PDA

View Full Version : Price check on an RRA Middy AR-15

frogger
06-02-09, 14:09
I am seriously considering selling one of my AR-15's and am not sure what a fair price would be. First, this is NOT a For Sale ad. I have not even decided if I'm going to do this, so please don't make me an offer and get this locked. I currently have 2 AR's and no place to shoot either of them. The private clubs around here that have the ranges are too expensive for me to join any time soon and the closest public range is nearly 3 hours away. This means the only time I get to fire them is about once per year when a friend who is a member of one of the private ranges invites me out as a guest. It seems silly to me to have as much money as I do tied up in multiple AR's in this situation. Here is what I would be selling...

It started life as an RRA Elite CAR A4... http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=219

I have added a Magpul Enchanced Trigger Guard, KNS Gen 2 Mod 2 Anti-Rotation Hammer & Trigger Pins, BCM Castle Nut and Receiver End Plate that are properly staked, a properly staked gas key and an A2 Removable Carry Handle that was pulled off a Colt. I will be giving the option to the buyer to take the carry handle or a LNIB Black Magpul MBUS instead. It also has a Midwest Industries MCTAR-13 sling mount installed. I'll also include 10 30rd Black PMAGs. The gun is in very good shape other than a few very minor handling scratches. The only minor issue is that the stock fits rather tight to the buffer tube which means it takes a bit of effort to adjust, but the plus side is that is locks up tighter than most standard M4 style stocks.

I have not decided yet if I will include the KNS pins. I have them on the AR I'm keeping too so I may swap them out for the original pins and keep them as spares. I was also considering pulling the RRA Star Safety Selector and replacing it with a standard RRA Safety since I have the Star selector on my other AR and it too could be a spare.

The gun has approximately 500 trouble free rounds through it so it's barely broken in. I'm thinking about asking $1100 as it is or $1050 if I pull the KNS pins and Star Safety Selector. Does that sound fair? Do you think I could get more?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

cptx123
06-02-09, 15:30
If it has a non-chrome lined barrel you would have a hard time getting more than 900.00 to 950.00 for it around here(TX) right now.

RD62
06-02-09, 15:49
I would also only include a couple of mags with it. If you want to sell the other PMags, you should have no problems, but by including them with the rifle you are probably only gaining a small premium. I assume it's used? And unfortunatley the properly staked gas key, and castle nut, while good improvements, don't add any value to the weapon in my opinion as they really should have been that way from the get go. The trigger guard, sling mount, etc are nice touches, but again don't gain you much in resale. I would return it as close to factory condition as possible and sell the parts seperately. MSRP on the RRA site is $970 without a carry handle and $1050 with. I know you said it was a colt handle, but again I don't think it adds as much in resale. I would think the $900-950 price pretty fair with a couple mags and no handle. Add another $70-80 for the handle.

-RD62

frogger
06-02-09, 16:20
If it has a non-chrome lined barrel you would have a hard time getting more than 900.00 to 950.00 for it around here(TX) right now.

Sorry... forgot to mention that. The barrel is chrome lined.

August
06-02-09, 16:51
Adco lists new ones at $940 with A2 Carry Handle.

seb5
06-02-09, 18:08
Around here currently I'd say $1000.00 and decreasing slowly. We are starting to see more parts and rifles show up. 2 months ago at the large Tulsa show you could have gotten $1300.00. At a show sitting on a table the accessories bring a bit more. Trying to sale it to someone, the accessories won't gain you much unless they are looking for exactly what you already have, very rare.

On another note, if you're not hurting for the $$ why sale it? Being able to have them far outweighs the small, short term benefit of selling them now. Your situation could either change or you could move someday.

I really feel sorry for those of you that can't get out to shoot. That whole idea is foreign to me. 10 minutes to the river bottoms, 15 minutes to my department range, 15 minutes to a public range, 10 minutes east, lots of empty property. Sometimes I really need to thank God I moved to His country.;)