PDA

View Full Version : Gear recommendations please

Hobbes
01-14-07, 00:32
Hello all,
I'm getting serious about selling a couple guns to finance a reloader, some more training and gear. "beware the man with one gun" and all that ;).I'm a Marine and usually rely on issue gear, but at the moment am not in a deployable role and so I don't have any!
Anyways, I'd like some advice on a vest, something that will still allow me to have a pistol on my belt as I'd rather keep it there. Any tips on mag pouches and the like would be great too. I've done some searching around, but am having a hard time finding something....
Thanks

mark5pt56
01-14-07, 07:17
In your current role and subject to deployment, I would get a set of what you would be using.

That way you can get accustomed to it and work out all of the bugs.

Hobbes
01-14-07, 11:51
I have thought about that but here is my thinking:
Different units have different type of deuce gear, and once I go back to the fleet I don't know what unit I'll be going to.
With the exception of being able to carry a pistol on a regular belt, I should be able to arrange mag pouches however I wish, possibly even use my own mag pouches and dump bag.

I found this rig from SKD, any info?

http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=36

STLRN
01-14-07, 13:59
Hobbes

From what I saw when I left the FMF there no longer was a standard to what was acceptable 782 gear. You have guys wearing just about everything.

Hobbes
01-14-07, 14:09
Hey that's good news. I left the FMF in '03, so it's been a while.

ETA: I've done some more research, and I'm thinking of using a wilderness instructors belt with pistol mags, dump pouch, pistol and maybe one rifle mag. Sound reasonable? The rest would go on a chest rig.
I'm thinking of using a wilderness belt so that I can still use some of the gear I use for concealed carry with it. Other belts all seem to be 1.75" or larger.

STLRN
01-14-07, 16:58
These days most people buy padded belts like the Blackhawk or TAG with MOLLE on them. When I MEF (FWD) mandated wearing NOMEX for those frequently outside the wire personnel, that meant you lost loops to put a belt on, so the thick padded war belt style become necessary.

The instructor style belts are alright for carrying you side arm around the FOB, somewhat concealed.

Hobbes
01-14-07, 17:12
Understood, I'll look into those belts. Thanks

K.L. Davis
01-14-07, 22:43
Ummm, why not get the MTV?

LOKNLOD
01-14-07, 23:29
Understood, I'll look into those belts. Thanks

Hobbes, there's a couple good threads about belt rigs on here... Lots of good examples in Dinger's "First Line Belts" thread.

Hobbes
01-14-07, 23:35
Ummm, why not get the MTV?
Sorry? ETA: Okay, modular tactical vest. Thanks, I'll check it out. I left the FMF when we still had gen 2 MOLLE 782 gear, so the MTV was new terminology for me.

Yeah I saw that thread, have got some good ideas, thanks. Now I'm thinking of a belt rig like Dingers, except with a belt holster. Anybody have feedback on that SKD chest rig?

Hoplophile
01-15-07, 01:34
Anybody have feedback on that SKD chest rig?
If the pouches are a decent match for what you need then it's a good quality rig at a great price. Depending on your size you can probably keep a belt holster in place so long as you don't add a pouch to the side.

Dave L.
01-15-07, 03:55
Sorry? ETA: Okay, modular tactical vest. Thanks, I'll check it out. I left the FMF when we still had gen 2 MOLLE 782 gear, so the MTV was new terminology for me.

Yeah I saw that thread, have got some good ideas, thanks. Now I'm thinking of a belt rig like Dingers, except with a belt holster. Anybody have feedback on that SKD chest rig?

Personally, I favor plate carriers such as High Speed Gear's Wasatch. A platoon from 1st Force Recon gave everyone on my Recon team one(the had left-overs) while we were in Iraq-istan. They were great, they will fit over the interceptor and easily over soft armor vests. The mid section folds down so you could use it like the SKD if you want- I only wear rigs similar to the SKD if doing PSD and wearing a button-up-shirt over it- but with the Wasatch you can put a camel back pouch on the back or breaching gear. You can also cut up pieces of ISO mat and make layers to cram where the plates would be if you were conducting AMFIB raids and wanted to float a little better.

A little advice: be more clear on your intended use for the gear i.e. home defense, military, PSD, or if you just want something for when SH$T hits the fan- there are a ton of great guys on this website that will gladly send you in the right direction if they know exactly what you want the "gear" for. ;)

Dave L.
01-15-07, 03:58
http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HSG%2DWAS

rob_s
01-15-07, 04:20
A little advice: be more clear on your intended use for the gear i.e. home defense, military, PSD, or if you just want something for when SH$T hits the fan- there are a ton of great guys on this website that will gladly send you in the right direction if they know exactly what you want the "gear" for. ;)
That's exactly what I was going to ask; what's the role for the gear.

Hobbes
01-15-07, 10:32
I'll give you some background that might help- I'm an 0331, so most of my training time was behind a 240. Not really useful for anything else. I'm in a commissioning program now, and will be a butter bar in about 2 months. I'll be going to quantico after that and will have some dead time before I start my mil training and want to take a class or 2 -for military purposes but also for protecting my family. Obviously at some point I'll be going over to Iraq.
The gear I would use mainly for classes, and if it works out and I'm allowed to, take it on deployment with an added, issued plate carrier underneath of course. Or possibly the Wasatch...
Thanks again for the advice.

K.L. Davis
01-15-07, 10:57

You could be an early adopter :) The MTV will only start delivering next month.

Seriously, there is more than a little wisdom to the idea of using the same equipment at work and "off duty" -- The MTV is a very nice vest, no two ways about it... I think it was like 9 out of 10 Marines in the evaluation that picked the MTV?

Hobbes
01-15-07, 11:02
Seriously, there is more than a little wisdom to the idea of using the same equipment at work and "off duty"

Couldn't agree more, if I'm authorized of course. I would like to keep a pistol on my belt, so whatever training I get can be translated to off duty carry.
Anyways, I've been looking for an MTV but only found one for over $900:eek:

STLRN
01-15-07, 12:29
Congrats on the commissioning, however at TBS you will wear TBS issued gear. There is really only one way to do things there, and it is the TBS way. Unless you are one of the few, you don't know what your MOS is yet, you could end up an 0180 and you may not need 782 gear at all.

Having said that, MTV is the Spartan II. If you already have armor it is only a couple hundred dollars, the Interceptor armor goes right into it the Spartan II, MTV.

Hobbes
01-15-07, 12:43
Oh yeah, I know I'll do things the TBS way. I'm more concerned with after TBS. And you're correct I won't find my new MOS until about half way through TBS. Whether I'm a grunt again or the adj (puke) I still want to become a better shooter. Most of my training I believe will be centered around leading, and plt level tactics. I'll look up the Spartan II.