PDA

View Full Version : Colt M4 22LR

kwelz
06-02-09, 00:25
What the heck is up with these. I saw them at 2 gun stores today. They seemed ok for 650 bucks. I am 100% sure Colt doesn't make these but I am not sure who does the actual work.

Many of the components seem to be standard AR15 parts handguns, sights, etc seem, to be standard although I can't speak to the quality. The upper and lower appear to be pinned together somehow so I don't know how it is cleaned/dissembled.

So does anyone know the deal on these? Obviously they are more toys than anything. But then again so is my GSG5 and I love it too.

platypusREX
06-02-09, 01:39
http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?page=umarex_colt_m4_carbine_in_22lr_for_sale

rob_s
06-02-09, 04:24
Saw them at SHOT in the Umarex booth (the actual maker). pass, big time. If you already have an M4 spend the $650 on a quality .22 upper from Spike's or Tactical Solutions. You'll be glad you did.

cr420
06-02-09, 21:23
Rob S,

Big thanks to you. I saw one today, fell in love, and was gathering stuff I did not really want to get rid of to get it. Your post gave me food for thought. Thanks

NetJunkie
06-02-09, 21:57
Saw them at SHOT in the Umarex booth (the actual maker). pass, big time. If you already have an M4 spend the $650 on a quality .22 upper from Spike's or Tactical Solutions. You'll be glad you did.

Sure it's Umarex on the Colts? The one I held today was made by Walther. I was surprised at how good it felt compared to like the GSG.

Frens
06-03-09, 01:15
Umarex owns Walther;
Colt gave the permission to use Colt's logo on these .22 rifles

Ricardus
06-03-09, 08:21

What rob_s said. I saw them this last weekend at the gun show and they looked like crap!:eek: I would not spend $250 on them. I can't believe Colt lent them their name, what whores!:mad:

markm
06-03-09, 08:27
This whole rimfire conversion thing is nonsense in my opinion.

Buy a ****ing 10/22. At least you won't have to spend time and money trying to get these stupid kits to work.

Steve
06-03-09, 08:27
Wait for smith's 22 to hit the self around august.,

Humm my 22 conversion kits run just fine.

rob_s
06-03-09, 09:04

Buy a ****ing 10/22. At least you won't have to spend time and money trying to get these stupid kits to work.

Are you talking strictly conversions, or whole uppers, and do you understand that the original post is all about complete dedicated guns designed from the ground up as .22s?

Rik
06-03-09, 10:11
Rimfire conversions on the 'big' guns (AR and pistol) make training weapon controls and handling to my significant other a lot easier. She doesn't like the muzzle blast, noise, and recoil. You know all that goodness that comes with pulling the trigger on a centerfire gun.

However, she loves shooting a .22LR.

So my reasoning is that with the 22 conversions kits she at least learns the weapon controls and handling on the 'big' guns. Then when these 'big' guns may be needed for socializing she will be so pumped up with adrenaline that muzzle blast, noise, and recoil are something that will not be noticed or cared for.

Just my opinion. :)

jrainer
06-03-09, 10:17
Speaking of the smith and wesson m&p 15-22 anyboby have any better Idea as to when that will be available??

Bimmer
06-03-09, 13:33
Humm my 22 conversion kits run just fine.

+1

And +1 what Rik said, too.

pm40
06-03-09, 14:19
I talked to the S&W rep at the NRA convention several weeks ago,he said it should be avalible sometime in July in the 499.00 range.

Jeep297
06-03-09, 17:08
Speaking of the smith and wesson m&p 15-22 anyboby have any better Idea as to when that will be available??

I read that it has a polymer upper and lower....In my opinion money is better spent on a good quality dedicated upper like Spikes than the "Colt" .22 or upcoming S&W.

Ed L.
06-03-09, 17:18

The point is to be able to have something with the same feel and manual of arms of your AR that can fire less expensive ammo (compare the price of 1000 rds of .22 LR to 1000 rounds of .223). The 10/22 fails in this regard.

jrainer
06-03-09, 17:20
Jeep I'm more looking for something for my girlfriend as she likes my rifle but hates the recoil of the larger calibers she loves shooting her pink 10/22. The dedicated upper just doesn't work for me because while she's playing with hers. I wanna play with mine:cool:

Jeep297
06-03-09, 18:06
Jeep I'm more looking for something for my girlfriend as she likes my rifle but hates the recoil of the larger calibers she loves shooting her pink 10/22. The dedicated upper just doesn't work for me because while she's playing with hers. I wanna play with mine:cool:

I know what you mean. I started off buying my wife a GSG-5 to give her something to enjoy while I shot my own rifles. She loved it but the quality wasn't the greatest so I ended up buying her a Spikes upper and gave her one of my lowers. She couldn't be happier and ask me when we can go to the range now :D. I really like the GSG, which is much like the "Colt" .22 in quality, but they feel a little to airsoft. The Spikes upper however, is much more on par with the quality of my other ARs. If you can get a cheap lower somewhere I would strongly consider it. You'll be happier in the long run.

bullitt5172
06-03-09, 20:52
I haven't seen one in person yet but I have no reason to move away from my CMMG conversion kit (OK, OK it's really Steve's but his not getting it back) or my Spikes ST-22. Both are 100% reliable and fun to shoot....