PDA

View Full Version : A Glock 17 will soon be in my hands...

Avenger29
06-04-09, 20:58
I just ordered a Glock 17 today and I should have it sometime next week.

First Glock I will have owned (have shot a couple in the past). I hope it will be the first of many...

It's going to be my all purpose handgun, CCW, field carry, etc. I figure it won't be too hard to conceal for me (I'm a big guy).

I'll be upgrading the sights (looking at Warrens) and adding a LAV mag release and an extended slide release (haven't decided which). And I'll try to take a class or two, eventually.

Oh, and does anyone know if New Hampshire is still doing non-resident CCW permits? I'm in SC and could really use the reciprocity.

Robb Jensen
06-04-09, 21:15
IIRC NH still does but you must have a CHP/CWP from your home state.

On the Glock I do like the Vickers extended mag catch but on the extended slide stop lever its something that some like and some dislike. I dislike them because it ensures I'll hold the lever down and the pistol won't go to slide lock. I have a very high 'gamer' grip on the gun and it's my support/reaction side hand holding the lever down.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs029.snc1/3180_1045569551562_1595342038_30117760_1518043_n.jpg

Avenger29
06-04-09, 21:23
My SC CCW permit is due to arrive about the end of June or early July. I'm just getting my rig (gun, holster, mags, ammo, gun upgrades) put together.

At least the extended slide release is an affordable part. I'll give it a try and see if I like it or not.

trio
06-04-09, 21:45
i like the extended slide stop, but I had to train myself a little bit to use it...

my grip is not as high up as gotm4's, but i do shoot high grip, thumbs forward...

what i have essentially done is with my back hand (strong side, i.e. right hand) my thumb goes out onto my support hand...so it isnt in contact with the slide release...

i found, actually, that regardless of the slide stop (standard or extended) I would sometimes depress it....I have big hands and really long thumbs (as an example, I can depress the mag release in most guns without changing my grip),...it was the worst for me on Sigs...so i really needed to modify my grip regardless....i tried curling my thumbs down like ayoob does, but didnt find it comfortable...so this seems to work wll for me...

(i also had to move my support hand back some because when firing a G26 thumbs forward my support thumb was AHEAD of the muzzle :eek:...that got a bit hairy...)