PDA

View Full Version : Where can you shoot .223 / 5.56 in Maryland?

mikeg576
06-03-09, 21:04
Hi, new guy here. Where can you shoot .223 or 5.56 in Maryland? I'm 1/2 hour north of Baltimore. We wanted to go out sunday if we can. I just dont want to make plans if there is no place to go near by. Also if there are ranges indoor or out if they require certin ammo to be used. So far all my trigger time has been on my girlfriends family's 200+ acre farm. It's not a option this weekend. Thanks for any help.

shadco
06-03-09, 21:20
Cresap near Frederick, and Hap Baker which I think is west of Owning's Mills.

Hi, new guy here. Where can you shoot .223 or 5.56 in Maryland? I'm 1/2 hour north of Baltimore. We wanted to go out sunday if we can. I just dont want to make plans if there is no place to go near by. Also if there are ranges indoor or out if they require certin ammo to be used. So far all my trigger time has been on my girlfriends family's 200+ acre farm. It's not a option this weekend. Thanks for any help.

JSantoro
06-03-09, 23:06
My buddy that lives in Annapolis always talks about one out near Vienna, MD.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=vienna+md+gun+range&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=map&ei=v0QnSvzqFJ6Ntgex1ujpBg&cd=1&hl=en

Byron
06-04-09, 05:55
Hey Mike,

I live in Baltimore so I feel your pain: not an easy thing without expensive range memberships (at least anywhere nearby that I've found so far). I'm sure there's something out there I don't know about so I'll certainly be watching this thread, but like you when I get to shoot mt 5.56 it is usually on someone's private property.

Not a practical option for just a day of shooting, but I used to frequently go out to Western MD to visit my now-ex's family. I really enjoyed shooting at the Savage River shooting range on New Germany road when I was out that way. It is on public park land so it's $5 per person per day for unlimited shooting. Most days no one is around and it is a self-supervise range so you can do interesting things like holster work, unconventional shooting positions, etc.

I think I've been to Hap Baker, but I could be remembering wrong. I think they had a 'max 1 shot per 2 seconds' rule there...

That's the problem: not only is it hard to find a good range near Baltimore without paying an arm and a leg, then there are usually Fudd rules at the ones available. I don't think I've been to any nearby ranges that don't have "no headshot" rules (indoor pistol and they are afraid you will damage the cables) or slow fire rules.

Call me nuts, but I'm not so hot on the idea of paying a ton of money for a membership at any range that's 30 or more minutes away, requires that I slow fire, and only allows me to shoot from the bench or standing.

I'm willing to pay money and drive a little if it means I am treated like an adult, can work from the holster, can practice some drills, etc.

If anyone knows of a place with Big Boy rules, please let me know.

The_War_Wagon
06-04-09, 07:15
Pennsylvania? :p

Seriously though, if you're near the border, it might make more sense, to come on over here (and as a 9th generation TARHEEL, I never thought I'd live to see the day, where I'd say, "Come on over to __________________ (Yankee state), where they have FEWER gun restrictions! :eek:) and find a club or range to shoot at.