PDA

View Full Version : How much? G17C

M1A2_Tanker
06-04-09, 08:38
I got this 2nd Gen Glock 17c in a trade I'm thinking about trading it in on an XD(M) 9mm. What should I hope to get for it. Round count is low but unknown. Appears to have factory extended slide catch and mag release. The slide is a Blue/Gray color I don't know who or how it was Painted. It looks real good. I haven't found any info on if it was factory painted. I just don't know anything about Glock. I have not even fired it. It says : Made in Austria. Glock. INC.. Smyrna, GA. The frames serial number has "US" added. But the "US" is not on the slide or barrel. I don't know if this means anything. Serial is CHK1XX.

TIA, Cris.
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo300/M1A2_Tanker/P1011187.jpg

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo300/M1A2_Tanker/P1011188.jpg

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo300/M1A2_Tanker/P1011190.jpg

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo300/M1A2_Tanker/P1011192.jpg

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo300/M1A2_Tanker/P1011189.jpg

Business_Casual
06-04-09, 09:59
Pre-craziness they went for around $400 - $450. It is second generation and the US just means it was imported to the USA. Personally, I'd put in a KKM or Lone Wolf non-ported barrel and skip the XD/M. But I'm sure the XD mafia will be along shortly to explain why the grip safety isn't a liability.

M_P

kmrtnsn
06-04-09, 10:08
Keep it. Repaint the slide, put some night sights on it as a just in case measure, and then get the frame re-textured. Maybe play with the trigger after that. This one has a lot of good project potential.

forgiven
06-04-09, 10:49
A shop, in trade is probably going to offer $200-250.

Sell it privately then buy what you want.

But as others have already stated, skip the XD or XDM,

Get a different Glock, change the one you have, get an older W German Sig, HK, or M&P.

Just my opinion though :)

lazythekid
06-04-09, 11:10
But as others have already stated, skip the XD or XDM,

My sentiments also.

Irish
06-04-09, 11:14
My sentiments also.

+1. If you don't like the 17c look at the other Glocks on the market or try out a S&W M&P.

M1A2_Tanker
06-05-09, 19:46
Thanks to all that have replied. I think I will take your advice. After I close on my 1st home (1 Week :D) I will get a Lone Wolf barrel and send them the slide and have both refinished in black. Shoot the heck out of it. I think the "Bump" in the Glock's grip is why I was thinking of trading it in. I have large thin hands but it wants to dig in the fatty part of my palm. I Have a few more questions.

1. Who does grip contouring at reasonable prices? Or even better a tutorial as I am thrifty :eek:.

2. The town I am moving to has a range that runs 3 gun. What other upgrades would you advise for a beginner?

3. Is the Lone Wolf barrel a viable option for 3 gun?

4. Can I reload brass from the Lone Wolf barrel?

Thanks, Cris

PS Does any of the XD dislike come from anything other than part availability? ie: Reliability, failure, etc. I have an XD45 service and compact. I haven't had any problems yet. Sample size 2. I put Heinie straight eight slant pro's on the service. Great sights. I think I'll go with TFO's on the G17c.

M4arc
06-05-09, 21:13
I would keep the OEM barrel in it and ask member Ray T to re-finish the slide in black. He could even help you with the grip.

kmrtnsn
06-05-09, 21:20
Nice! I love it when a plan comes together!

bigb4015
06-06-09, 13:18
have shot both guns and the glock is superior to the XD keep it.

the_fallguy
06-07-09, 00:05
1. I hear good things about grip reductions from Bowie Tactical Concepts and from Cope Reynolds of Ross Sporting Goods.

2. If you are going to only run the pistol for 3 gun matches I would leave it like it is other than installing a Ghost Tactical trigger connector (and adding some warren sights, or whatever you prefer). If you are going to use this pistol for defensive purposes I would swap out the barrel and either look at getting a NY1 trigger return spring along with the Ghost connector or simply keep the trigger stock (this is personal preference, so take it for what it's worth).

3. The Lone Wolf barrel actually has more case support and a slightly tighter chamber than the factory barrels do. I have run a couple of pistols with the LWD barrels, and even loaned them out to friends to use in classes. Mine have never skipped a beat.

I would recommend getting a LWD barrel to get rid of the porting if you are planning to use the pistol defensively. If you are only using the pistol for 3 gun and you are simply trying for more accuracy, you probably aren't able to out shoot the factory bbl anyhow so I wouldn't waste the money on another bbl (unless you shoot reloads).

4. One of my shooting buddies does with no issues.

PS - I don't like the XD grip safety; I have had issues with one handed operations with the XD pistols. 'Also saw several XDs get traded in for Glocks and M&Ps after choking during quals at the local academy. I keep in mind a lot of that was probably the shooter, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think most of it comes down to personal preference and blind devotion/brand loyalty. Pick a platform that works well for what you want to do with it, practice with it and maintain it and you should be fine. (for me the Glock series fit the bill the best, and it has been much easier to maintain than any of the other platforms I have tried....YMMV).