PDA

View Full Version : First Build Questions

Sean
06-28-06, 11:57
As I think I mentioned in my first post, I'm new to the AR15 world and will be doing my first build something in the near future.

I wanted to go ahead and get some questions out of the way while I'm still in the planning phase:

First and foremost, how much? How much should I look to spend to build the rifle itself working with just iron sights?

Who's upper, who's lower offer the best reliability and price?

And, the last one I have at this moment; where's the best place to get a fair price and quality customer service on most of the gear?

I snagged this picture from a member on AR15.com, this is not my rifle, nor my picture, I'm using it to demonstrate the look I want to achieve. Instead of Olive, I'd prefer Coyote or Black.
http://www.seancallan.com/242628_90_full.jpg

USMC and Wulf50guy have rifles I find appealing; I'm not attempting to copy any of these, but I felt this was the best way to express what my interest was so someone could help me better answer my questions.

MAUSER88
06-28-06, 13:27
I bought a Superior Arms stripped lower for $110.00 I put it together wih Bushmaster parts. Everything went together easily. Parts were appx. $60.00

I would buy a already completed upper. Lots of sources. Buy a copy of the Shotgun News and see what's available. I paid a bit more an used Adco Arms to build me an upper. It ran around $500.00. You can certainly find lower from company's like Model 1 Sales.

For accs. I use Bravo Company USA. He's a real nice guy who ships same day. He sells only good quality stuff.

Good luck with your build!!

DevilDog
06-28-06, 14:18
Buy once, cry once.

My first recommendation is do not buy a complete rifle. Get a lower, w/o a buttstock (since you'll probably replace it) or one that comes with the exact stock you want, or do as Mauser mentioned above.

For your upper, I highly recommend the dealers on this site. I've purchased parts from G&R Tactical and Bravo Company USA, and an LMT upper from JTAC supply that I am very happy with. I also recommend ADCO Firearms.

On your upper, if you don't get a free-float tube right away but might want to add one later, then I don't recommend a 14.5 with a perm FS to start. It won't make it impossible to free-float later, but it will make it harder, more expensive and/or limit your tube/rail choices.

Since it looks like you are looking at a carbine (vs a 20" barrel) kind of build, take a hard look at a 16" midlength-gas system barrel.

CapnCrunch
06-28-06, 14:42
The Bravo Company Manufacturing uppers are available at a great price and are super quality. The 16" middy (as DevilDog suggested) is a superb choice.

Grant at G&R, Paul at Bravo USA, Jason at JTAC Supply, and Denny from DennysGuns/GTS are all great guys to deal with, and can hook you up with whatever you need to get your rifle exactly as you want it.

If you're looking at a fixed rear sight, let me suggest that instead of the ubiquitous LMT as pictured above, you check out the LaRue. It's less money, lighter, and IMHO, a lot more suited for hard usage.

Sean
06-28-06, 15:02
Yeah I definitely wanted to buy parts and assemble it myself.

I was browsing the Bravo Company website this afternoon and the prices were definitely fair. I may see if I can't talk to one of those guys and have him point me in the right direction for parts.

Burrwood
06-28-06, 17:38
Yeah I definitely wanted to buy parts and assemble it myself.

I was browsing the Bravo Company website this afternoon and the prices were definitely fair. I may see if I can't talk to one of those guys and have him point me in the right direction for parts.
If you are looking at Bravo Co. - the man to talk to is Paul.

Good People & Good Company - as are most you find here.

M4arc
06-28-06, 20:58
I'll echo some of the other recommendations about using BCM uppers. IMO they are the best deal going right now, period.

As for lowers, I don't think it really matters as long as you use quality parts inside: CMT & RRA LPKs are my favorites.

I've used just about every brand of stripped lower receiver out there and I've had good luck with just about all of them. The Megas are some of my favorites, as are the Sun Devils. I also have several Bushmasters, some old SGW lowers, Eagle Arms, LMTs, Superiors and a "Keep Virginia Zombie Free" DPMS lower from Tom Sawyer.

Use the BCM bolt carrier groups and Stag or LMT buttstocks as well.

Invest in some quality tools (either from Bravo Company USA or ADCO) and a nice bench vice and get to building! Oh and don't forget the pictures ;)

jmart
06-28-06, 22:04
For those recommending BCM, those come without BCG's, correct? If so, what BCG do you recommend for them?

I see BCM carries both LMT and CMT, in both semi and FA versions. Is either preferred? Or would you recommend something like Colt BCG's from SAW? Anyone running the LW "Super Duper" whatever they call it?

DevilDog
06-28-06, 22:27
On bolt carriers, given the choice/option, I would recommed the M-16 carrier as that is how the system was originally designed and I don't think the semi-auto carrier was meant to solve any real problems. The M-16 carrier has more mass, the same idea that is behind using heavy buffers. If price weren't an object, I swap all my carriers for the M-16 carrier.

I'll also second CapnCrunch's suggestion on the LaRue rear buis. I have the LMT and its a good site and very well made, but after having it on my most used carbine for the last 4-5 years, I've learned I have no need for the elevation wheel. The next fixed/rear buis I get will be the LaRue.

jmart
06-28-06, 22:34
Roger that on the LaRue BUIS. It's very stout, very light weight, great mounting system, no edges or nuts to snag stuff on and the windage adjustment is recessed so it won't get accidentally knocked off of your zero setting. I'm really happy with mine, and like you say, the lack of an elevation wheel is not a real issue.

Be advised they now offer a same plane aperture option for some extra $$ if that option appeals to you.

TigerStripe
06-29-06, 14:16
Bravo (BCM) pre built uppers are among the best out there. JTAC and Adco build great uppers and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from any of these guys. I love the SunDevil lowers. BUIS are a very personal selection IMO, just be careful with YHM. Everyone above has given great advice. Listen to it and read more.

TS

Sean
06-29-06, 20:02
This may seem like a silly question, but to ensure I'm not missing a componet can someone list what is nessecary for a build?

I know I need a Lower, Lower Part's Kit, Match Trigger, Pre Built Upper, Free Float system, Stock, what am I missing?

jmart
06-29-06, 21:50
BCM comes well recommended. But you'll need to add a BCG and a charging handle. I'm assuming their BCG's are complete with extractors, ejectors, pins, springs, FPs, etc. Someone else chime in if this is wrong.

Other companies offerisng may come complete so be sure to check everything out.

Regarding the stock, you'll need the buffer tube/receiver extension, the castle nut, pins and detents, etc. Many kits though come complete with all the parts.

If you get a flat top, you ought to get a rear BUIS. Folder definitely if using an ACOG or conventional scope, either fixed or folder if using an unmagnified red dot. But if red dot is paired with a magnifier then you will need a folder as well.

can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

CapnCrunch
06-29-06, 22:07
Are you dead set on a match trigger? I haven't had a lot of success with any of them aside from the Accuracy Speaks, and I think I've tried them all aside from the Geiselle.

IMHO, just get a lower parts kit from CMT and shoot the heck out of it. It'll smooth out over time, and end up being pretty darn nice. It will also not cost a premium, or sacrifice any reliability.

As far as the rest of your list goes, that's pretty much it aside from a bolt and carrier, and a charging handle.

BTW, here's a BCM 14.5" (that just arrived today) on a SBR lower with some Schmidt and Bender goodness.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/capcocrunchopoint/IMG_1556.jpg

I pretty much removed it from the box, checked to make sure the packing material hadn't obstructed the bore or anything, stuck a filthy CMT bolt and carrier in it, and slapped it on my lower right after I got it. I installed a pair of ratty old M4 handguards, walked out the back door onto the range, and emptied the 7 loaded mags I had waiting. No lube, no cleaning, no nothing. Worked perfect, just as expected.

I'm a Colt KoolAid drinker, and I can honestly say that aside from a 6933 I plan on picking up in the future, I'll probably be using BCM barrels from now on. They're just that damn good.