PDA

View Full Version : Grease or Lube?

Mr.Goodtimes
06-03-09, 20:15
should i use grease or lube on on my beretta 92? my dad swears by high temp bearing grease but, idk. what do yall think?

ROADKING
06-03-09, 21:44
I have heard of people using grease, i would think it would be better because it will stay and not run off.

Thomas M-4
06-03-09, 21:56
On pistols I normally use Brownells action lube plus on the slide rails and couple of drops of Mobil1 synthetic hammer pin and trigger
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1147

ROCKET20_GINSU
06-03-09, 22:34
Lube (mil-tec) on all the guns I shoot often (G34 and 26), and for my M4.

Grease (TW) on my dedicated carry gun, that I shoot less often and just leave greased up.

I think either would work fine, though I lean toward lube for the M9, its worked well in my experience. I ran mine when I was in really wet with no problems.

GU

crusader377
06-03-09, 23:17
I own a Beretta 92 and I have always used CLP and never had any problems.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-03-09, 23:40
lube it is then. thanks guys! im currently using Lucas Gun oil which i think is just re bottled motor oil but it seems to work really well in both my AR and Beretta. I also have some militec 1 but it seems kind of runny compared to the Lucas.

JiMfraRED1911
06-03-09, 23:42
Any lube is better than no lube. If it's shiny, it gets wet. I like grease on rails and lugs.

The range is one thing. CCW, another. Choose accordingly. Best of luck.

Blankwaffe
06-03-09, 23:55
I prefer a grease for most of my high use pistols,particularly the 92FS.
I can tell you after using the Bereatta 92 series for twenty plus years that the inner barrel rail of the frame will appreciate a better lube than CLP.A dabb of grease on the legs of the locking block seem to peen the slide less as well.
First 92F I had showed some rather serious wear to the frame in under 5,000 rounds when using CLP only.I later moved to using a weapons specific grease and saw a decrease in wear on all the Beretta's.
The SIG's also tend to show a dramatic reduction in wear to the rails when using a good weapons grease.
So yes I use a light film of grease on all the friction areas of my pistols.
Now if you only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year,then yeah Break Free CLP will probably do all you need.But if you shoot often and high round counts per visit to the range,you will appreciate the staying power of the grease on the aluminum frame.
My personal favorite for many years has been TW25B and have had outstanding results.That said Ive got some of the new Weapon Shield Grease on the way that I plan to transition to immediately if I like its performance.Which Im sure I will as Ive had excellent results from the Weapon Shield CLP and the standard Lithi Shield grease..
HTH

M&P45
06-04-09, 04:36
I prefer a grease for most of my high use pistols,particularly the 92FS.
I can tell you after using the Bereatta 92 series for twenty plus years that the inner barrel rail of the frame will appreciate a better lube than CLP.A dabb of grease on the legs of the locking block seem to peen the slide less as well.
First 92F I had showed some rather serious wear to the frame in under 5,000 rounds when using CLP only.I later moved to using a weapons specific grease and saw a decrease in wear on all the Beretta's.
The SIG's also tend to show a dramatic reduction in wear to the rails when using a good weapons grease.
So yes I use a light film of grease on all the friction areas of my pistols.
Now if you only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year,then yeah Break Free CLP will probably do all you need.But if you shoot often and high round counts per visit to the range,you will appreciate the staying power of the grease on the aluminum frame.
My personal favorite for many years has been TW25B and have had outstanding results.That said Ive got some of the new Weapon Shield Grease on the way that I plan to transition to immediately if I like its performance.Which Im sure I will as Ive had excellent results from the Weapon Shield CLP and the standard Lithi Shield grease..
HTH

You echo my sentiments exactly. I just replaced my TWB-25b with the weapon shield grease. It was recommended to me by Dan Burwell when he worked over my M&P45. It feels a little slicker than the TW-25b to me and stays in place even better. Good stuff!

Slater
06-04-09, 07:33
I know a couple guys that use the Mobil 1 high-temp grease (the red stuff). Seems to work for them but I've never tried it.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-04-09, 13:11
i think im gonna go with a grease for the Beretta after all. i went to the local auto parts store to get some mobile 1 grease but they didnt have any, so i actually ended up picking up some lucas high speed bearing grease instead.

It is sort of a green color and is much slicker then the other automotive greases ive tried, it makes the slide on my beretta feel like butter. first impressions are good, so ill give it a try and see how it works, this stuff seems to be VERY slick, much slicker then the blue grease or the other synthetic greases ive tried.

I also picked up some Lucas 70W80 gear oil to try in my AR. I use the Lucas gun oil so thats what sort of spurred me to try some of their other products, the gear oil is actually a little thicker in viscosity then their gun oil. im not sure how well the gear oil will resist burn off though. i recon ill find out soon though.

PPGMD
06-04-09, 15:01
I run grease almost exclusively. I run a grade 2 grease for my general stuff (slide, frame rails, and barrel) and grade 1 for the fire control parts.

For the grade 2 grease I use a wheel bearing grease from Walmart, it runs around$2 for a 1 lb tub. This will last you for quite a while unless you wipe and clean the gun daily.

For the grade 1 grease I run whatever I have around, I've tried a lot of greases so I have a ton of it laying around.

Blankwaffe
06-04-09, 16:54
You echo my sentiments exactly. I just replaced my TWB-25b with the weapon shield grease. It was recommended to me by Dan Burwell when he worked over my M&P45. It feels a little slicker than the TW-25b to me and stays in place even better. Good stuff!

Yeap me too,my box of Weapon Shield Grease came today.The various size containers offers a nice selection.
I recently ran out of the TW25B myself,so the new WSG showed up on the market at just the right time for me.

Ive already lubed up my most trusted and well used 90 model 92FS,and a 94 model W.German made SIG 226 with the Weapon Shield Grease.Certainly looks good to go to me.We will runa few hundred rounds through them this weekend and see how the WSG behaves.
For heavy range use Ive used Steel Shields Lithi Shield NLGI #2 grease mixed/cut with Weapon Shield CLP as a pistol grease with great results in the past.But the new Weapon Shield Grease looks and feels to be a much better consistency than what Ive been getting with my mix,and much easier to apply as a result.IMHO the WSG looks to have about the perfect viscosity for a pistol lube.
I also agree,the WSG certainly leaves a better lube film on the rails and lockings blocks than the TW25B.Certainly "feels smooth" cycling the action.And its not sticky like Slide Glide.So initially I think Steel Shield may have just hit the mark with the new WSG.