PDA

View Full Version : This is a great AR site!

M-4VA
06-03-09, 09:25
I've been looking on here for a couple of months now and wish I'd found this site before I bought my 1st AR. The last AR forum I joined blasted me for not buying the Colt/LMT higher tier rifles WITHOUT explaining WHY! The knowledge stickys here are a wealth of info and I plan on upgrading the BCG and staking the castle nut (YES I have a DPMS AP-4) I've put over 600 rounds thru it with various types of ammo with 0 problems and I want to keep it that way. I plan on keeping this rifle and would like to get a Colt in the near future, until then, correct the non MIL-SPEC parts on the DPMS and continue to learn and shoot the AR-15. I've also been looking at the 1911 section here as this is 1 of my other pets in the safe along with some Savage bolt rifles. Again great site and look forward to learning and posting.

J.R.

Safetyhit
06-03-09, 10:39
The best there is. :cool:

Welcome aboard.

WGPKlaus
06-03-09, 11:12
Indeed, an excellent resource for information. I must admit to not participating much in "discussions" here, but having surfed it for quite a while and utilizing information and applying what was learned, whatever the medium.

I will say that untill today, I have enjoyed ARFCOM, at least the General Discussion forum, mostly in part because you "had" been free of the typical forum bonds that tie many of us, whether it be ideological or political correctness as interpreted by the site staff. I've found out recently that the site in question has turned a corner and entered the realm of political correctness, which like the current administration, and the consensus of the country in general (if you believe the mainstream media), is somewhere you don't necessarily want to go.

This seems to be spreading like wildfire as of late, I've noticed several forums I'm a member of, have chosen to go down this path, and I really can't put my finger on it, as sites are essentially intellectual properties, thus not really governed by anyone other than the individual(s) who "run" the site. I guess it's something we're not supposed to be privy to? anyways, sorry for the rant, just disappointed in that other site at the moment, as I thought it was a different kind of site.

I realize there are certain rivalries between sites, especially when it comes to sport/hobby type sites, but I've never been one to call a particular site on the carpet, I'm simply pointing out an observation I've made, and obviously from several remarks by members on that "other" site, this seems to be a legitimate concern, and I know that simply not participating is an option that I may have to take.

Regards,
Todd

PS
Thanks to all the sites who give us the opportunity to share with other like minded individuals.

M-4VA
06-03-09, 12:36
Indeed, an excellent resource for information. I must admit to not participating much in "discussions" here, but having surfed it for quite a while and utilizing information and applying what was learned, whatever the medium.

I will say that untill today, I have enjoyed ARFCOM, at least the General Discussion forum, mostly in part because you "had" been free of the typical forum bonds that tie many of us, whether it be ideological or political correctness as interpreted by the site staff. I've found out recently that the site in question has turned a corner and entered the realm of political correctness, which like the current administration, and the consensus of the country in general (if you believe the mainstream media), is somewhere you don't necessarily want to go.

This seems to be spreading like wildfire as of late, I've noticed several forums I'm a member of, have chosen to go down this path, and I really can't put my finger on it, as sites are essentially intellectual properties, thus not really governed by anyone other than the individual(s) who "run" the site. I guess it's something we're not supposed to be privy to? anyways, sorry for the rant, just disappointed in that other site at the moment, as I thought it was a different kind of site.

I realize there are certain rivalries between sites, especially when it comes to sport/hobby type sites, but I've never been one to call a particular site on the carpet, I'm simply pointing out an observation I've made, and obviously from several remarks by members on that "other" site, this seems to be a legitimate concern, and I know that simply not participating is an option that I may have to take.

Regards,
Todd

PS
Thanks to all the sites who give us the opportunity to share with other like minded individuals.

Todd;
I enjoyed the OTHER site for a while as well until I was informed that my rifle was POS/JUNK. I'm not the only new AR owner in the last year and I believe this site will inform new AR owners HOW TO GET THEIR LOWER TIER RIFLES UP TO SNUFF. We need the new AR shooters running in the right direction, get the (OLY'S DPMS RRA ect) 100% reliable so when they do decide to invest in the Colt they will not be passing along(sell to another new shooter) a troubled gun . It was HARD reading a post of a new shooter with problems with guns mentioned above, and the comments that (you bought a POS now buy a COLT) big turn off for that site and new shooter was left out in the cold. It made me feel like I was raised on the wrong side of the tracks, and come back here when you have the right kind of stuff attitude. We as gun owners need to stick together now more than ever and help everyone enjoy the EBR. OK, end of my rant!

J.R.

kaiservontexas
06-03-09, 13:08
Howdy and welcome, indeed M4Carbine.net is awesome.

CC556
06-03-09, 13:35
I too just registered after reading the site for a while. I find the level of discourse here to be much higher than other sites dedicated to the same topics, and the opinions of people here seem much more grounded in fact and experience.

Gunzilla
06-03-09, 14:21
ECHOS from AZ, this site is packed full of great data and advice!! After trolling about 3 or 4 AR15 sites it seems this one has some extremely experienced AR15 gurus....more than willing to help us new Bs regardless of what we bought.

It seems some of the ones talking trash about ones choice forgets that not all of us are working with the same budget or knowledge base. Plus their egos need to be fed so they hammer on others that haven't been around the AR15 before, (or since basic training).

Looks like I've found a new home for all my in depth AR information.

Looking forward to getting pics up in the: 'first AR15' thread, the first AR15 (RRA Entry Tactical) got here last Tuesday...the M4 I bought the complete LMT upper and lower separately and both are in transit. By this time next week both should be equipped with a few extras and read to pose for the camera. Can't wait!!

:D

WGPKlaus
06-03-09, 15:52
Todd;
I enjoyed the OTHER site for a while as well until I was informed that my rifle was POS/JUNK. I'm not the only new AR owner in the last year and I believe this site will inform new AR owners HOW TO GET THEIR LOWER TIER RIFLES UP TO SNUFF. We need the new AR shooters running in the right direction, get the (OLY'S DPMS RRA ect) 100% reliable so when they do decide to invest in the Colt they will not be passing along(sell to another new shooter) a troubled gun . It was HARD reading a post of a new shooter with problems with guns mentioned above, and the comments that (you bought a POS now buy a COLT) big turn off for that site and new shooter was left out in the cold. It made me feel like I was raised on the wrong side of the tracks, and come back here when you have the right kind of stuff attitude. We as gun owners need to stick together now more than ever and help everyone enjoy the EBR. OK, end of my rant!

J.R.

JR
I agree, I've seen many new owners and shooters who don't return to that "other" site because of the same reasons you've cited. I have found many (not all mind you) on that site, think if you don't spend $3000.00+ on "Tacticool" accessories, you're not worthy. I will also say it's been my experience, that many of those same people who live vicariously through their guns, meaning a large percentage aren't Military/ExMil/LEO/ExLEO but people who like playing the part, and thats where the attitudes come from.

I actually stashed that kind of stuff to the side for the most part because like here, I managed to find certain areas very helpful, and figured putting up with people and their silly ways was worth it, if at the end, I got answers to questions I might have had. My problem lies with how "justice" is dispensed and why certain threads are locked, and certain people (including myself today) have their accounts put on time out basically. The tipping point is when you contact site staff, you either get no answer to questions, or cryptic messages that you need some type of secret decoder ring to decypher.

As far as your example about how anything other than Colts are frowned upon, there are a ton of fanboys all over the 'net who think simply because theres a prancing pony on the left side of the lower that it's the end all be all of rifles, and many of us know different. I currently own two Colts, 2 RRA's, a Bushy, and an LMT and I can honestly say, that the other rifles are as good if not better in some respects to the Colts, so let them say what they will, we know better. :-)

WGPKlaus
06-03-09, 15:55
I too just registered after reading the site for a while. I find the level of discourse here to be much higher than other sites dedicated to the same topics, and the opinions of people here seem much more grounded in fact and experience.

Amen!

It does get tiring hearing other members chastized due to their inability to understand what makes spending several thousand dollars in "tacticool" accessories makes ones gun better? lol if nothing else, that kind of crap is humorous and brings a smile to your face.

Safetyhit
06-03-09, 17:22
The reality of this forum is that it does advocate the upper tier weaponry. Make no mistake, people have been hit for bragging about RR, Oly, Bushmaster, etc..., although that seems to have subsided just a bit. Not being negative, just telling it like it is. However, we do our best to respect each other here and remain civil at all times while giving constructive criticism and attempting to steer folks in the right direction.

When I first came here, I thought the place was full of elitists. My bushmaster functioned as well as my Colts so I didn't want to hear much about it being inferior. But as I listened I realized that we have armorers here who know what a spec 5.56 chamber is, know what proper staking is, what springs are best, etc. What this told me is that if my Bushmaster shot 5.56 all day with no issue, that was good but not necessarily representative of all that they manufacture. Armorers who work/worked at police departments tell of DMPS that have chamber issues far more frequently that Colts do (no kool-aid here). They tell of Bushmasters that have the same problems, as well as improperly staked keys.

Certain other brands are much less prone to these issues, therefore they are advocated here. That doesn't mean that my Bushmaster won't function when I need it to. It just means that the odds, however small, are greater that something could go wrong.

Also, many here need their weapons to function at a higher level than most, and that must be taken into account.

M-4VA
06-04-09, 06:17
1 last thought on this thread is a great big THANK YOU to all the Military/LEO on here that have to use their AR's so that shooters like myself only have to worry about punching paper instead of Tango's and bad guys. Thanks for your service!;) We will have your back if the Zombies ever hit.
J.R.

Surf
06-04-09, 14:55
You mean there are manufacturers other than Colt producing AR/M4 type rifles? :confused:

In any event, welcome to the site. I don't post much here either, but I completely stay away from the GD forum, on another popular forum. :)

larry0071
06-04-09, 15:23
I'm an oddity. I know that 90% of the world wants or has an Ipod for thier music. Because I run against the grain, I would not take an Ipod if it were wrapped in a 100 dollar bill! I own the Creative Zen Touch: M.

I know that 90% of AR fans want or own a Colt, I wont have one if it's wrapped in 5 100 dollar bills..... just so I can keep being the F'ed up guy my wife loves :D

I'm sure Ipods and Colts are just fine....for everyone else. But I'll stick to my Creative Zen and my Charles Daly/Stag/Bushmaster/RRA/RRA. My CDD is my love gun. It is the one I look at and get all warm inside.

I do enjoy this site as well, adn I enjoy the members, but I caution the multiple NOOB's that are here.... do not attemp to be a poser and pretend your something your not, cause these guys tend to sniff out the bullshit faster than flies at a dairy farm.

I try to keep my mouth shut as much as I can (it's tough!) and my ears (eyes) open. I stay out the way during the heated arguments or technical bantering and get involved during the normal conversation.

I know this, I have learned a shit-ton here and I consider these guys as my only real GO-TO guys when I have a question. Sometimes they are tough to handle... especially when you ask a question that you really and honestly do not want to hear the true answer to..... there is minimal sugar coating here to protect the feelings of the uneducated or flat out stupid. So wear your thick skin if your about to say how your BM or Oly is the cats-patuety..... that shit won't fly for long without a heartfelt attack.

Surf
06-05-09, 02:32
I'm an oddity. I know that 90% of the world wants or has an Ipod for thier music. Because I run against the grain, I would not take an Ipod if it were wrapped in a 100 dollar bill! I own the Creative Zen Touch: M.

I know that 90% of AR fans want or own a Colt, I wont have one if it's wrapped in 5 100 dollar bills..... Not to question your belief system, but you should take the IPOD or the Colt wrapped up in Franklins. You could take the money, then sell the higher priced IPOD or Colt, buy what you like and still be waaaaaay far ahead. :)

Surf
06-05-09, 02:35
I do enjoy this site as well, adn I enjoy the members, but I caution the multiple NOOB's that are here.... do not attemp to be a poser and pretend your something your not, cause these guys tend to sniff out the bullshit faster than flies at a dairy farm.You mean the Holiday Inn, don't cut it? :confused:

;)

hotwheelsjr
06-05-09, 02:42
Yeah...I'm new here too and this place aint half bad. Definitely a wealth of info. I do see some occasional elitists blast noobs like myself, but I guess that's expected on ANY forum. Take what you can, when you can. :)

BTW...no Colts in my arsenal. My Bushy and frankenguns shoot straight and do what I ask of them. If the elitists don't like it, too bad...I didn't ask them to.

Going4Broke
06-05-09, 14:35
I'm basically new also and although I do like the other site as well, here people don't seem like they are running around with big wedgies.:D I built an LMT and glad I did, but I would have no problem with a DPMS either. We need to promote our sport, not act like a gang and keep our door closed to those who don't adhere to everyone of our beliefs. Congrats on the new rifle and happy shootin.:)

nanook331
06-06-09, 13:41
WOW i had no idea that there were so many that loved the Colt so much as to rag on everyone that does not have one. I shoot the Colt at my department and yes it's a great shooting rifle but.... I would always rather shoot my Noveske.

Fact of the matter, make the most of what you have.... if you have a RRA, a bushy, DPMS...whatever, shoot it! if it hits what your aiming at, Champion. Cause when the Sh!T goes sideways i going in with whatever i got.

Its just funny that some people praise Colt as the best.... what is the best? The best weapon for any of us the the one that we all bought with our hard earned money in this screwed up economy. Buy what you want, customize it to fit you, and screw anyone that tells you its not good enough. "Not good enough" is still putting two to the chest and one to the head at 100 yards!

NANOOK OUT!

sandman99and9
06-06-09, 18:14
I joined M4C in january and feel that this is one the best sites anywhere to find quality info on the ar15 platform. I have learned a ton here and fortunately have not had my hand slapped by the big boys so far :D I joined TOS before coming here and posted a pic of my spikes tactical st-15 and then got blasted for it not being a colt !! It fit my needs when I picked it up, #1 price, #2 it was available, #3 I liked the way it looked/felt to me. The guy who nailed me was a member at Tos since 2005 I think with 25000 posts !! Holy shit, when did he have time to shoot his colt ? I would love to own a colt but did not have the money at the time for it. I am not on active duty or a current LE officer so my needs are a little lower for my ar15. Thanks to all the senior members and industry professionals for the usefull info here. I have met some good people here too.

B.T.W here is a pic of my spikes rifle :D:D

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/sandman99and9/002-2.jpg

s.m.

Safetyhit
06-06-09, 22:40
.... what is the best? The best weapon for any of us the the one that we all bought with our hard earned money in this screwed up economy. Buy what you want, customize it to fit you, and screw anyone that tells you its not good enough.

I an idealogical world, this might have merit. In the real world, there are premium items that one pays a premium price for based on tested performance. Just like automobiles, let's say. Many here have tested various AR's on a large scale and share their knowledge of successes and failures absolutely without bias to any manufacturer.

Plus, almost anyone here would tell you that your Noveske is just about every bit as good as a Colt 6920. You are really barking up the wrong tree with that comparison in the first place.

I have a Bushmaster that has been flawless after over 3,000 rounds of 5.56. That said, as much as I love mine, I still know my Colts are likely more dependable in the long run due to specific data acquired both here and in the field.

Get used to relevant facts. They run rampant here whether you like them or not.

RogerinTPA
06-07-09, 09:52
WOW i had no idea that there were so many that loved the Colt so much as to rag on everyone that does not have one. I shoot the Colt at my department and yes it's a great shooting rifle but.... I would always rather shoot my Noveske.

So would the rest of us, but due to the Noveske's limited availability and the current political climate, the Colt's are more available due to a larger manufacturing capability and for those of us who want a quality weapon right now, before any AWB type legislation comes down the pipe. Noveske's are every bit as good as Colts, and in some areas, slightly better. If they were available, I'd snag two on the spot.

Its just funny that some people praise Colt as the best.... what is the best?

If you have read even a minuscule of info on this forum, you knew the answer to your question before you posted your comments. If you are trolling for a pissing contest, for the sake of provoking an ignorant argument (meaning a lack of knowledge), you will not last long here.