PDA

View Full Version : Good deal for a Bushmaster carbine?

jasonb
06-01-09, 21:09
I have an opportunity to buy a Bushmaster carbine. I have not seen it yet, but based on what my friend who has seen it told me is that it has a perm attached brake of some sort, a collapsable stock, and a standard A2 upper. He said it has some finish wear on some of the high spots. I can have it for $600.

Before the kicking and screaming starts;) It will not be a primary defensive rifle(that's what my LMT is for), at least until I get it unf***ed with a little help from Grant.

I do have a couple questions though before I plunk down my money:

Does Bushmaster use commercial or mil. receiver extensions?
Could I remove the brake myself, or does it have to be sent to ADCO?
Are their barrels worth reinstalling on a flat top upper?

Is there anything else I should know? I will hopefull be able to see it and possibly buy it later this week. I reckon I won't lose money on it if I were to do some minor upgrades on it and sell it.

Thank you!

NetJunkie
06-01-09, 21:19
How much is all that work and fixing the problems going to cost?

The_War_Wagon
06-01-09, 21:33
For a fart-around, fixer-upper project, what the heck. Some folks would rather retore an old car, than BUY a RESTORED car, so hey - if you enjoy doing that, go for it. :D

ST911
06-01-09, 22:19
I have an opportunity to buy a Bushmaster carbine. I have not seen it yet, but based on what my friend who has seen it told me is that it has a perm attached brake of some sort, a collapsable stock, and a standard A2 upper. He said it has some finish wear on some of the high spots. I can have it for $600. Before the kicking and screaming starts;) It will not be a primary defensive rifle(that's what my LMT is for), at least until I get it unf***ed with a little help from Grant. I do have a couple questions though before I plunk down my money:

Does Bushmaster use commercial or mil. receiver extensions?
Could I remove the brake myself, or does it have to be sent to ADCO?
Are their barrels worth reinstalling on a flat top upper?!

It's a commercial extension. Not a deal breaker, but suboptimal.

If the brake is threaded on and pinned, you can remove it yourself if you're handy with a dremel and careful.

If the chamber is actually 5.56, and they generally are, the barrel is a keeper. If not, ream it.

Replace the BCG for $130-$150. At a minimum, replace the bolt and stake the exsisting key.

Removal of the brake and replacement with a GI FH can be done for ~$10.

Replacement of the upper receiver can be done for ~$100.

At $600 I'd buy it, if only to turn it over down the line. Someone will pay more for it.

bkb0000
06-01-09, 22:41
buy it. you could part it out for twice that.. people looooove bushmaster.

jasonb
06-22-09, 20:55
Update:

I have been patiently waiting for my buddy to call the owner who is friends with his father. After all the phone tag was complete, the price had gone up to $800 and it it was headed to a gun shop on consignemnt. :mad:

SO I bought another complete LMT lower assy for $320 and signed up for a training class. This is probably for the better, as buying it to make a profit in the current market would have probably blown up in my face.

Pappabear
06-23-09, 00:49
Anytime you go from Bushy to LMT, its a good thing.

thedog
06-24-09, 00:17
Update:

I have been patiently waiting for my buddy to call the owner who is friends with his father. After all the phone tag was complete, the price had gone up to $800 and it it was headed to a gun shop on consignemnt. :mad:

SO I bought another complete LMT lower assy for $320 and signed up for a training class. This is probably for the better, as buying it to make a profit in the current market would have probably blown up in my face.

I love my Bushmaster, but it seems you have answered your own question here! Good job!
dOg

C4IGrant
06-24-09, 09:47
Pass on it. Not worth the hassle.

C4