PDA

View Full Version : Best iron sights for a ORC flat top rifle?

lars5600
06-03-09, 13:00
What would you guys recommend for a set of iron sights on a bushmaster orc? It has a bushnell optic mounted on the top now and space might be a factor. Thanks for all the help fellers!!

steve-oh
06-03-09, 13:17
You're going to need a free floating tube, and a new gas block. The ORC comes with a shaved front sight that is all but useless.
So, if you want a truly marvelous carbine, you'll need three things
1.)low profile gas block
2.)free floating rail (preferably extending past gas block for longer sight radius)
3.)front sight of your choice

My ORC has been a great carbine after a few basic mods.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j6/steve__oh/ARvsFS2k006.jpg

MisterWilson
06-03-09, 13:34
Troy or LMT front & rears on the new extended rail you're going to install after cutting off that gas block.

+1 to Steve-oh

ICE1811
06-03-09, 15:00
TROY....

NetJunkie
06-03-09, 15:14
Troy is good..have them on one rifle but really, with the price and quality of the MBUS they are hard to beat. I may be selling some of my flip-ups and just move to those and standardize.

lars5600
06-04-09, 08:25
What low profile gas block should I use? Is that a hard part to replace?

HiggsBoson
06-04-09, 09:30
What low profile gas block should I use? Is that a hard part to replace?

I bought a Daniel Defense low-profile gas block, which looks like it would work well for this. But on my ORC, the armorer offered to just chop off the bayo-lug and re-finish it for me. I went with that option and it worked great under my FF rail. I still have the DD block gathering dust. The reason I got that particular gas block was that it covers the bare (un-parkerized) metal left when the stock gas-block is removed. Otherwise, I'd probably have gotten the VLTOR version.

hotwheelsjr
06-05-09, 04:22
Without having to spend the dough on floating hand guards, how about a railed gas block in place of the crap one Bushy installed? What are the pros/cons of that with a set of flip up sights? I too have a ORC and haven't decided how I am going to deal with this. My budget is limited, so I'm not looking to drop big bucks on extended floating hand guards. A railed gas block is a much cheaper route, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

THANKS!

HiggsBoson
06-05-09, 07:53
Without having to spend the dough on floating hand guards, how about a railed gas block in place of the crap one Bushy installed? What are the pros/cons of that with a set of flip up sights? I too have a ORC and haven't decided how I am going to deal with this. My budget is limited, so I'm not looking to drop big bucks on extended floating hand guards. A railed gas block is a much cheaper route, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

THANKS!

As mentioned in the BM O.R.C. product description (http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWVMF16M4ORC.asp), Bushmaster sells a YHM flip-up front sight that is the correct height to mount over the gas block. "Bushmaster’s BMAS Front Flip-up Sight for V Match Rifles (Part # YHM-9360K)"

Otherwise, if you want to replace the gas block entirely, there are quite a few options that either come with a piece of pic-rail on top, or have built-in sights.

HTH.

Buckbaggums
09-01-09, 10:42
Yeah i too have a bushy orc. i was gona get the VLTOR CASVM which i think will fit over the gas block and then put a front BUIS on that. but now im thinking ill just get the clamp on bushy BMAS and MBUS rear and spend the rest on ammo. does anyone have the BMAS? what do you think of it?

Makarov
09-01-09, 12:21
I recently got to test out the BMAS clamp-on frontsight on a V-Match.
It's nice and solid, and a easy job to mount but it cost a bit, and I dunno how much a 'smith would charge to change out the milled FSB on the OCR with a standard one(including drilling new taper pin holes if that's possible), but I'd rather get a fixed FSB mounted.

One thing about the gasblock that's on the OCR; It's a shaved down FSB, and it's fully possible to shave it down further so that it'll fit under a railed forend. I've got a spare BM shaved gasblock that I've(after reading about it here, unfortunately I don't remember who posted that thread) ran over with a Dremel. I want to test it out on a BM M4 patrolman's carbine upper that I want to run with a riflelength handguard.(If I manage to make the upper run with that gasblock I won't have to kill the FSB, if not there's no biggie as I got it for free)

The reason to spend time(and maybe some $ if you have a 'smith do it) shaving down a FSB is that it's(or at least should) already pinned to the barrel in the optimum position, so it's better to use that than to change it out with a gasblock that clamps around and may come loose.

Buckbaggums
09-01-09, 20:31
the BMAS flips forward towards the muzzle not back right? concerned about clearance on certain handguards...

Buckbaggums
09-01-09, 21:39
the BMAS flips forward towards the muzzle not back right? concerned about clearance on certain handguards...

sorry one other thing, is it the standard "F" height? I.E. would it work with MBUS rear BUIS?

Makarov
09-02-09, 14:09
I pretty sure it's folding forward.

sorry one other thing, is it the standard "F" height? I.E. would it work with MBUS rear BUIS?
I did text the owner about this, but he couldn't measure the height for me right now as he's got his AR at his fathers house atm.