PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Hornady TAP 5.56

rjacobs
06-02-09, 14:26
After doing a lot of research on what kind of duty ammo to have in my AR I decided to get some 5.56 TAP, however I cant find the 5.56 TAP in stock anywhere and my local LE dealer only has the .223. Anybody got any places to point me to that has it in stock?

Iraqgunz
06-02-09, 14:36
Are you LE or .MIL? If so, you can order direct from Hornady that's what I do. The price is CONSIDERABLY lower than retail also.

After doing a lot of research on what kind of duty ammo to have in my AR I decided to get some 5.56 TAP, however I cant find the 5.56 TAP in stock anywhere and my local LE dealer only has the .223. Anybody got any places to point me to that has it in stock?

rjacobs
06-02-09, 14:40
Are you LE or .MIL? If so, you can order direct from Hornady that's what I do. The price is CONSIDERABLY lower than retail also.

I am an airline pilot so I am on the list that most people would consider LE/MIL(dont know how we ended up on that list) and have been buying at a local LE only distributor(and thankful for the opportunity to do so), but I dont know if Hornady would consider me eligible. I guess I can call them and find out. Wasn't looking to do a huge order, maybe 5 boxes.

Iraqgunz
06-02-09, 15:16
It can't hurt. BTW- I don't know what 5 boxes cost retail, but their cases are in 200 rd. increments and you will probably be surprised when you see the cost which includes shipping.

I am an airline pilot so I am on the list that most people would consider LE/MIL(dont know how we ended up on that list) and have been buying at a local LE only distributor(and thankful for the opportunity to do so), but I dont know if Hornady would consider me eligible. I guess I can call them and find out. Wasn't looking to do a huge order, maybe 5 boxes.

rjacobs
06-02-09, 15:18
It can't hurt. BTW- I don't know what 5 boxes cost retail, but their cases are in 200 rd. increments and you will probably be surprised when you see the cost which includes shipping.

200 rounds would be ok. Retail the boxes go for like 22 bucks I think, but I cant find any.

Kimbo
06-02-09, 15:34
I called Hornady back in March and they said they have stopped selling to individual officers due to large backorders and supply (or lack thereof).

Iraqgunz
06-02-09, 16:13
That's funny because I ordered some .308 from them.

I called Hornady back in March and they said they have stopped selling to individual officers due to large backorders and supply (or lack thereof).

pmarcusm
06-02-09, 16:34
ammunitiontogo.com has some Tap ammo in 223 as of about 3:00 CST.

rjacobs
06-02-09, 17:21
ammunitiontogo.com has some Tap ammo in 223 as of about 3:00 CST.

Which is not what I am looking for. I can get all the .223 I want locally, I want the 5.56.

Kimbo
06-02-09, 17:31
Maybe because you got 308 and i asked for 5.56 who knows this was back in March :D

PlatoCATM
06-02-09, 17:34
Maybe because you got 308 and i asked for 5.56 who knows this was back in March :D

I just put in an inquiry for some 556. I will notify you when I hear back from them.

Safetyhit
06-02-09, 19:25
By far the best way to get 5.56 TAP if not an LEO is from an LEO friend. Nothing illegal about it as far as I or he know. That is where all of mine came from. I have not spoken to him in a little while, but I will see if he has any around. If so, he is a member here and can contact you via PM.

By the way, expect to pay a bit of a premium if you are lucky enough to find some. They don't cost today what they did when I stocked up a few years ago.

rjacobs
06-02-09, 19:28
By far the best way to get 5.56 TAP if not an LEO is from an LEO friend. Nothing illegal about it as far as I or he know. That is where all of mine came from. I have not spoken to him in a little while, but I will see if he has any around. If so, he is a member here and can contact you via PM.

By the way, expect to pay a bit of a premium if you are lucky enough to find some. They don't cost today what they did when I stocked up a few years ago.

Well, I believe I am on the list of approved people who can buy it. I am waiting to hear back from Hornady. The LE distributor by me, which I am allowed to buy anything in there(some people they let in the front door are not allowed to buy much but clothes and stuff), does not stock it. I have not called them to see if they could get it for me, I am sure they can and will.

Safetyhit
06-02-09, 19:41
The LE distributor by me, which I am allowed to buy anything in there(some people they let in the front door are not allowed to buy much but clothes and stuff), does not stock it. I have not called them to see if they could get it for me, I am sure they can and will.

So Hornady can get you some as well as your local outlet...what does this mean? Do you want help or not? I have already PM'd my friend for you, should I tell him to disregard?

Let's not waste anybody's time here.

rjacobs
06-02-09, 19:50
What does this mean? Do you want help or not? I have already PM'd my friend for you, should I tell him to disregard?

Let's not waste anybody's time here.

I am really looking for a retail outlet to buy from.

I do not want to get your friend in trouble, which it seems that Hornady has taken away peoples ability to buy direct from them at discount prices for selling what they have bought from them, not that that would happen and I would not turn him in, but I am really just looking for a retail source to buy from, or get myself setup to buy from Hornady.

Safetyhit
06-02-09, 19:57
I am really looking for a retail outlet to buy from.

I do not want to get your friend in trouble, which it seems that Hornady has taken away peoples ability to buy direct from them at discount prices for selling what he has bought from them, not that that would happen and I would not turn him in, but I am really just looking for a retail source to buy from, or get myself setup to buy from Hornady.

I do not want to get my friend in trouble either. Everything we have done together is legal as far as we know, and we both did our due diligence. The chances of you finding a "retail" outlet for 5.56 TAP are essentially non-existent except for ammunitiontogo...sometimes.

Take what you can get at these troubled times, my good man. Let you know if I hear anything good.

rjacobs
06-02-09, 20:01
I do not want to get my friend in trouble either. Everything we have done together is legal as far as we know, and we both did our due diligence. The chances of you finding a "retail" outlet for 5.56 TAP are essentially non-existent except for ammunitiontogo...sometimes.

Take what you can get at these troubled times, my good man. Let you know if I hear anything good.

There are posts over on TOS that say that Hornady has found out that people were doing this with the LE only ammuntion and banned them from buying direct any more. Some of the stuff they were talking about though was group buys on the 5.56, and Hornady bought some from the group buy, read the lot numbers, saw who bought it and banned them. The stuff on ammunitiontogo had the lot numbers removed from the boxes exactly for this reason.

This is the kind of stuff I dont want to get involved in, even if it means not being able to get any.

Safetyhit
06-02-09, 20:11
There are posts over on TOS that say that Hornady has found out that people were doing this with the LE only ammuntion and banned them from buying direct any more. Some of the stuff they were talking about though was group buys on the 5.56, and Hornady bought some from the group buy, read the lot numbers, saw who bought it and banned them. The stuff on ammunitiontogo had the lot numbers removed from the boxes exactly for this reason.

This is the kind of stuff I dont want to get involved in, even if it means not being able to get any.

I will say that it has been over two years in fact since my friend and I conducted business. Perhaps something has changed since then, especially with the ammo shortage. He is a good man and was not looking for much profit (I knew), just to help others and cover shipping.

However assuming what you say above is true, I understand your concern. Good luck in your search.

Kimbo
06-02-09, 21:00
Worse case scenario you could always get the regular Tap .223 or the Black Hills red box 75gr .223

rjacobs
06-02-09, 22:30
Worse case scenario you could always get the regular Tap .223 or the Black Hills red box 75gr .223

I can get the regular TAP .223 75gr no problem and I am sure its much better than the XM193 I have right now. I think I can find the Black Hills stuff at Cabella's down here since nobody touches anything but the FMJ range ammo. I also read something about Buffalo Bore that it was pretty decent stuff. Cor Bon also seems to be ok. I carry Gold Dots in my .40 and tons of people have very high regard for gold dots in pistols, but not so much in rifles.

Kimbo
06-02-09, 22:36
Yeah I mean it would be nice to have 75 gr TAP 5.56 but you can't go wrong with the tap .223 and the black hills 75gr bthp. I shoot all three :D

Hunter Rose
06-03-09, 18:32
Fulton Armory has Black Hills 75gr Red Box (new manufacture) in stock. $35.75 per 50 rd box.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/index.htm

Same bullet as TAP, loaded by Black Hills, and cheap for top shelf .223 self defense ammo, whats not to love!

Abraxas
06-03-09, 19:04
Fulton Armory has Black Hills 75gr Red Box (new manufacture) in stock. $35.75 per 50 rd box.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/index.htm

Same bullet as TAP, loaded by Black Hills, and cheap for top shelf .223 self defense ammo, whats not to love!

Are you sure that it is the T2 bullet? I have to say that I am doubtful. I think that it is probably a very good round, since it is Black Hills.

Hunter Rose
06-03-09, 19:17
Not the T2 bullet as in .556 TAP but the T1 bullet w/ cannelure as in .223 TAP FPD (I believe).

That was from a year or two ago. I suppose Black Hills may have switched bullets by now.

I have some on the way and can take a look. How does one pull a bullet (I don't re-load so all my bullets get separated from their cases the old fashioned way)?

rjacobs
06-08-09, 19:11
I heard back from Hornady. They are not currently selling to individuals, they hope to get the program back up and running ASAP and the lady was going to let me know when they do.

Iraqgunz: they may still be selling to you, or others in the mil, but not to individual LEO's, or they may be restricting certain ammo since I asked only about the 5.56 TAP.

The lady directed me to my local distributor, which I am already a customer of. They carry the 5.56 TAP, but only sell it to departments, not to any individuals. Gotta be a department paid for and authorized purchase. Is the 5.56 with the T2 bullet that much more deadly than the .223 with the T1 bullet?

They did not have or stock the 75 grain .223, which I guess is my next best option, but would order it for me. I have seen the .223 around quite a few places online so I will see what kind of pricing I can find on it.

banzaijohn
06-08-09, 23:42
I contacted Hornady's L/E representative and she advised me the same thing - - try the local distributors. I tried ordering the 75 grain 5.56mm bulk pack practice rounds. She gave me the contact information for three local distributors, but none of them had the bulk packs available. I ended up ordering .223s TAPs from Fulton, they had a good selection of Black Hills and Hornady and ship relatively quick.

rjacobs
06-09-09, 01:11
I contacted Hornady's L/E representative and she advised me the same thing - - try the local distributors. I tried ordering the 75 grain 5.56mm bulk pack practice rounds. She gave me the contact information for three local distributors, but none of them had the bulk packs available. I ended up ordering .223s TAPs from Fulton, they had a good selection of Black Hills and Hornady and ship relatively quick.

I tried the local distributors.

Hornady does not make a 75 gr 5.56 practice round, only 75 grain .223 practice round, which is FMJ(and if its like the 55gr is lacquer steel case) and does me no good in my search for 5.56 TAP JHP.

Again, I am not looking for .223 in either TAP or black hills as I can get both, I am looking for 5.56 TAP.

I dont mean to be an ass, but if you can not provide some type of way for me to find Hornady 5.56 TAP, dont even respond because anything less or different than 5.56 TAP is not what I am looking for.

flyer
06-12-09, 08:56
Try GT Distributors, google them and call. They normally only sell the .223, but I have had success by giving them an item numer and they did a special order. Hornady item number for 5.56 TAP is 8126N.

rjacobs
06-12-09, 10:08
Try GT Distributors, google them and call. They normally only sell the .223, but I have had success by giving them an item numer and they did a special order. Hornady item number for 5.56 TAP is 8126N.

GT's is where I normally shop. They would not sell the 5.56 to me since I am not a LEO/MIL and said it was strictly restricted to LEO/MIL even though I am on the list of people who can buy anything else from them. They dont carry the 75g .223 either, but said they would special order it for me.

Iraqgunz
06-12-09, 10:24
rjacobs,

You are right. The policy went into effect right after my last order. She said it would be a few months.

As for why they won't sell to you. My guess is this. They are idiots. In order to buy the TAP T2 you need to sign a waiver stating that you understand that the ammo should only be fired in 5.56 chambered weapons. I would simply ask for clarification and ask them if you can sign the waiver.

It would make no sense that Hornady would sell it direct, but GT won't when it's the same ammo. I am also not .MIL or LEO.

I heard back from Hornady. They are not currently selling to individuals, they hope to get the program back up and running ASAP and the lady was going to let me know when they do.

Iraqgunz: they may still be selling to you, or others in the mil, but not to individual LEO's, or they may be restricting certain ammo since I asked only about the 5.56 TAP.

The lady directed me to my local distributor, which I am already a customer of. They carry the 5.56 TAP, but only sell it to departments, not to any individuals. Gotta be a department paid for and authorized purchase. Is the 5.56 with the T2 bullet that much more deadly than the .223 with the T1 bullet?

They did not have or stock the 75 grain .223, which I guess is my next best option, but would order it for me. I have seen the .223 around quite a few places online so I will see what kind of pricing I can find on it.

rjacobs
06-12-09, 10:33
rjacobs,

You are right. The policy went into effect right after my last order. She said it would be a few months.

As for why they won't sell to you. My guess is this. They are idiots. In order to buy the TAP T2 you need to sign a waiver stating that you understand that the ammo should only be fired in 5.56 chambered weapons. I would simply ask for clarification and ask them if you can sign the waiver.

It would make no sense that Hornady would sell it direct, but GT won't when it's the same ammo. I am also not .MIL or LEO.

I know its kind of ridiculous. That is what the guy I normally deal with told me, but he might not have been correct. I fired off an email to their sales people to find out what the deal with it is.

SkiDevil
06-14-09, 02:00
I tried the local distributors.

Hornady does not make a 75 gr 5.56 practice round, only 75 grain .223 practice round, which is FMJ(and if its like the 55gr is lacquer steel case) and does me no good in my search for 5.56 TAP JHP.

Again, I am not looking for .223 in either TAP or black hills as I can get both, I am looking for 5.56 TAP.

I dont mean to be an ass, but if you can not provide some type of way for me to find Hornady 5.56 TAP, dont even respond because anything less or different than 5.56 TAP is not what I am looking for.

I have both the Hornandy Practice TAP rounds. The 55 gr ammo is steel cased and uses a FMJ bullet. The 75 gr ammo is also steel cased and utilizes a BTHP bullet. Do a search; Molon completed a very thorough review of the round a short time ago when I requested help/ advice regarding the round. -Pictures of both were available on Hornandy's website.

As for locating 5.56 75 gr TAP rounds. Good Luck. I have been looking around myself. NOTHING.

IMHO just as someone else suggested. Buy the Black Hills 75 BTHP or get the standard .223 TAP. I have been buying the standard 223 TAP at several different gun shows, but the price has been around .75 to .85 cents per round depending on the load.

Finally, as for effectiveness. I seriously doubt that their would be any significant difference if someone is center-pounched with a 5.56 TAP or .223 TAP round. As for myself, I carry M193 ammo in my carbines. And I have no reservations/ or doubts if I have to use it on someone. REMEMBER, the most important component in combat IS SHOT PLACEMENT.

SkiDevil

P.S. I spoke with a Hornandy LE Representative several months ago and I was told that the most significant difference between the LE/ TAP and the commercial TAP was the lack of flash retardant used in the powder.

rjacobs
06-14-09, 09:45
I have both the Hornandy Practice TAP rounds. The 55 gr ammo is steel cased and uses a FMJ bullet. The 75 gr ammo is also steel cased and utilizes a BTHP bullet.

I just saw on their website that they do have a 75g practice round, I have only ever seen the 55g and never looked through their website at the practice rounds since they didnt interest me.

I carry M193 ammo in my carbines

I believe this has shown and been proven to be a very ineffective defense round. Wounds where it simply goes straight through and causes no damage since M193 is an FMJ. Maybe I am wrong on this, but I believe I have read that lots of times on here.

DRich
06-14-09, 14:44
I believe this has shown and been proven to be a very ineffective defense round. Wounds where it simply goes straight through and causes no damage since M193 is an FMJ.

Not always: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31666

M193 can be very effective when it yaws/fragments. It's not my first choice since I have access to Mk262, but I would never categorize M193 as "ineffective." Inconsistent would be a better choice of words, IMO.

RWK
06-14-09, 16:26
I believe this has shown and been proven to be a very ineffective defense round. Wounds where it simply goes straight through and causes no damage since M193 is an FMJ. Maybe I am wrong on this, but I believe I have read that lots of times on here.

Maybe you should have someone shoot you with a few and give us a field report on whether or not it "causes no damage" or how "ineffective" you would rate it. Maybe you'll be really lucky and the rounds won't yaw or fragment. Get it on video, though - in case the report needs to be made posthumously. We wouldn't want to waste the research. ;) You should definitely read the thread linked to by DRich.

Iraqgunz
06-14-09, 18:10
I observed the immediate aftermath of a douchebag who was shot with M193 from Ruger Mini-14 from about 75yds. He is no longer with us. I'd say it was effective for the deputy.

I just saw on their website that they do have a 75g practice round, I have only ever seen the 55g and never looked through their website at the practice rounds since they didnt interest me.

Hunter Rose
06-14-09, 18:26
Are you sure that it is the T2 bullet? I have to say that I am doubtful. I think that it is probably a very good round, since it is Black Hills.

Received my Black Hills 75-gr from Fulton Armory. The round is the Hornady bullet with a cannelure, so I would say it is the same as Hornady LE-TAP.

Does anyone know for sure if the T2 bullet is used in .223 LE-TAP or just the 5.56version?

BTW, when I sent in my info for purchasing, the Hornady rep was saying an estimate of August or September for re-opening individual 5.56 TAP orders.

TheLefty
06-15-09, 01:56
Does anyone know for sure if the T2 bullet is used in .223 LE-TAP or just the 5.56version?

As far as I know, only the 5.56 TAP uses the T2, while the .223 uses the T1 bullet.

Suber
06-15-09, 18:47
Check with this guy, he may cut you a deal. I met him here at the Gunshow in ABQ, and he sells TONS of ammo.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=807924

rjacobs
06-16-09, 00:53
Check with this guy, he may cut you a deal. I met him here at the Gunshow in ABQ, and he sells TONS of ammo.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=807924

Thanks for the link, yea the guy has tons of ammo, and for a reason. His prices seem a bit high, some are, some arent, but most seem high to me.

Ill find the ammo eventually, im gonna call GT's tomorrow since my email has not been returned in almost a week.

Scottso
06-17-09, 22:26
Ammoman has it on sale this week!

rjacobs
06-17-09, 22:30
Ammoman has it on sale this week!

No, ammoman has .223 55g TAP on sale, well I wouldnt call it a sale per say, but they have it. They also have .223 75g TAP, but again not really priced well.

I am not looking for .223 TAP, I am looking for .556 TAP due to it having a different bullet and different powder than the .223.

Scottso
06-17-09, 22:33
I wouldn't call it "OnSale" either but thats what the email said,lol. Did not see it was 223 not 5.56 my bad!