PDA

View Full Version : Preventative Maintenance Schedule

Crow Hunter
06-05-09, 17:55
Gentlemen

I have looked around but have not been able to find a PM schedule for the AR-15 rifle. What would be nice to have is a listing of common wear parts along with a round count recommendation for replacement. (Similar to manufacturing equipment manuals)

Can anyone point me towards such a resource?

Thanks in advance.

CH

el guapo
06-05-09, 18:32
I've seen

Extractor spring
Extractor insert
Gas rings
Action Spring

Replace bolt

Iraqgunz
06-05-09, 19:01
There is no real way to measure this. That is because of various factors such as manufacturing, quality control, etc.. etc.. Here are a few things that I will recommend.

1. Perform a check of your gas rings after all cleaning periods. Some people say it is necessary to clean all the time. However, along with cleaning goes inspecting the weapon for wear or potential damage, etc...

2. Maintain a logbook.

3. Consider changing your gas tube at least once a year.

4. Keep a spare extractor assembly or two on hand as well as the spring and insert.

5. As for your buffer spring. The TM has the acceptable limits for both the carbine and rifle springs listed. If you have been shooting alot then measure them at the next cleaning cycle. When it gets with a 1/4" or so of the limit replace it.

andy t
06-05-09, 20:18
Iraqgunz,

What's involved in changing out a gas tube? Can it be done in place, without removing barrel, etc. ?

Thanks

DRich
06-05-09, 20:21
What's involved in changing out a gas tube? Can it be done in place, without removing barrel, etc. ?

I'm not IG, but it's a simple process. Just remove the handguards, tap out the retaining roll pin in the gas block/FSB, push the tube into the upper receiver until it clears the gas block and pull it out. Reverse the procedure to install.

Iraqgunz
06-05-09, 20:22
You got it. :cool:

I'm not IG, but it's a simple process. Just remove the handguards, tap out the retaining roll pin in the gas block/FSB, push the tube into the upper receiver until it clears the gas block and pull it out. Reverse the procedure to install.

lanceriley
06-05-09, 22:55
why do you change the gas tube??

Iraqgunz
06-06-09, 03:31
Because gas tubes can get clogged up with carbon. The TM actually calls for soaking gas tubes in a chemical that will more than likely make your penis fall off and is probably more expensive than just replacing it. I think the .MIL cost is about 7.00 on a carbine gas tube.

why do you change the gas tube??

lanceriley
06-06-09, 04:22
Because gas tubes can get clogged up with carbon. The TM actually calls for soaking gas tubes in a chemical that will more than likely make your penis fall of and is probably more expensive than just replacing it. I think the .MIL cost is about 7.00 on a carbine gas tube.

hahaha.. that's pretty funny. how many rounds do you get to do that?? coz i've never really reached the point that I needed to clean or replace the gas tube.

is there a noticeable difference in shooting when the gas tube is dirty?

dcmdon
06-09-09, 08:54
A couple of thoughts.

My maintenance schedule with an AR would vary depending on its use.

A plinker would get the least maintenance.
A competitive gun would get more.
A gun I will bet my life on will get the most aggresive maintenance.

One of the things that we seek to avoid is catastrophic failure of a part that renders the gun inoperable.

It seems to me that a gas tube will not fail that way. If it gets clogged (and I've never heard of that) it would fail gradually. A failure to extract here. Then maybe failing to lock back on an empty mag.

The bottom line here is that if a gas tube clogged, it would be gradual. It wouldn't just suddenly stop cycling the action. As such, I don't think there is any need to change it on time.

Here is a question to some of the really experienced guys out there. have you ever seen a clogged gas tube? It would seem to me that the tube would build up some crap, but then reach an equilibrium at which point the 10,000 psi of combustion gas would remove anything as quickly as it accumulated.

Don

larry0071
06-09-09, 09:19
You know what I got out of all this?
I do NOT want my penis to fall off, so rather than try to find the shit that IG uses, I will buy a new gas tube once in a while. I am kinda fond of my junk..... Damn IG.... I get the heebee-jeebees just imagining that!

Iraqgunz
06-09-09, 10:15
The gas tubes get clogged from a unburnt powder and carbon build up. This is addressed on page 152 of TM 9-1005-319-23&P under the section short recoil. Specifically the chemical is carbon cleaning compound. Essentially when your gas system starts to fail you can isolate the issue by doing the following.

1. Ensure that the bolt carrier key is tightened and staked and that the lips of the carrier key are not damaged.

2. With a clean BCG inspect and test gas rings.

3. Ensure that gas tube roll pin is in place.

4. Check for a broken or damaged gas tube.

When all of those steps fail they then recommend soaking the barrel assy. in carbon removing compound as well. If the system still malfucntions then the barrel is replaced. What they don't address is gas port erosion which will also cause your weapons to malfunction. So you may not think or believe what I said about the gas tube but it is a fact of life. I have a few hours of experience with the M16 FOW and I have seen quite a bit.

A couple of thoughts.

My maintenance schedule with an AR would vary depending on its use.

A plinker would get the least maintenance.
A competitive gun would get more.
A gun I will bet my life on will get the most aggresive maintenance.

One of the things that we seek to avoid is catastrophic failure of a part that renders the gun inoperable.

It seems to me that a gas tube will not fail that way. If it gets clogged (and I've never heard of that) it would fail gradually. A failure to extract here. Then maybe failing to lock back on an empty mag.

The bottom line here is that if a gas tube clogged, it would be gradual. It wouldn't just suddenly stop cycling the action. As such, I don't think there is any need to change it on time.

Here is a question to some of the really experienced guys out there. have you ever seen a clogged gas tube? It would seem to me that the tube would build up some crap, but then reach an equilibrium at which point the 10,000 psi of combustion gas would remove anything as quickly as it accumulated.

Don

Iraqgunz
06-09-09, 10:22
For anyone that is interested here is the NSN and a link to the source for said Carbon Removing Compound. NSN 6850-00-965-2332.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0680532&ucst=t

dcmdon
06-09-09, 12:24
I wasn't challenging you. I was looking for some real experience. So its real.

Iraqgunz
06-09-09, 12:31
Sorry if I was confrontational, I was just trying to lay it out. FWIW- I just replace the gas tube. It's cheaper and less headache in the long run than using that chemical crap. Some shops may opt for using it on the barrels, but in the places where I was we didn't. I might also add that you also need a Hawkeye Bore Scope to see if your gas port is eroded and they aren't cheap.

I wasn't challenging you. I was looking for some real experience. So its real.

dcmdon
06-09-09, 12:36
If you can, take a wild stab at how many rounds the guns the needed the tube replace had seen.

5000?
15,000?

Thanks,

Don

p.s. I ask because while I am not a particularly heavy shooter (4000 rounds/year), I've never had to deal with my gas tube getting dirty. Maybe thats because most guns are over-gassed from the beginning.