PDA

View Full Version : Colt/Umarex M4

Kilroy
06-06-09, 11:26
Local store just received five of the .22 rimfire Colt marked, Umarex manufactured M4 type carbines. Shipped in a fairly durable cardboard box, it came with one magazine. The magazine and well appear to be proprietary. I am going to stop back with a Black Dog magazine and check for fit.

The carbine seems to be full size and handled well, without too much of the cheap "air soft" feel that I would have expected. I did not care for the safety that required close to 180 degrees of movement to gain a 'fire' position that allowed the gun to fire.

The magazine looks like it'll be easy to load, but may be unique to this design.

Priced at $599.

http://colt22rimfire.com/

DRich
06-06-09, 12:57
From the other threads here, it's been stated the BD mags aren't compatible.

CatmostFeared
06-08-09, 03:14
I just got one this weekend and have shot about 100 rounds with the rifle so far :D

Hat Creek
06-08-09, 21:46
BD mags are a no go, and the in store rail forearms would not fit. Appears Umarex may have exclusive dimensions for their products.

rodent.22
08-31-09, 19:01
yeah this rifle has very little commonality in parts, but still is a hoot to shoot. I put mine next to my buddies Armalite M4, the .22 has no strap....

Solscud007
09-04-09, 07:47
Nice. I got the same Colt M4 OPS. but I added some things to mine. I got an Eotech 512 and my Surefire weaponlight is not in the pic, but you get the idea.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8804/dsc0276k.jpg

Just shot it for the first time yesterday. used CCI stingers and only had a slight jam in the first round but after that smooth sailing. Im suprised how quiet my M4 is compared to my Sig Mosquito shooting the same round. But I guess that has to do with barrel length and the energy being 16 inches away from my head compared to the mosquito's 4-5 inches.

ST911
09-04-09, 09:21
Saw some of these the other day, $559 for the basic and $609 for the railed.

Interesting, but I keep coming back to a conversion upper instead.

Solscud007
09-04-09, 09:48
If you already have an AR then by all means get a conversion. I don't have another AR. I have played airsoft for 11 years and thought it was time to get a real firearm. I was gonna get the GSG-5 but the store I went to only had silver or gunmetal anniversary editions. I wanted black So I went with the Colt M4.

rodent.22
09-04-09, 11:42
Nice. I got the same Colt M4 OPS. but I added some things to mine. I got an Eotech 512 and my Surefire weaponlight is not in the pic, but you get the idea.

Just shot it for the first time yesterday. used CCI stingers and only had a slight jam in the first round but after that smooth sailing. Im suprised how quiet my M4 is compared to my Sig Mosquito shooting the same round. But I guess that has to do with barrel length and the energy being 16 inches away from my head compared to the mosquito's 4-5 inches.That tan and black looks great- a real nice dressout....

Solscud007
09-04-09, 12:03
Thanks. I plan on getting the Magpul MIAD grip in Tan as well as the Magpul MBUS.

Solscud007
09-05-09, 21:17
shot a new pic of my toy.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8616/dsc0542i.jpg

Ridge_Runner_5
09-06-09, 02:17
Remember that it is not an AR-15 in .22, but a .22 dressed up to look like an AR-15...see the innards of the lower receiver and you'll understand...

austinN4
09-06-09, 03:38
I am curious as to why someone would pay $600 for the Umarex when the S&W M&P15-22 is selling in the low to mid $400 range?

Solscud007
09-06-09, 07:48
I didnt know of the S&W M&P15-22 when i got my Colt M4. however Do i regret it? not so much. I do like the fact that mine says "Colt M4" a minor cosmetic bonus but sometimes its all in the name.

austinN4
09-06-09, 10:43
I didnt know of the S&W M&P15-22 when i got my Colt M4. however Do i regret it? not so much. I do like the fact that mine says "Colt M4" a minor cosmetic bonus but sometimes its all in the name.
Sorry, Solscud, I wasn't referring to you specifically. I meant now that the S&W is out.

Solscud007
09-06-09, 11:46
Sorry, Solscud, I wasn't referring to you specifically. I meant now that the S&W is out.

No worries. I wasn't taking offense to it. I was just rationalizing my purchase. Men can always raionalize and reason our purchases haha

chavez_e_chavez
09-06-09, 12:21
I am curious as to why someone would pay $600 for the Umarex when the S&W M&P15-22 is selling in the low to mid $400 range?

i got my Colt ar/22 for 450.00 off gun broker...I got a hell of a deal IMO..;)

Ick
09-06-09, 12:27
I can answer your question from my standpoint. I looked into both of them in detail before they hit the market. BOTH rifles leave something to be desired, believe me. That doesn't mean that they are not a purchase.

The Colt is ALL METAL, that was really attractive to me. The threaded barrel is also and excellent addition. Non-AR trigger doesn't bother me a bit. The fact that the bolt release doesnt work is just retarded. Someone needs to be fired for having a non-functional bolt release.

The S&W is a great price. The barrel is not threaded although from what I understand future runs may include a threaded barrel. The AR standard trigger is great, but not a big deal to me. The bolt is NOT standard ar style, but neither is the colt so no biggie there. The functional bolt release is sweet, but what moron decided to make the frame PLASTIC? I want a gun as real as possible and plastic doesnt' cut it. If guys think the Colt is like cheap airsoft I can't imagine how "airsofty" they must feel about the M&P.

These two clowns should have got together and designed ONE rifle that is close to an actual AR as possilbe.

Instead we have the option to buy one of two rifles that.... well.... .could have been so much better than they are.

Solscud007
09-07-09, 17:54
I can answer your question from my standpoint. I looked into both of them in detail before they hit the market. BOTH rifles leave something to be desired, believe me. That doesn't mean that they are not a purchase.

The Colt is ALL METAL, that was really attractive to me. The threaded barrel is also and excellent addition. Non-AR trigger doesn't bother me a bit. The fact that the bolt release doesnt work is just retarded. Someone needs to be fired for having a non-functional bolt release.

The S&W is a great price. The barrel is not threaded although from what I understand future runs may include a threaded barrel. The AR standard trigger is great, but not a big deal to me. The bolt is NOT standard ar style, but neither is the colt so no biggie there. The functional bolt release is sweet, but what moron decided to make the frame PLASTIC? I want a gun as real as possible and plastic doesnt' cut it. If guys think the Colt is like cheap airsoft I can't imagine how "airsofty" they must feel about the M&P.

These two clowns should have got together and designed ONE rifle that is close to an actual AR as possilbe.

Instead we have the option to buy one of two rifles that.... well.... .could have been so much better than they are.

the most annoying thing, about the Colt, is that the safety is a full 180deg turn to fire. very annoying.

rodent.22
09-07-09, 21:48
Wow- the Anti colt guys are about 10 to 1 over the actual owners....I've never seen a firearm product generate so much negative reaction. The average OWNER of one seems to be well pleased. The safety means nothing to me, the bolt hold-open works fine with a magazine, the lever not operating means nothing to me, and the forward assist knob is a plus, even if it doesn't work. Lay the Colt next to a real AR, it's a dead ringer. Feels like one too. I look at it for what it IS- a .22 made to look and feel like an AR- NOT an AR.:D The attached photo is my buddies Armalite with the Umarex/Colt. The Armalite has the strap.....If the mags were reversed you would be hard pressed to tell 'em apart...LOL

Solscud007
09-07-09, 22:16
Wow- the Anti colt guys are about 10 to 1 over the actual owners....I've never seen a firearm product generate so much negative reaction. The average OWNER of one seems to be well pleased. The safety means nothing to me, the bolt hold-open works fine with a magazine, the lever not operating means nothing to me, and the forward assist knob is a plus, even if it doesn't work. Lay the Colt next to a real AR, it's a dead ringer. Feels like one too. I look at it for what it IS- a .22 made to look and feel like an AR- NOT an AR.:D The attached photo is my buddies Armalite with the Umarex/Colt. The Armalite has the strap.....If the mags were reversed you would be hard pressed to tell 'em apart...LOL

Oh dont get me wrong. I love my Colt. Just I have medium sized hands. I have to shift my weapon side hand's fire control position to actuate the safety switch. I would prefer a simple 90 turn. not 180 deg.

halfmoonclip
09-10-09, 21:40
If the notion is to have a .22rf that works as much like the real thing as possible, then the S&W gets the nod. If you want pretty, then pick the Colt.
Moon

rodent.22
09-11-09, 22:34
If the notion is to have a .22rf that works as much like the real thing as possible, then the S&W gets the nod. If you want pretty, then pick the Colt.
MoonFirearms are like women- every guy has a preference that differs from the next guy.....I like the Walther/Umarex/Colt- I also like the Smith, but I bought the W/U/C and I DON'T regret it....LOL

halfmoonclip
09-12-09, 20:33
Firearms are like women- every guy has a preference that differs from the next guy.....I like the Walther/Umarex/Colt- I also like the Smith, but I bought the W/U/C and I DON'T regret it....LOL

Hey, to each his own, and I didn't mean to argue. I'm happy with the Smith as well...no denying that it is fun to burn a serious amount of ammo in an AR-like platform without the big bill. Fun without guilt!
Moon
ETA-
Why did it take manufacturers this long to figure it out?
M

bm176
09-15-09, 03:39
solscud007, nice mods on your colt. mine is still a work in progress, very happy with my colt 22lr.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/233.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/217-1.jpg

tremor64
10-04-09, 22:39
all these post kinda scared me a bit - took mine to the range yesterday and it ate a couple of hundred rounds 40 gr rn CCI Mini-Mags - lot of fun and like I said ... so far so good

WadeH
10-22-09, 16:14
Are the treads the same as the SIG?

I have one of these rifles as well. I have to say after seeing the S&W, I think I like it more. My opinion changed after I cleaned it.

Just shot it for the first time yesterday. used CCI stingers and only had a slight jam in the first round but after that smooth sailing. Im suprised how quiet my M4 is compared to my Sig Mosquito shooting the same round. But I guess that has to do with barrel length and the energy being 16 inches away from my head compared to the mosquito's 4-5 inches.

Paul45
10-27-09, 10:46
I recently purchased the COLT after looking at the S&W and the RUGER 10/22 look alike. I picked the COLT because of the weight and feel. Yes the bolt release and forward assist are for looks but it functions very well and the mags work. I have put about 700 rounds thru it in the last 2 weeks with no failures which is very unusual for any .22 with cheap ammo. I have cleaned it once after the 1st 200 rounds. I swapped out the rear sight for a fold down and put on a cheap TruGlo dot. I have 5 mags and IT IS FUN!!!!!!!!!

eodinert
10-28-09, 02:55
I made a .22 AR out of a crappy 1/12 barrel I had laying around, and a carry handle upper in the parts pin. As an added bonus, I can put a real upper on it and shoot real bullets out of it.

I guess I don't get the whole 'look alike' .22 guns, because everyone who's been into ARs for more than a week or two probably has the parts laying around to make one (out of real parts) for the cost of a conversion kit (or less). It feels like a real AR because it IS a real AR, and all AR accessories fit and function just fine.

perna
10-28-09, 04:23
Unless you have a full AR laying around to use, or enough parts to put one together, it is going to cost more when you add on a $200 conversion kit. I would rather just spend the $400-500 on a "fake" one, that can also use real AR accessories and that was made to shoot .22lr.

Paul45
10-28-09, 08:57
It's another gun! Everyone needs another gun. Grab and go have fun.

perna
10-28-09, 10:24
Also have to figure that these "fake" guns have 1/16"- 1/13&3/4"twist, the barrel twist is way less than a standard AR rifle.

tremor64
10-28-09, 15:34
I recently purchased the COLT after looking at the S&W and the RUGER 10/22 look alike. I picked the COLT because of the weight and feel. Yes the bolt release and forward assist are for looks but it functions very well and the mags work. I have put about 700 rounds thru it in the last 2 weeks with no failures which is very unusual for any .22 with cheap ammo. I have cleaned it once after the 1st 200 rounds. I swapped out the rear sight for a fold down and put on a cheap TruGlo dot. I have 5 mags and IT IS FUN!!!!!!!!!

with you bro - for all the above reasons - way fun!

JulienBoit
11-09-09, 03:09
Here is what I've with mine.
Cut the barrel to 10.5 inches, put a SOPMOD like stock, buffer tube has been marinized, Magazine modified to look like a regular 30 rounds mag.
I also modified the selector to works like the original.
I grinded the pistol grip to look like the M16A1 grip and I put a Aimpoint comp replica on it since the picture was taken.

http://ar15france.com/brd/download/file.php?id=362

Solscud007
11-09-09, 08:17
Here is what I've with mine.
Cut the barrel to 10.5 inches, put a SOPMOD like stock, buffer tube has been marinized, Magazine modified to look like a regular 30 rounds mag.
I also modified the selector to works like the original.
I grinded the pistol grip to look like the M16A1 grip and I put a Aimpoint comp replica on it since the picture was taken.

http://ar15france.com/brd/download/file.php?id=362

What is Marinized? Also how did you mod the magazine and how did you mod the selector switch?

HeavyDuty
11-09-09, 08:53
Price isn't everything - I decided to go the dedicated .22LR upper on a dedicated .22LR lower route using "normal" AR components. To be honest, the way things are going financially I suspect I'll be shooting it more than all my 5.56 ARs combined, so for me it's a good investment in a top-quality rimfire.

JulienBoit
11-09-09, 09:30
The stock was modified by drilling small holes in the locking tabs of the stock.
Like the original LMT stock.
The mag was cut to the proper length. I made a floorplate out of plastic. Drill and thread the mag body and put four screws on it.

For the selector, I made a notch inside the inner parts for the small ball that locks the lever in place. Then I took some material off the parts contacting the lever of the trigger.If you look at the exploded drawings of the carbine, this is part #73.
I also removed some materials off part #61 which is the plug that fits into selector on the right side of the receiver.

Ick
11-09-09, 09:37
You ought to discuss with someone making parts to modify Colt 22lrs to have the fire selector rotate properly. I would pay $50 for fully functional properly working fire selector.

Would pay for a FUNCTIONING bold release too....

JulienBoit
12-21-09, 03:58
Did anybody tried to perform a trigger job on their Umarex ?
I tried to soften all edges with a stone and put some trigger grease on the parts, but it doesn't soften it enough.
A friend tried to cut the spring but the final results are not convincing.

Paul45
12-21-09, 09:54
I have taken mine apart and considered trying to do something but choose not too. It is just a FUN gun - not a target gun. It's trigger pull is close to my PD AR. I just shoot it and smile!!!!! It's over 2 months old, has over 2500 rounds thru it. I love it! - I have not touched my PD AR or the tack driver or the 9mm. This is a fun gun - I shoot it every time I go to the range - about 2 x per week. Only malfunctions have been from DUD rounds.

rodent.22
01-12-10, 18:07
A few mods, Od and hollowed stock, Leaper illuminated reticle scope, engraved dustcover....

Paul45
01-12-10, 18:58
The COLT is now 3 months old and has over 5000 rounds thru it. I had my 1st Failure to Feed today. It looks like the bullet in the case was loose and got stuck going into the chamber. Cleared it and put 3 more mags thru it with no issues. This has been the only problem with the exception of a few DUD rounds of super cheap .22LR. I like it - I don't like no being able to easily clean the bolt but a little spray and some lube - then it's good to go. It really is a fun gun!

Boonie
08-27-10, 22:49
had mine for a bit now and no probs. i'll post some pics when i get a chance.

Paul45
08-28-10, 13:36
Mine is now 10 months old. It has produced nothing but smiles from everyone who has shot it. It has well over 10K rounds. It is still my favorite .22

Boonie
09-04-10, 15:43
Here's my M4 OPS.Magpul, MIAD and RVG grips,ACS stock, UTG tac light and green laser,Tasco red dot with a Sightmark magnifier.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/BYTEME1/m4ops.jpg

Boonie
09-04-10, 15:45
WT!!!!!!! i post and get a database error the i have 2 posts! oh well.