PDA

View Full Version : RW SpecOps in Afghanistan

DrMark
06-01-09, 18:13
I recently attended a briefing by Colonel Steven C. Hadley MD, HH-60 Pilot-Physician, USAF. The briefing was entitled "Rotary Wing Special Operations in Afghanistan," and basically consisted of him telling the stories of a few missions in which he had a major role.

Colonel Hadley mentioned that the only reason these missions could be discussed is because DoD had approved the discussion for an upcoming book. "...Worth dying for" is in the title, but I don't remember the full title (perhaps someone reading this will). The briefing was awe-inspiring and inspirational, a real tribute to those serving, past & present.

I'm really looking forward to the book, and thought this was worth sharing.

Colonel Hadley's Bio:
Colonel Steven Hadley, MD, is one of ten USAF Pilot-Physicians: fully rated operational pilots concurrently functioning as trained physicians. He is an HH60G (PaveHawk) Pilot-Physician with over 4000 flight hours including 1500 NVG and 1500 Instructor Pilot flight hours. Colonel Hadley served four combat tours including commander, 366 Rescue Squadron (a flying squadron), ONW, 1999; Operations Officer, Joint Special Operations Aviation Component, OEF, 2001-2002; Flight Surgeon, 160 Special Operations Regiment, ODS, 1990-1991; and Pilot-Physician and flight surgeon, OEF, 2003. Colonel Hadley has served as a pilot on 51 combat missions. He completed five rescues behind enemy lines in OEF, was directly credited with saving 24 soldiers lives and was wounded in combat. Colonel Hadley is a West Point and USUHS graduate. He served twenty years in the Army and eight years in the USAF. He is American College of Surgeons State Faculty for Trauma Instruction and is also a current practicing eye surgeon, completing over 150 surgeries a year.

OPSEC Note: The briefing was given to an international audience of military/non-military. It was not limited distribution information.

SeriousStudent
06-01-09, 18:35
Wow, that should be an interesting read. I'd love to buy a copy when it is published.

Col. Hadley sounds like a very impressive officer. Please let us know the name of the book, when you find it.

DrMark
06-02-09, 13:50
Wow, that should be an interesting read. I'd love to buy a copy when it is published.

Col. Hadley sounds like a very impressive officer. Please let us know the name of the book, when you find it.

Will do.

I think it's supposed to be released on 9/11 of this year.