PDA

View Full Version : Rifle question

Slater
06-06-09, 09:12
I bought one of the Bushmaster plain-Jane A2 HBAR's (20 inch barrel) to use purely for range plinking and general target practice.

I know that rifle-length weapons are a bit softer-shooting and thus put somewhat less stress on the works than a carbine.

I'm familiar with the recommended upgrades for carbines, but for rifle-length weapons would there be any recommended modifications to insure better reliability (other than staking, etc)?

Failure2Stop
06-06-09, 09:28
Pretty much just correct extractor upgrades (buffer and spring), no o-ring. You might want to have the chamber reamed to ensure that it is a "true" 5.56. Upgraded action spring (buffer spring) will provide even softer shooting and improved bolt return. IIRC, BMs come with an S/A BC, upgrading to the F/A is usually advised.

As usual, run it wet.

WyrTwister
06-06-09, 16:11
I bought one of the Bushmaster plain-Jane A2 HBAR's (20 inch barrel) to use purely for range plinking and general target practice.

I know that rifle-length weapons are a bit softer-shooting and thus put somewhat less stress on the works than a carbine.

I'm familiar with the recommended upgrades for carbines, but for rifle-length weapons would there be any recommended modifications to insure better reliability (other than staking, etc)?

Clean & inspect it every time you shoot it . Then lube it .

If you are worried , get some spare parts and perhaps a broken shell extractor ?

I use a one piece steel cleaning rod coated with some sort of red plastic . Get a good brass jag & a supply of patches .

I use Shooters choice copper remover , followed by Hoppies # 9 to kill the ammonia . Finish up with CLP .

God bless
Wyr