PDA

View Full Version : Pastor Invites People to Bring Guns to Church

Cardiac Nurse
06-04-09, 18:03
Foxnews online had this article this afternoon...

Pastor Invites People to Bring Guns to Church

Thursday, June 04, 2009

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A Kentucky pastor is inviting people to bring their guns to church to celebrate the Fourth of July and the Second Amendment.

New Bethel Church is welcoming "responsible handgun owners" to wear their firearms inside the church on June 27, a Saturday.

An ad says there will be a handgun raffle, patriotic music and information on gun safety.

Church pastor Ken Pagano says guns must be unloaded and private security will check visitors. He says recent church shootings make it necessary to promote safe gun ownership.

Marian McClure Taylor is executive director of the Kentucky Council of Churches.

She says churches work to prevent violent harm and promote peace, but most "allow for arms to be taken up under certain conditions."

SeriousStudent
06-04-09, 19:21
Having lived in Louisville, I find this easy to believe.

We used to bring rifles and pistols to church, change in the bathroom, and head directly to the range after services.

A-Bear680
06-04-09, 19:47
Foxnews online had this article this afternoon...

Pastor Invites People to Bring Guns to Church

Thursday, June 04, 2009
... (Snip for brevity)...

He says recent church shootings make it necessary to promote safe gun ownership.

Marian McClure Taylor is executive director of the Kentucky Council of Churches.

She says churches work to prevent violent harm and promote peace, but most "allow for arms to be taken up under certain conditions."

Jeanne Assam set the example in Colorado Springs 9 December, 2007:

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Assam

Miss Assam stopped a well armed young male wanna-be mass murderer who had already killed 4 people and wounded several others-- at two seperate locations. She counterattacked him very skillfully and very aggressively as he moved down a church hallway toward the congregation.

The last time I checked , around 31 states allowed CCW in houses of worship.

EvilSpeculator556
06-04-09, 20:00
Good! The more people who are awake the better.

BigJim #1-8
06-04-09, 20:28
AMEN!!!
Church Security has been a concern for awhile now.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

ThirdWatcher
06-04-09, 20:29
...guns must be unloaded...

What good is an unloaded firearm?:confused: They'll be lucky if they don't have any A.D.s in the parking lot.

chadbag
06-04-09, 20:37
What good is an unloaded firearm?:confused: They'll be lucky if they don't have any A.D.s in the parking lot.

Depends what they mean by unloaded. Utah's legal definition for unloaded for open carry for example is (was -- have to checked in a while for changes) that it takes two actions to fire -- rack slide and pill trigger or two trigger pills on a DA revolver.

ThirdWatcher
06-05-09, 04:31
I just assumed they meant empty.

I keep my "using guns" loaded a certain way: handguns fully loaded, to include one in the chamber and long arms loaded without a round in the chamber. The last thing I wanna think about if I need one of my weapons is whether it's loaded or not.

Rider79
06-05-09, 04:42
Nevada's definition of loaded is just a round in the chamber. I can carry an AR in my trunk with a full magazine inserted, but no round in the chamber and it's perfectly legal. Of course until you run into the LEO who hasn't bothered to read the statute.

chadbag
06-05-09, 04:44
I just assumed they meant empty.

I keep my "using guns" loaded a certain way: handguns fully loaded, to include one in the chamber and long arms loaded without a round in the chamber. The last thing I wanna think about if I need one of my weapons is whether it's loaded or not.

While I tend to agree with you, some states have special definitions which apply for things like open carry (which is what it appears this pastor is advocating) so it may not be as "stupid" as it sounds. I don't know if that is the case in this case but it could be. In utah it would have to be like that for open carry for example. 2 actions to fire is unloaded.

CryingWolf
06-05-09, 08:05
Church pastor Ken Pagano says guns must be unloaded and private security will check visitors.

'Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'. Rooster Cogburn - True Grit

Caeser25
06-05-09, 17:16
the more you load it and unload it increases the chances of an A.D.

ThirdWatcher
06-05-09, 18:23
the more you load it and unload it increases the chances of an A.D.

+1

Getting to church on time is hassle enough. IMHO, loading and unloading firearms requires your total attention, preferably away from distractions.

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here, but I really wouldn't carry an empty firearm in public.