PDA

View Full Version : Wall Penetration Video

EzGoingKev
06-04-09, 17:47
I ran across this (http://www.downrange.tv/bestdefense/wall-penetration.htm) on TOS.

Maybe this will end some of the pistol is safer because it won't penetrate like a high powered .223/5.56 round will.

PlatoCATM
06-04-09, 20:03
Interesting, but it doesn't make me want to use birdshot for HD; rather, I take it as advice to become a better shot with a pistol or rifle.

EzGoingKev
06-05-09, 06:48
Shit, I forgot about all the bird shot people that will be jumping up and down saying we told you so. In that way the video kind of sucks.

I thought if people could see the 9mm vs .45 vs the .223 they might understand it better. I used to think that the 9mm would penetrate less also, but then I came on here and got an education.

I have explained this topic to friends of mine and most of them think I am crazy. People can read about it, but for some seeing is believing.

Glock17JHP
06-06-09, 10:57
I waited several minutes... it didn't seem to want to download... :confused:

Glock17JHP
06-11-09, 13:48
So a slower, heavier 9mm load is better... right???

Like RA9T at about 975 FPS...

DocGKR
06-11-09, 14:56
They don't capture the projectile to see what damage potential it has after first penetrating the intermediate barriers, so it doesn't tell is much...

Glock17JHP
06-11-09, 15:19
Agree, Doc...

I have friends who try to tell me I should use birdshot in my 12 gauge for HD... they tell me I need to be concerned #1 with penetration dangers...

I tell them the pellet size needs to match the 'target' anticipated... indoors and outdoors...

Next time doves or pigeons try to do a home invasion on me... I will use birdshot to stop them... :D

Jim from Houston
06-11-09, 15:32
Here's the link to Winchester's public data for their LE ammo:
http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/testing/testing.aspx#

According to Winchester's data, the 147gr RA9T has much deeper penetration in ballistic gelatin after going through either wallboard or plywood than the 127gr +P+ RA9TA.

Winchester's data shows the RA9T penetrating around 15 inches of gel after passing through those two particular barrier events while the RA9TA penetrates 12 inches...both rounds in the wallboard and plywood events showed proper expansion even after the barrier.

Now, asking what will happen if the bullet strikes another wall next, rather than ballistic gelatin (which is what the video depicts) is a slightly different question, but I still would not want to be standing behind a wall when either of these rounds came through...the wallboard and plywood barriers seem to have little effect on the performance of these rounds.

The only barrier test where Winchester's data gives a clear advantage to the +P+ round in terms of penetration is when a sheet of steel is used as the barrier.

Dozer
06-11-09, 15:39
It also looked like there was empty walls in the video. I would think that even interior walls in a home have insulation or wiring that would also affect the projectiles.

Glock17JHP
06-11-09, 20:45
Jim, you made some very good observations. I was assuming what I said only based on the fact that the .45 ACP seemed to penetrate less than the 9mm, and I only looked at the weight difference. Perhaps the difference I should have looked at is the ballistic coefficient...

Dozer, you have a point, sort of. However, the interior walls in most houses I have seen (in this area, at least) have no insulation at all. There are 2x4 studs and 'fire-breaks' and there is various wiring, but the chances of hitting those are very slim...

malignantbum
06-16-09, 17:55
Agree, Doc...

I have friends who try to tell me I should use birdshot in my 12 gauge for HD... they tell me I need to be concerned #1 with penetration dangers...

I tell them the pellet size needs to match the 'target' anticipated... indoors and outdoors...

Next time doves or pigeons try to do a home invasion on me... I will use birdshot to stop them... :D

I agree, we choose ammo based on anticipated threat