PDA

View Full Version : Magpul's new Trigger Guard

C4IGrant
06-02-09, 09:00
Just got some of the new Magpul polymer Trigger Guards in. They look good and are quite a bit cheaper than the metal ones.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Magpul/TG_Plastic.jpg

citizensoldier16
06-02-09, 10:01
Grant, any idea why Magpul went ahead with manufacturing of the polymer version of the trigger guard? It seems to me that the metallic version would be more resilient to impacts and fits the bill just fine as a drop-in trigger guard replacement for the original design. Is there considerable differences in price and/or weight?

lanceriley
06-02-09, 10:06
maybe so we can save another ounce of weight ;)

mmike87
06-02-09, 10:07
More options are always good. I think the metal one kicks butt and I have one on all four of my rifles.

LOKNLOD
06-02-09, 10:10
Grant, any idea why Magpul went ahead with manufacturing of the polymer version of the trigger guard? It seems to me that the metallic version would be more resilient to impacts and fits the bill just fine as a drop-in trigger guard replacement for the original design. Is there considerable differences in price and/or weight?

It's quite a bit cheaper...

I also don't think there's much risk of any massive impacts directly to the trigger guard. It's fairly well shielded by the grip and magazine.

C4IGrant
06-02-09, 10:55

I cannot answer that for sure other than to say that some people will like the "looks" of it along with the cheaper cost.

C4

Remy
06-02-09, 13:24
Personally......I get sick and tired of plastic displacing metal parts, day after day. A part as small as a triggerguard is not going to save ANY significant weight going to plastic------that idea is ridiculous!!!!

Plastic has it's place.........but sometimes its use is overdone. If magpul quits making it's metal triggerguard then they have lost me as a customer. I will bet I am not the only person that feels that way.

decodeddiesel
06-02-09, 13:38
Personally......I get sick and tired of plastic displacing metal parts, day after day. A part as small as a triggerguard is not going to save ANY significant weight going to plastic------that idea is ridiculous!!!!

Plastic has it's place.........but sometimes its use is overdone. If magpul quits making it's metal triggerguard then they have lost me as a customer. I will bet I am not the only person that feels that way.

First of all it's not plastic, it is polymer.

Secondly it is cheaper for the end user and using plastic instead of aluminum in no way compromises the functionality of the part nor of the host weapon system. In fact I would be willing to bet it has more favorable thermal and strength properties over it's aluminum counterpart.

A lot of people had "issues" with using P-mags too when they first came out. We now can see those misgivings were completely misplaced. Polymer works, pure and simple.

CC556
06-02-09, 13:41

I totally understand this sentiment, and I share it. There are some things though which can actually be improved with the use of modern polymers. Think of Glock's frames, and PMags. Those are applications where there are numerous advantages to using polymers. That said, the use of cheap plastic by manufacturers only looking to cut costs is really sad, and those products are ones I won't touch.

EDIT: I'm not at all bashing Magpul for this polymer trigger guard. I think this is one of the applications where polymer can be used with no loss in function, and possibly an improvement in durability over a thin metal part.

Dr. Quickdraw Mcgraw
06-02-09, 13:54
:confused: So you guys are pissed that one of the most innovative firearms accessory manufactures, a manufacture who got their start by making polymer parts and who makes the best magazines on the market, a magazine which is polymer BTW, is now continuing to innovate and make more polymer parts?? Not to mention that this "plastic" part that you are so peeved about is going onto a gun that is already derided for being a "tupperware" gun. If you were talking about a triggerguard for a walnut and blued metal hunting rifle I might see where you are coming from, but this rant about "plastic parts" is just stupid when applied to an AR15. :rolleyes:

LOKNLOD
06-02-09, 14:10
Sheesh guys, we're really stretching for stuff to get bent out of shape about, aren't we?

There are plenty of applications where I share your sentiments about replacing functional metal pieces with cheap plastic junk. Thankfully, this is exactly the kind of application where polymer makes good sense.

But honestly.....the TRIGGER GUARD? It's not load bearing part, not under stress or tension, not temperature cycling, and not even critical to the weapons operation. How is it that the grip and stock, both larger parts crucial to controlling the weapon, are okay to be plastic, but heaven forbid this tiny stick of aluminum be replaced with polymer. Apparently I missed the memo that if my triggerguard fails my entire lower will explode shards to anodized death into my face.

Magpul came up with a slick design for the guard in aluminum, but it was expensive. $20 for a triggerguard is danged pricey. So they come out with a less expensive polymer version, and people are bitching and moaning. Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, people! If you don't want one, feel free to use a standard one or pay an extra 12 bucks for the aluminum one.

CarlosDJackal
06-02-09, 14:35
What's the MSRP for the polymer trigger guards?

Slater
06-02-09, 14:54
The Remington Express and Mossberg 500/590 shotguns (at least the ones I've handled) went to plastic trigger guards quite some time ago. I'm not aware of any failure complaints on these components, although many decry this as a "cheapening" of the product.

hatt
06-02-09, 15:32
The Remington Express and Mossberg 500/590 shotguns (at least the ones I've handled) went to plastic trigger guards quite some time ago. I'm not aware of any failure complaints on these components, although many decry this as a "cheapening" of the product.

Apples to oranges comparison here IMO. Aftermarket parts by Magpul are likely an upgrade in almost every case over the original part. Cheap plastic parts on traditional rifles and shotguns were simple to save a buck or two here and there and just lessen the guns to me. And yes these parts do fail when original parts would have not.

RD62
06-02-09, 15:34
The integral trigger guard included with the MIAD full kit has been polymer for years. I haven't seen anyone complaining about it, other than maybe its included on the finger groved front strap. I haven't seen anyone have any trouble with it either. I know I haven't.

Good job MAGPUL! Carry on!

-RD62

snellkid
06-02-09, 15:39
On the 25th of May on the Magpul site they were $7.95, I ordered one along with a couple of other items, on the 26th of May, Magpul listed it at $8.95, my order is still pending?

If people get bent out of shape today over a Polymer Trigger gaurd, wait a few years, They'll absolutely melt down when they look at the car in thier driveway.

SHIVAN
06-02-09, 15:43
I think the original milspec triggerguard is a piece of plastic, with a captured metal pivot pin, right?

They made it because they can. I guarantee the ONLY place this is so hotly discussed will be on the internet.

I think it's a great idea, and will probably like it BETTER then the metal one, because I can contour it easier to fit different weapons with no sharp edges -- like the SIG556.

chadbag
06-02-09, 15:44
I have no inside info but I doubt the metal one will be discontinued.

The new trigger guards are part of the MOE line. The MOE line is the inexpensive line of upgrades.

CC556
06-02-09, 15:53
I think the original milspec triggerguard is a piece of plastic, with a captured metal pivot pin, right?

They made it because they can. I guarantee the ONLY place this is so hotly discussed will be on the internet.

I think it's a great idea, and will probably like it BETTER then the metal one, because I can contour it easier to fit different weapons with no sharp edges -- like the SIG556.

I've seen plastic and metal ones. I don't know what's milspec though. My Stag LPK came with a metal one.

N4LtRecce
06-02-09, 16:04
Sheesh guys, we're really stretching for stuff to get bent out of shape about, aren't we?

There are plenty of applications where I share your sentiments about replacing functional metal pieces with cheap plastic junk. Thankfully, this is exactly the kind of application where polymer makes good sense.

But honestly.....the TRIGGER GUARD? It's not load bearing part, not under stress or tension, not temperature cycling, and not even critical to the weapons operation. How is it that the grip and stock, both larger parts crucial to controlling the weapon, are okay to be plastic, but heaven forbid this tiny stick of aluminum be replaced with polymer. Apparently I missed the memo that if my triggerguard fails my entire lower will explode shards to anodized death into my face.

Magpul came up with a slick design for the guard in aluminum, but it was expensive. $20 for a triggerguard is danged pricey. So they come out with a less expensive polymer version, and people are bitching and moaning. Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, people! If you don't want one, feel free to use a standard one or pay an extra 12 bucks for the aluminum one.

Bingo! ;)

markm
06-02-09, 16:16
Ha! It's a trigger guard homo fight!!:p

steve-oh
06-02-09, 16:32
I cannot answer that for sure other than to say that some people will like the "looks" of it along with the cheaper cost.

C4

That's the only reason I might buy one. They look cool. It's the only reason I bought the original anyways; try telling people that the original guard folds down for gloves and they look at you like you're missing the point.

firemike
06-02-09, 17:41
"Ha! It's a trigger guard homo fight!!"

That is Some Damn Funny Truth Right There !!

seb5
06-02-09, 17:54
I don't like the factory trigger guards. They wear out my fingers with the sharp edge. I've tried both Magpul aluminum types, the RRA, and the Sully. Plastic/polymer/synthetic, who cares. They all work fine. I have the aluminum on 4 of my carbines and prefer it to all others.

Now, the cost issue. Nobody will save any money by using the MOE trigger guard if they are pulling off the factory guards and claiming money savings. Then they are practicing what is called a false economy. It's not about saving money. It's about utilizing decent products to either improve or personalize your carbine. Nothing more. I'll try one eventually and I don't even think I'll like them. For the cost of lunch I'll try it and pass it on if I don't like it.

Iraqgunz
06-02-09, 18:14
The MILSPEC ones are made of aluminum. Bushamster uses plastic ones on their carbines and I have replaced about 5 of them over here. I personally think they are shit and would love to replace them.

I've seen plastic and metal ones. I don't know what's milspec though. My Stag LPK came with a metal one.

Garrasa
06-02-09, 18:16
I've had no problems with the polymer trigger guard and have been using it with my rifle ever since i bought it (it came with the full MIAD grip kit) It worked so I never really thought about replacing it, never had any problems with heat or durability (granted it hasn't gone threw thousands of rounds)

But with that being said, I'll prolly buy this because 1.) the polymer trigger guard that I'm using right now works and works very well. but It's attached to the front strap (the F4 strap) and it didn't come with another trigger guard so I haven't been able to switch to the F1, which i prefer with me and my big hands. and 2.) I'm a high school senior about to graduate that just recently lost his job and hasn't been able to get a new one so I'm tight on cash until graduation.

So from my perspective, this is a cheap, effective, and durable alternative to the aluminum one.

Byron
06-02-09, 18:17
Now, the cost issue. Nobody will save any money by using the MOE trigger guard if they are pulling off the factory guards and claiming money savings. Then they are practicing what is called a false economy. It's not about saving money. It's about utilizing decent products to either improve or personalize your carbine. Nothing more. I'll try one eventually and I don't even think I'll like them. For the cost of lunch I'll try it and pass it on if I don't like it.
No one is claiming that it costs less than doing nothing to a stock carbine. The point is that it costs less than half the Magpul aluminum trigger guard. If someone wants to get Magpul enhanced trigger guards, that does indeed represent savings through this new option.

That's not a false economy, by the way. A false economy is by definition the purchase of a cheap product for initial savings, but losing more than your original savings in the long term. A false economy would be buying a cheap carbine for the "cost savings" and then spending more to get it up to spec than you would have on a decent carbine in the first place.

Unless you are arguing that the polymer trigger guard will break down in the long run and require replacement by the user, it is not a false economy. I'm sure the Magpul polymer trigger guard will last as long as you need it to: you'd be hard pressed to convince me that the savings over the aluminum version will be offset by some catastrophic trigger guard failure down the line :p

spamsammich
06-02-09, 18:46
Dammit, I just realized my MIAD trigger guard is plastic. They just lost them a customer, I hope they're happy. I'm taking them off the Christmas card list and everything! EVERYTHING!!!!!

Alex F
06-02-09, 18:49

I've never seen an issued plastic trigger guard. Every rifle I was ever issued had an aluminum one.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there weren't plastic ones, and as has been said this is probably one part that it really doesn't matter what it's made of as long as it's somewhat sturdy and lightweight.

nhstk02
06-02-09, 19:59
Apples to oranges comparison here IMO. Aftermarket parts by Magpul are likely an upgrade in almost every case over the original part. Cheap plastic parts on traditional rifles and shotguns were simple to save a buck or two here and there and just lessen the guns to me. And yes these parts do fail when original parts would have not.

my thoughts exactlly.

C4IGrant
06-02-09, 20:13

I don't think anyone has said that the MOE trigger guard is replacing the standard (metal)one.

C4

SHIVAN
06-02-09, 20:34
I may have misspoken in regards to the a milspec gun, which is why I asked. I do know I have some plastic triggerguards in my "take off" parts bin, and I have only ever bought COLT, LMT, RRA, and ArmaLite complete lowers. So one or more of those vendors uses plastic all, or some of the time.

The one on my factory fresh 6920 is aluminum from the looks of it. All the other ones are made by Magpul, either MIAD or stand alone aluminum.

I still contend this will only be a hotly contested item on the internet. Thousands will be sold, and thousands will serve perfectly well without any drama whatsoever.

Lastly, Magpul has always been a "polymer technology" company -- so why the shock when they mold something from polymer??

welchtactical
06-02-09, 20:57
Once one has used the weapon system that the plastic trigger guard goes into for it's intended purpose, which is more than weekend shooting at the local range or pretty'n one up to post pics of on the web, the fact that it be plastic or metal doesn't matter. The fact that you can get in there with gloves, is cool. The fact a officer or Joe can get that part cheaper, also cool. Also freeing up some machining and cost for magpul so they can make more great products that make dropping bad guys easier, most cool.

CarlosDJackal
06-02-09, 21:07
What was that phone number again? :confused:

Oh yeah: 1-800-WAA-AAAH :D

mtdawg169
06-02-09, 22:19
Ha! It's a trigger guard homo fight!!:p

No Kidding! It's simply another option and it's economical. If you prefer the AL version, then use that one. I don't have a need for one of these, but someone will. Magpul makes awesome gear and all it takes is one product that may not suit everyone and you guys are prepared to write them off. It's ridiculous. Quit pissing in a thread intended to show off a new product.

Eric
06-03-09, 00:13
The MOE line is geared toward OEM use and a more economical line for those who feel the need. Don't get yourself worked up over nothing, it's just another option. While I certainly don't have any data to back it up, the MOE trigger guard appears to be every bit as strong, if not stronger, than the standard mil-spec type.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Magpul/IMG_6453.jpg

Byron
06-03-09, 06:01
Thanks for that picture, Eric. It looks like these install via screws similar to the MIAD trigger guard. Is that correct?

bobbo
06-03-09, 07:42
IMO Kudos to Magpul for bringing the style and functionality of their enhanced trigger guard to the consumer at an even lower price point. I'm guessing that's their intention.

Alex F
06-03-09, 08:41
I like that, I may have to get one to try out. It's at the right price point where if I don't, I'm not out much.

Not to mention, someone will buy it off me.

Frens
06-03-09, 08:51
they can now put their logo on it easily :p
even if made of polymer I think its shape will add strenght

Nathan_Bell
06-03-09, 09:57

Oh the horror! Your hand that is wrapped around a PLASTIC pistol grip may actually come in contact with a PLASTIC trigger guard.

WTF are you doing to your TG that going with a plastic one, which knowing Magpul is probably still stronger than the factory metal unit, would be so detrimental to the future functioning of your AR?

C4IGrant
06-03-09, 10:27
We have them up on our website if anyone wants one: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MOE-TG

C4

Eric
06-03-09, 14:51
Thanks for that picture, Eric. It looks like these install via screws similar to the MIAD trigger guard. Is that correct? Same. Roll pin in the rear and a set screw in the front.

ICE1811
06-03-09, 14:56
Nice price too...

Rider79
06-03-09, 15:00
No one has answered the most important question: Is Grant's picture on the package?

C4IGrant
06-03-09, 15:04
No one has answered the most important question: Is Grant's picture on the package?

It is not (THANK GOD)!

C4