PDA

View Full Version : 90g SMK data

AJS
06-04-09, 05:32
Have these been tested and are gel shots available?
I would imagine the lower velocity would lower performance in gel but I wonder about barrier performance.

I have also been searching for gel shots on the Amax 75 and 80 grain .224 understanding they do not perform as well as the smk's.

thanks

DocGKR
06-04-09, 11:57
We've shot the 88 gr and 100 gr, not the 90 gr. The 88 gr was not particularly impressive due to too long a "neck" before initial upset. In general, AMAX offers BETTER terminal performance than SMK.

AJS
06-04-09, 13:28
Thank you

Is there a difference between the 75 and 80 Amax?
I've just run out of 75's and am now working up a load for the 80's which are much (1/3) cheaper than the 75's.
I would be aiming for 2850fps or so with the 80's and a bit more than this with the 75's.

I was looking at loading up SMK's since I had seen so little about the Amax in extensive searches I assumed they did not perform as well. Much easier for me since I can now focus on two loads instead of three since the Amax are available so cheap VS the SMK's.

I am also trying to find one of the recommended barrier projectiles over here but due to our closed market it can be difficult. Reloads due to the massive local costs of most shooting equipment imported by our importers and limited range.

DocGKR
06-04-09, 14:34
75 AMAX PT is generally a target projectile--if you want a 75 gr load for duty/self-defense, use the 75 gr OTM...

ElyasWolff
06-04-09, 20:18
What rifle are you using? The 75gr AMAX will not load to AR15 magazine length.

AJS
06-04-09, 22:35
The Hornady OTM's are not available here (or at least I have been unable to find them after a few months of looking). I had hoped the Lapua 70 grain would be ok but when I asked they had yet to be tested. I can only pick from what I can find.

I'm loading the Amax to under max OAL over AR2206H (4895 for your market). Semi-Autos are banned here so it's in a bolt gun. How far under the max OAL do AR15 mag's allow?

ElyasWolff
06-04-09, 23:28
The Hornady OTM's are not available here (or at least I have been unable to find them after a few months of looking). I had hoped the Lapua 70 grain would be ok but when I asked they had yet to be tested. I can only pick from what I can find.

I'm loading the Amax to under max OAL over AR2206H (4895 for your market). Semi-Autos are banned here so it's in a bolt gun. How far under the max OAL do AR15 mag's allow?

2.260 MAX IIRC
the bullet ogive ends up beneath the case mouth.
Sorry about the Semi-auto ban :-S , God willing we will keep ours