PDA

View Full Version : Cost of 5.56 Re-Loading compared to .22?

impure
06-05-09, 22:29
As some of you helpful members may know I will hopefully be buying an AR-15 soon(once my fiancee's lease is up in August) but I have been come across another dilemma. I was talking with my fiancee and we figured that we could afford the rifle but not sure we can afford to put many rounds down range. So she suggested getting an LMT lower and then building it up as a .22 cal plinker. This would be a goal for us so she can have something eventually for herself as well.

I want one chambered in the standard 5.56 round for longer and more powerful shooting(compared to the .22). Also I wanted to become as proficient as possible with the round and the rifle. The price of 5.56 ammo seems to only be going up and its becoming harder to find the ammo in bulk as though it seems. The cost and relative scarcity of the ammunition is also a key factor in my resulting decision of whether to go with the 5.56 or .22.

So after the life story that I just bothered you all with...which would be a better bet?
the .22 would be cheaper which means that I would be able to afford to go to the range a hell of a lot more and stay out longer, however with the 5.56 I would be able to practice more with the rifle set up in such a way that if I ever needed the gun for any real reason other than target shooting I would be better prepared for the situation. I was thinking maybe I could get into hand loading in the future to cut costs of ammo and hopefully help me build a healthy supply of ammunition. But for those of you shooting hand loads is it still too expensive to send many rounds down range? So any suggestions or first hand experience with the matter would be greatly appreciated. I have also searched under hand loads and re-loading but to no avail. So if any of you could help that would be great.

Thank You,
Floyd

Jaeger
06-05-09, 22:42
Floyd, shooting .22lr will definitely be cheaper. I would order a conversion kit and a pile of Black Dog mags whether you chose to reload or not.

I honestly don't know what componants cost right now. I haven't reloaded for a little while and have a fairly good stockpile of brass, bullets and primers.
You can buy a single stage press, dies and a primer seater for not a lot of $.
Buy a few manuals and some componants and give it a try. Loading on a single stage press will be time consuming and it will take you a lot longer to load them than to shoot them! You may get the urge to move into a progressive press but I would hold off on that until you get your feet wet and get a feel for what you are doing.

You can do a lot of training with the .22. It will be cheaper and less time consuming that shooting reloaded 5.56. However there is no complete substitute for the real thing. Plus, you can really tailor loads to your rifle when you reload.
If you have the $ I'd do both. If not, I'd get the conversion kit and save for the reloading equipment.

Jaeger
06-05-09, 23:04
I just did a REAL rough cost calculation based on figures I got from MidwayUSA.

Brass .21
bullet .08
primer .04
powder .07

Total cost for the round would be roughly .40 cents.

Now brass can be reloaded so that helps some. It does not include shipping, tax etc. or the cost of needed equipment.

The cost of other componants will affect this as well.

The cost of a CCI MiniMag is about .07

impure
06-06-09, 00:40

Brass .21
bullet .08
primer .04
powder .07

Now brass can be reloaded so that helps some. It does not include shipping, tax etc. or the cost of needed equipment.

Ok thank you for the advice. I think I am just going to go with the 5.56 because I know I'll want to switch if I got the 22. Screw it if its more expensive to shoot 5.56

Thermodyn
06-06-09, 01:13
Perhaps I missed something, but to me it seems, that if you just wanted to go plinking there are much more economical options than a .22lr AR. It's less money to just buy a Ruger 10/22, and then put the saved money toward a .556 upper eventually. But that's not the point now is it.

The whole point of buying the .22 upper for the AR is for affordable training, so you can stay familiar with the AR manual of arms without breaking the bank. But ultimately, there's no point in that if you don't have a .556 rifle to "take it to the bank" if/when it becomes necessary to protect you and yours.

Don't buy the .22 upper in lieu of the .556. Buy the .22 upper and save for the .556. Or, buy the .556 and get a 10/22.

JMHO

Jaeger
06-06-09, 02:47
Floyd, Ciener, CMMG and Spikes Tactical all make high quality .22lr conversion kits that replace your 5.56 bolt carrier group and allow you to shoot .22 from your 5.56 upper. You will not get match grade accuracy but it will certainly be accurate enough for CQB training at 30 yards and in.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1705870&cat=81&

http://www.22lrconversions.com/atch-pg.htm

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=176&zenid=7cp01jlvvrai9sfd49cmrqgsv0

I have the Ciener and it runs like a champ. You can get high quality, hi-cap mags from Black Dog Machine.
http://blackdogmachinellc.net/index.aspx

The swap takes only a few seconds. When you are done shooting .22, remove the kit, run a bore snake through the barrel and chamber and replace your standard bolt group and you are back to shooting full power ammo.

Do a search. There are LOTS of threads covering the subject.

Bimmer
06-06-09, 04:16
the .22 would be cheaper which means that I would be able to afford to go to the range a hell of a lot more and stay out longer, however with the 5.56 I would be able to practice more with the rifle set up in such a way that if I ever needed the gun for any real reason other than target shooting I would be better prepared for the situation.

Like Jäger said, get a 5.56 upper and a .22lr conversion.

Even reloaded 5.56/.223 is going to be about 15-20˘ per round, but Federal bulk pack .22lr retails for less than 4˘ per round.

If you want to fiancé to shoot it, too, then a .22lr conversion is a great idea (little noise, imperceptible recoil).

Bimmer

Jaeger
06-06-09, 04:29
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=414445

Ciener kits on sale and available from Midway USA.
Ciener has a bad customer service reputation but I've never had to deal with them. My conversion kit continues to work well and rebuild and spring kits are available from Black Dog Machine.

austinN4
06-06-09, 06:55
Ciener kits on sale and available from Midway USA.
Ciener has a bad customer service reputation but I've never had to deal with them. My conversion kit continues to work well and rebuild and spring kits are available from Black Dog Machine.
Why in the world buy a Ciener when there are quality CMMG and Spike's kits available?

Jaeger
06-06-09, 10:51
Because they are currently $60 cheaper than than Spikes and CMMG and they are of high quality.

markm
06-06-09, 11:04
Buy a 10/22 and save yourself an assload of money and grief. Keep your AR platform separate of rimfire. That's just my opinion.

Mac5.56
06-06-09, 12:19
If you want to fiancé to shoot it, too, then a .22lr conversion is a great idea (little noise, imperceptible recoil).

Bimmer

Why should little noise and no re-coil be a factor when considering a female shooter? Seems like more a detriment to training a shooter then not. My fiance can accurately fire all of my firearms up too high power rifles and the 12 gauge.

To stay on topic though I would buy a 10/22.

Bimmer
06-06-09, 13:18
I'm not a chauvinist... I'm well aware that a lot of women don't mind the noise and recoil of full-power rounds.

However, the OP said:

So she suggested getting an LMT lower and then building it up as a .22 cal plinker. This would be a goal for us so she can have something eventually for herself as well.

So, I figured his fiancé would be a lot happier shooting .22lr most of the time...

Bimmer

Mac5.56
06-06-09, 13:22
I'm not a chauvinist... I'm well aware that a lot of women don't mind the noise and recoil of full-power rounds.

However, the OP said:

So, I figured his fiancé would be a lot happier shooting .22lr most of the time...

Bimmer

Fair enough. I noticed that in the original too.

WyrTwister
06-06-09, 13:36
As some of you helpful members may know I will hopefully be buying an AR-15 soon(once my fiancee's lease is up in August) but I have been come across another dilemma. I was talking with my fiancee and we figured that we could afford the rifle but not sure we can afford to put many rounds down range. So she suggested getting an LMT lower and then building it up as a .22 cal plinker. This would be a goal for us so she can have something eventually for herself as well.

I want one chambered in the standard 5.56 round for longer and more powerful shooting(compared to the .22). Also I wanted to become as proficient as possible with the round and the rifle. The price of 5.56 ammo seems to only be going up and its becoming harder to find the ammo in bulk as though it seems. The cost and relative scarcity of the ammunition is also a key factor in my resulting decision of whether to go with the 5.56 or .22.

So after the life story that I just bothered you all with...which would be a better bet?
the .22 would be cheaper which means that I would be able to afford to go to the range a hell of a lot more and stay out longer, however with the 5.56 I would be able to practice more with the rifle set up in such a way that if I ever needed the gun for any real reason other than target shooting I would be better prepared for the situation. I was thinking maybe I could get into hand loading in the future to cut costs of ammo and hopefully help me build a healthy supply of ammunition. But for those of you shooting hand loads is it still too expensive to send many rounds down range? So any suggestions or first hand experience with the matter would be greatly appreciated. I have also searched under hand loads and re-loading but to no avail. So if any of you could help that would be great.

Thank You,
Floyd

Cost / price wise , just buy a .22LR rifle now .

Buy an AR when you can afford it .

God bless
Wyr

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-06-09, 13:39
Maybe I didn't see it but it seems to me that the path would be:

Complete lower (Or part one up- I really don't think you save money but you get what you want, but since you don't have one yet, you really don't know. A complete lower later would be easier to sell later then a hand built one.)

Buy an upper with out a Bolf Carrier Group, there is some money saving there, and buy a Spikes kit. Magpul MBUS sights (a standard front sight would save you some cash) and you are in .22 business.

exkc135driver
06-06-09, 13:59

Brass .21
bullet .08
primer .04
powder .07

To the OP: You can bring the cost down by purchasing reprocessed brass (about $120/1000). Depending on how much the Brass God takes, you should get at least six loads out of that, bringing your per-shot brass cost down to two cents. BUT, you will need several hundred dollars’ worth of press, dies, scales, powder dispenser, etc., etc. In the long run it will probably cost you more dollars than buying loaded ammo would have, but you will shoot much more.

One thought: Many people will recommend a Dillon press. Personally I think they’re the best thing out there, but they are expensive. Start with a single-stage press, because (a) they are much less expensive; (b) learning to reload while also learning to use a progressive press is not, IMO, a good idea; and (c) later when you develop both the need and the finances for a progressive press, you will still need a single-stage press. But buy a good one.

Some people will say that it takes too long to reload quantity ammo on a single-stage press. Not really. Once you get your rhythm going, it doesn’t take long to reload 100 rounds, so if you need 500-1,000 rounds, just start the loading process a week or two before you need the ammo and you’ll be fine.

Mac5.56
06-06-09, 15:22

Brass .21
bullet .08
primer .04
powder .07

I've been thinking about this... In my area I can still get packs of 20 rounds of Remington for 9.99 a box. Making the per bullet cost 50 cents. When I buy in bulk of course the cost goes down.

But considering how valuable my time is, the time to reload and save those few pennies doesn't seem appealing.

WyrTwister
06-06-09, 17:02
To the OP: You can bring the cost down by purchasing reprocessed brass (about $120/1000). Depending on how much the Brass God takes, you should get at least six loads out of that, bringing your per-shot brass cost down to two cents. BUT, you will need several hundred dollars’ worth of press, dies, scales, powder dispenser, etc., etc. In the long run it will probably cost you more dollars than buying loaded ammo would have, but you will shoot much more.

One thought: Many people will recommend a Dillon press. Personally I think they’re the best thing out there, but they are expensive. Start with a single-stage press, because (a) they are much less expensive; (b) learning to reload while also learning to use a progressive press is not, IMO, a good idea; and (c) later when you develop both the need and the finances for a progressive press, you will still need a single-stage press. But buy a good one.

Some people will say that it takes too long to reload quantity ammo on a single-stage press. Not really. Once you get your rhythm going, it doesn’t take long to reload 100 rounds, so if you need 500-1,000 rounds, just start the loading process a week or two before you need the ammo and you’ll be fine.

Do not over look the Lee Classic Cast Iron turret press , I received one for Christmas & really like it .

You could take out the auto index shaft and use it as a single stage until you get up to speed .

Often you can custom reload for your rifle and produce ammo more accurate than what you are shooting now .

As far as brass cost , do not forget range brass . :-)

God bless
Wyr

aedavis
06-11-09, 23:10
I haven't reloaded .223 for awhile, but I spend about $200 to load 1000 rounds of 223. This does not include the price of brass, because I pick it up for free. The breakdown is:

$35 for 1000 primers
$90 for 1000 Hornady 55gr SP
$75 for 4lbs of BLC-2 (I buy it 8lbs at a time)

This doesn't consider the cost of the reloading setup, but that was paid for long ago.

I can get cheap Federal 550 round packs of 22LR at Walmart for $15 or so, when they are in stock, so the LR is far cheaper to shoot. Even if you use better 22LR ammo, you won't be spending anywhere near as much shooting 22LR as .223.

Bimmer
06-12-09, 13:38
I've been thinking about this... In my area I can still get packs of 20 rounds of Remington for 9.99 a box. Making the per bullet cost 50 cents. When I buy in bulk of course the cost goes down.

But considering how valuable my time is, the time to reload and save those few pennies doesn't seem appealing.

To each his own.

5.56 is still shipping for under $400/1,000, but that's still almost 40˘ per round.

On the other hand, once you've got the brass, you can reload for less than 20˘ per round.

That's half price, which saves more than a "few pennies." Still, depending on how busy I am, sometimes it's just not worth it...

Bimmer

exkc135driver
06-12-09, 16:57

Each of us has his own perception of the value of his time. Certainly, if you compare the income most of us make (on an hourly basis) to the amount of money (on an hourly basis) we can save by reloading, it doesn't make economic sense to reload. But unless you are giving up time you would otherwise be paid for in order to reload, that's not a valid comparison.

I've had people tell me that they would rather spend their time at the range than spend it reloading. Well, so would I. But since I do most of my reloading at night or at other times when I can't go to the range, that is also not a valid comparison.

Reloading allows me to shoot more accurate ammo and to save myself some money, but (depending on how much you shoot) you may not save enough money to make it worthwhile for you.