P30, and P2000 really make the USP obsolete.

I'm certainly not bashing your choice, it's just odd to see people still go for the USP.

loupav
06-01-09, 18:12
If I was going carry a particular weapon system with my wife it would have interchangeable magazines. I mean after all, why not?

P2000/USP Compact in the same caliber use the same magazines.
Glock 19/17 is also a good idea.
Sig P226/P228 in 9mm

Or if you want, trade the Tactical in for a HK45 and it's magazines can be used in a USP Compact 45.

Just my thoughts.

loupav
06-01-09, 18:19
PS. Great looking Tactical. I love that pistol!

06-01-09, 18:42
Bought them on closeout special and saved apprx. $300. That's a lot of coin that can go for a class. Also, the USP full size holds 12 and the HK45 holds 10. In a pinch, that may mean something.

forgiven
06-02-09, 00:35
Bought them on closeout special and saved apprx. $300. That's a lot of coin that can go for a class. Also, the USP full size holds 12 and the HK45 holds 10. In a pinch, that may mean something.

+1, and IMO the USP is not outdated, most companies haven't caught up to it, 20yrs later.

loupav
06-02-09, 00:43
I wasn't slamming your choice. I'm a big HK fan and I'm sure that both pistols will serve you well throughout the years. I was just saying that if I was too... This is the way I would go.

Either way, 10 rounds or 12 rounds of .45 auto, ain't nothing to laugh at.

Sobriquet
06-02-09, 03:20
Carry it in good health, 6933. That Tactical sure is gorgeous. I wish we could have cans here. It's probably better for my bank account that we can't.

jtb0311
06-02-09, 15:50
May I ask why you decided to go with the USP series? They are quality guns but outdated. The HK45, P30, and P2000 really make the USP obsolete.

I'm certainly not bashing your choice, it's just odd to see people still go for the USP.

Why do you think the USP is outdated?

IrishDevil
06-02-09, 19:27
My thinking comes from three issues: bulky, poor ergos(compared to the newer guns), and proprietary frame rail. The newer guns are product improved USP's.

I personally like the USP, but I can only give it 2 positives: accurate and reliable
Not that those positives are anything to dismiss.

I currently own 4 HK handguns(HK45/45C, P30/P30L), so I'm in no way a "hater". In the end, it all comes down to what works for the individual.

Gunzilla
06-03-09, 14:54
+1, and IMO the USP is not outdated, most companies haven't caught up to it, 20yrs later.

Hell.....most haven't even caught up to the P7 PSP, and that's closer to 30 years old.

The NEW HKs may be as well made and engineered as any H&K ever has, but some (even the 9MMs) are just butt ugly and look large next to the P7....but that's just my opinion.

:D

mrosamilia
06-03-09, 19:24
I must agree to disagree. I have the HK45 and sold the HK45C. I like the ergos and function better than USP. Now that I have said that, I sold my P30 the day I touched my USP compact 9. I know I know the ergos on the P30 are superior, but I just love how the USP9c points and shoots for me call me crazy.

JiMfraRED1911
06-03-09, 23:56
Different strokes for different folks, but HK has done their homework (actually listening to SHOOTERS, not ignoring them and letting the engineers have at it) on the newer guns.

loupav
06-04-09, 01:03
I too am a big HK fan. My favorite 9mm pistol use to be a USP Compact 9mm, until I picked up a P2000. Since then my USP Compact has been a safe queen. I just paid off my Second HK45. But I doubt it will replace my USP 45 anytime soon. I just shoot that gun too well.

Let's just all agree, HK Rocks. :D

sigmundsauer
06-04-09, 08:21
While I'll agree that the ergo-engineering on the newer HK's is indeed better for a wider population of shooters, it only matters if you were in the small population that the standard HK's wouldn't work for you. Bulk is marginally improved, and the rail is useless for my purposes either way. Not so for others, I know.

The USP series is a fine pistol, regardless. My biggest complaint about the full sized USPs are the recoil reduction system (dual spring) that makes for unpredictable recoil characteristics. The compact version is much better, imo.

Tim