PDA

View Full Version : Army Improved IFAK

gjj
06-02-09, 12:08
I just purchased an Army Improved IFAK. I plan to get training in the near future. In the mean time, what would you add to this kit?

I noticed it does not have quickclot. Is this a good thing to add? There appears to be no way to deal with tension pneumothorax. Does the army teach a different approach from the large gauge needle?

Can anyone recommend a good video?

Yute
06-02-09, 14:20
Questions to consider:
What is your training level?
What is the environment you will be operating in? Civilian? .Mil? Medical evac time?
Who will you be operating with? What is their training?

gjj
06-02-09, 15:07
I do not have training yet. Any suggestions for Southern California would be appreciated.

This would be for me as a civilian. It seems like the prudent thing to do if you own firearms and/or hunt.

Yute
06-02-09, 16:26
If this is going to be a self aid kit, I wouldn't worry about having any needles. You're probably not going to needle decompress yourself and probably shouldn't be doing it on other people either. Let the EMT-Ps handle that.

Training should take precedence over equipment selection, even if the later is easier to do. Your training will guide your equipment selection. Consider at the very least getting first responder certified.

Things to learn:
1. CPR and AED use (people code on ranges all the time)
2. Hemorrhage control
3. How to use the tourniquet included (and i really mean use because when you're running out of blood you're going to dumb out and fumble)
4. Learn how to effectively employ a homeostatic agent - not many civilian classes teach this.

The Army IFAK is generally quite good for your purposes - you don't really need the nasal airway (head tilt chin lift will suffice). Things to add: a spare pressure bandage (the Israelis work well enough), some spare gauze, a homeostatic agent like quick clot ACS (if you properly understand its mechanism, its limitations and potential liabilities) and a CPR shield with gloves will probably serve you well.

gjj
06-02-09, 16:59
I agree that training is the first priority. So, the main question is where can a civilian get good training on gunshot wound treatment?

I don't want to assume there will be a paramedic immediately available. A SHTF scenario or even a hunting trip far from civilization is my worst case scenario.

Irish
06-02-09, 17:05
Consider at the very least getting first responder certified.
What is entailed in first responder training? I've looked for it here in Vegas and haven't had much luck.

Yute
06-04-09, 12:46
Your local red cross should have some sort of first responder program. I would check with them if they offer it.

There are very few civilian organizations that will really teach GSW treatment at a basic level (or even at an intermediate level).

I know LMS defense offers a "defensive medicine" course that you might want to take a look at. Just be aware its not a certification class (i.e. not nationally recognized) but some may informal training may be better than none.

Disclaimer, i have not gone through the class so I can not vouch for how good or bad it is, nor have I ever worked with LMS defense.

Good luck!