PDA

View Full Version : Mags not dropping free from 6920...help?

Wilco
06-02-09, 20:55
Hey fellas,

was fiddling around with a 6920 and during mag change drills, no empty mags would drop free. USGI, CProducts, Pmags.....none of them. It easy to seat a new mag, but drop free, forget it.

What to do?

Iraqgunz
06-03-09, 06:03
Assuming that all else is good and the weapon is assembled correctly my guess would be that the magazine catch needs to be adjusted. To do this you use a small punch or similar and push in the center of the mag catch on the right side. When you do that the arm on the left side will protrude outwards at which time you will rotate it counter-clockwise to lossen it. I would try 1-2 revolutions and then check again.

Hey fellas,

was fiddling around with a 6920 and during mag change drills, no empty mags would drop free. USGI, CProducts, Pmags.....none of them. It easy to seat a new mag, but drop free, forget it.

What to do?

Failure2Stop
06-03-09, 07:16
Agree with gunz here.
However, if that does not work, you might just need to break it in. I have dealt with issued guns that would not drop empty mags smoothly even after loosening the mag catch. A few dozen dry reloads solved the issue.
Still, step 1 is to loosen the catch as recommended by gunz, which will solve most issues.

Wilco
06-07-09, 08:55
So no go on mag drops. I did turn the mag catch bar three times, and only C-Products, which are really slick, fall out. No pmags, no USGI mags. The gun does have a new bold release installed, I'm not sure if that would cause this.

Should I take jewelers rouge and a dremel and smooth the inside of the mag well?

Iraqgunz
06-07-09, 09:08
There is something else happening here. Please do not use a Dremel or anything else. I would contact Colt, tell them what is happening and what you have attempted to resolve the matter. There is a possibility that the mag well is out of spec (tight).

1. Is this weapon new?

2. Did you make any changes that you can think of which may have caused this?

3. Were magazines dropping free before?

So no go on mag drops. I did turn the mag catch bar three times, and only C-Products, which are really slick, fall out. No pmags, no USGI mags. The gun does have a new bold release installed, I'm not sure if that would cause this.

Should I take jewelers rouge and a dremel and smooth the inside of the mag well?

Wilco
06-07-09, 09:24
It was made four years ago by someone else but had never been shot. The gun had a different bolt release put in, and thats it as far as internals. Mag changes had not been attempted before the bolt release was changed.....100+ mag changes have been attempted and the gun has now been shot 300 rds....

alistaire
06-07-09, 09:36
Try a different bolt release. Remember the bolt release presses on the follower in the magazine and might prevent the mag from falling,

SwatDawg15
06-07-09, 13:10
Separate the lower from the upper, and try the mags. If they catch, take a light and find out where its binding. Take your time, you will find it.

Iraqgunz
06-07-09, 16:44
Can you please explain what you mean by it was made 4 years ago? Is this a real Colt 6920 lower with another upper on it, or a Colt upper? When the upper is removed and you insert a magazine will they fall free?

Do you know who makes the parts that were put onto the lower?

It was made four years ago by someone else but had never been shot. The gun had a different bolt release put in, and thats it as far as internals. Mag changes had not been attempted before the bolt release was changed.....100+ mag changes have been attempted and the gun has now been shot 300 rds....

Wilco
06-07-09, 19:10
My buddy took out his regular bolt release for a new extended bolt release that is like the one in the MagPul video....

My buddy bought it four years ago, and it was a safe queen. It is a true 6920 with colt upper.

*****UPDATE******* I took the upper off and every type of mag drops free, Pmags, USGI, C-Products, Lancer....

2nd Edit, just got back so I could try a new upper, and the mags dropped free. Then for grins, I put the colt upper back on and the mags are now dropping free. odd. I'm not sure what would cause that...

Thanks for everyones suggestions and help, as always.

Safetyhit
06-07-09, 21:55
Well, at least you didn't prematurely utilize the dremel...:eek:

SWATcop556
06-07-09, 22:57
Your rifle needs a dremel tool taken to it like a crack head needs another hit!!! :eek:

Glad your problems seems to be fixed. My suggestion was the bolt release.

scottryan
06-07-09, 23:32
What brand are the USGI magazines?

Wilco
06-08-09, 00:54
by dremel, I only meant a light polishing, like you do when you lightly polish a feed ramp....but it's odd that the mags wouldn't drop free. I'm kinda embarrassed that I started the thread!

:p

SWATcop556
06-08-09, 01:03
by dremel, I only meant a light polishing, like you do when you lightly polish a feed ramp....but it's odd that the mags wouldn't drop free. I'm kinda embarrassed that I started the thread!

:p

I've seen too many friends say "Oh I'm just going to lightly dremel this or that" and it turns into severe metal removal. I just have to shake my head. :p

No reason to be embarassed. You had a problem and now its fixed. Regardless of how it was fixed, it now works.

SwatDawg15
06-08-09, 01:26
Keep using it. They only get better with time, and being shot.