PDA

View Full Version : is it normal for you brass to be REAL dirty?

Ring
06-06-09, 21:54
on the outside?

clean gun/chamber and within 3 to 5 shots the brass is dirty as hell, oily dirt..

ive had AR since 93, but never paid attention to the brass till now since im reloading so much and im used to bolt that only get a bit of soot at the neck

DrBaker
06-06-09, 23:01
Are you shooting suppressed?

Most of my shooting is suppressed and it's completely filthy. If you drop a half empty mag and look at the remaining rounds the brass looks like it went through a fire. The sad part is these are the ones that haven't been fired yet.

Ring
06-06-09, 23:08
no, no can on the AR... if i can find some brass i havent cleend yet, ill post pics

ckmark
06-06-09, 23:08
Shooting suppressed yes your brass is going to get really dirty. If your not then it shouldn't get too dirty. I'd take a picture of some brass for you from a suppressor and some from unsuppressed but I don't have my digital camera here with me.

MR.J
06-07-09, 00:00
on the outside?

clean gun/chamber and within 3 to 5 shots the brass is dirty as hell, oily dirt..

ive had AR since 93, but never paid attention to the brass till now since im reloading so much and im used to bolt that only get a bit of soot at the neck

Your fine .. no worry's.. you should see my brass.. its VERY oily on the outside.:D

Failure2Stop
06-07-09, 15:32
Make sure your chamber is clean and free of lubricant. This is pretty much the only place in the gun you do not want or need lubricant.

bill_d
06-07-09, 19:30
ring,
what are you using for lube?

fwiw, i picked up some LC 09 brass some Guardsmen were shooting out of their weapons i thought was unusually dirty. that had to be 855.

my brass was a bit oily but no signs of soot or oxidation in comparison.
that was privi 55 and 62 gr. my lube was slip ewl over superlube synthetic grease.

what ammo are you shooting?

Ring
06-07-09, 19:40
my varmit loads, 40gr vmax with 28gr 748, same load i use in my bolt gun...

if a start with a clean degreased chamber, the 1st 3 shots look fine, then its starts getting dirty...

its like it is blowing oil in the chamber as i shhot, my bolt not dripping in oil, in the summer i use STP oil treatment, thick, like moter honey. and only a few drops on contact points.

bill_d
06-07-09, 23:35
is this an m4 carbine length gas system?

from your description i would have to say the stp is becoming aerosolized and after a few shots has been introduced into the chamber during the feed cycle.

with the load you state, i can see that it might produce a bit of neck /shoulder carbon , that is a light bullet and a rather large charge. although that would seem normal to me. as it does to you in your bolt rifle.

the obvious things to try are a different lube, maybe a synthetic specifically designed to resist aerosolization
and/or a different load using a heavier projectile/quicker powder.

it depends on how unacceptable the fouling is to you.
i think we all see this to some degree.

markm
06-08-09, 13:40
748 burns a little dirtier, and 28 grains is a LOT OF 748 to burn.

A-Bear680
06-08-09, 14:10
Trying to connect the dots:

What kind of primers with that load?

Any crimp on the neck?

Brass all from the same brand and lot?