PDA

View Full Version : Ambi-Selectors

gogetal3
06-06-09, 22:26
For those of you that have ambi selectors, where did you obtain them, and what brand did you go with? Post a pic if ya can. As always thanks for your responses

RojasTKD
06-06-09, 23:37
I believe Stag and LMT make Ambi selectors.

a search for Stag Ambi selcector or LMT ambi selector should do the trick.

BOOSTjunkie
06-07-09, 00:26
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/GoldyFingers/P1010165.jpg

Blankwaffe
06-07-09, 01:57
Ive got lowers with DPMS,Armalite and LMT ambis.

I purchased them from:

DPMS=Midway USA
Armalite=Armalite factory direct or DSG Arms(Armalite factory direct is cheaper for some unknown reason)
LMT=G&R Tactical

Price points are all about the same,with the exception of DSG Arms.

SwatDawg15
06-07-09, 02:03
I have installed the stag, and LMT. LMT is all I use now.

SpaceGhost
06-07-09, 10:02
JP Rifles also makes 1

Sir James
06-07-09, 12:24
I have Stag and LMT on three of my rifles. The LMT's rubbed on the Houge grips that I run. They did wear themselves in after awhile. YMMV

Sir James...

kmrtnsn
06-07-09, 12:27
Boost, what is that around your magwell?

militarymoron
06-07-09, 12:31
does anyone know what company uses a rollmark with a 'C' enclosing an '8'? i have an ambi selector with that mark on the lever and it broke.

gogetal3
06-07-09, 14:39
Thanks for the great replys.. Everywhere I look they seem to be back ordered or outta stock. Just also wanted to be sure I wasn't going to buy a piece of crap. You know, what would pass for second rate. Also, will the auto fire ambi safety work in the semi auto?

militarymoron
06-07-09, 14:56
well, just don't buy one that has a rollmark of a 'C' with an '8' in it. it was thinner material than another one i compared it to.
an auto selector will work in a semi, but i wouldn't recommend it as it can rotate past the 'fire' detent. there's no reason to have an auto selector in a semi weapon.

gogetal3
06-07-09, 14:57
well, just don't buy one that has a rollmark of a 'C' with an '8' in it. it was thinner material than another one i compared it to.
an auto selector will work in a semi, but i wouldn't recommend it as it can rotate past the 'fire' detent. there's no reason to have an auto selector in a semi weapon.

agreed, however I seem to come across the auto ambi's and they are actually in stock, thanks again

Fire
06-07-09, 15:08
I got one from SOG ARMORY, they have both M16 and AR15 ambi safeties ;)

Fireglock
06-07-09, 15:10
agreed, however I seem to come across the auto ambi's and they are actually in stock, thanks again

You're not looking hard enough. Bravo Company, in stock

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Ambidextrous-Saftey-Selector-semi-p/selector%20saftey%20ambi%20-%20semi.htm

grimm
06-07-09, 15:32
Never used an ambi, which one will let you use the selector even if the other side breaks or gets lost or something?

Fireglock
06-07-09, 15:42
Never used an ambi, which one will let you use the selector even if the other side breaks or gets lost or something?

I have a DPMS and RRAs. Both will work without the right side lever. Unfortunately with the RRA there's a setscrew inside the receiver that holds the right side lever in place. I don't care for that, if the screw comes out it's bound for the trigger group, bad thing. I doubt I'll ever use it.

cop1211
06-07-09, 20:04
Rock River star ambi, straight from Rock River.

Russell92
06-07-09, 20:16
Anyone know where to find the LMT ambi selector in stock?

Thanks

gogetal3
06-07-09, 20:51
You're not looking hard enough. Bravo Company, in stock

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Ambidextrous-Saftey-Selector-semi-p/selector%20saftey%20ambi%20-%20semi.htm

And......you were 100% correct. I wasn't. But it's ordered now! Along with an extractor upgrade :D Thank ya.

dcmdon
06-07-09, 20:59
below is a pic of mine with an ambi selector.

Just a quick point. As a lefty, I put an ambi selector on my rifle right away. After getting to know the AR, I realized that it can be useful for even a right handed person.

Why. Well, its easiest to put an AR on safe with your trigger finger, and off safe with your thumb.

So for a rightie, engaging the safety is quicker and easier with a selector on the right hand side of the rifle.

On target, safety off, finger on trigger.
Off target, finger out of trigger guard, safety on.

Its just that simple.

I probably put my AR on and off safe more than any other gun I shoot.

Don
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QD4-yihotRQ/Sixq4K3T9II/AAAAAAAAAbo/Vz4X-gR5HX8/s1440/IMG_3836.JPG

BOOSTjunkie
06-07-09, 23:08
below is a pic of mine with an ambi selector.

Just a quick point. As a lefty, I put an ambi selector on my rifle right away. After getting to know the AR, I realized that it can be useful for even a right handed person.

Why. Well, its easiest to put an AR on safe with your trigger finger, and off safe with your thumb.

So for a rightie, engaging the safety is quicker and easier with a selector on the right hand side of the rifle.

On target, safety off, finger on trigger.
Off target, finger out of trigger guard, safety on.

Its just that simple.

I probably put my AR on and off safe more than any other gun I shoot.
Don
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_QD4-yihotRQ/Sixq4K3T9II/AAAAAAAAAbo/Vz4X-gR5HX8/s1440/IMG_3836.JPG

watching magpul art of the tactical carbine ive noticed chris costa does the same thing

Frens
06-08-09, 02:43
^^^

I saw Costa too and decided to give it a try.
engaging the safety with the trigger finger is a good way to keep the trigger off the trigger :p

dcmdon
06-08-09, 07:14
who is costa?

militarymoron
06-08-09, 09:04
^^^
engaging the safety with the trigger finger is a good way to keep the trigger off the trigger :p
that's what us lefties have had to do all along with the stock safety.
another thing with an ambi safety is that if for some reason the lever breaks off, you've got the other side. with the standard safety, if the lever breaks off, there's no back up.

lanceriley
06-08-09, 10:36
who is costa?

the guy in the magpul dynamics vid. he's the guy with the beard.

if you haven't seen it.. quick! get one!

esskay
06-08-09, 14:12
I have a CMMG ambi safety. Works well but the Colt selector that it replaced had more positive engagement and a nicer feel.

Would add that I used blue loctite on the screw but it worked itself loose after 2k rounds or so. Just re-did it. Keep an eye on that screw!

btw, the CMMG is similar to the one pictured earlier. If you do lose the screw and the right lever falls off, it still will function exactly like a stock selector.

gogetal3
06-08-09, 15:57
I'm no lefty, however I do believe in: Mirror image. What you train to do with the right, train to do with the left. For those of you who don't train left side. Just imagine SHTF and your right hand is injured. Now you'll have to go left. Also shoot around barricades from the left side! If you go right handed from the left you expose more of yourself to incoming fire. Transition to left and your concealed much better. I see people doing this all the time in IDPA, ISPC, and the tactical 3 gun matches held here in FL. Unless its specified to transition people always shoot right handed regardless of side of barricade engaging from. It's so rediculous to watch. Transition, practice taking lefty shots! You will become proficient and be that much better! Anyhoo thats my purpose for an ambi selector. So my hand doesn't have to make a funky shape to engage and disengage the safety

grimm
06-08-09, 16:02
I have a CMMG ambi safety. Works well but the Colt selector that it replaced had more positive engagement and a nicer feel.

Would add that I used blue loctite on the screw but it worked itself loose after 2k rounds or so. Just re-did it. Keep an eye on that screw!

btw, the CMMG is similar to the one pictured earlier. If you do lose the screw and the right lever falls off, it still will function exactly like a stock selector.

So, from what I'm reading the DPMS and CMMG will work even if the other side breaks or falls off. The RRA has a set screw (very unfavorable imho). How about the LMT?

dcmdon
06-08-09, 16:38
gogeta,
Thats an interesting point. I've been shooting idpa and it took me a while to maintain good cover shooting out the weak hand side of cover.

I got reasonably proficient at it, but like you pointed out, I was still more exposed than I had been if I had switched hands.

I don't know how advisable that would be because you expose yourself to dropping the handgun. Either way, its an interesting point.

Don

p.s. if you want to see laughable use of cover, forget about IDPA, go to an IPSC match. Cover . . we don't need no stinking cover. Just stand in the middle of the door and hose.

p.p.s. I was properly schooled in the proper use of cover the first time I played paintball with a bunch of my friends highschool aged kids. I thought I was making good use of cover then BAM off the top of my head. I thought I was crouching low enough. It sent quite a message to me. Specifically that these competitive games encourage sloppy and potentially deadly (if thats all you practice with) use of cover.

Another bad habbit that IDPA/IPSC encourages is crowding the cover. You are actually better covered if you hang several feed behind the cover. (like a hockey goalie moving out of the net to get a better angle on any potential shot. Except in that case, HE is the cover and the net is the person.

gogetal3
06-08-09, 17:39
gogeta,
Thats an interesting point. I've been shooting idpa and it took me a while to maintain good cover shooting out the weak hand side of cover.

I got reasonably proficient at it, but like you pointed out, I was still more exposed than I had been if I had switched hands.

I don't know how advisable that would be because you expose yourself to dropping the handgun. Either way, its an interesting point.

Don

p.s. if you want to see laughable use of cover, forget about IDPA, go to an IPSC match. Cover . . we don't need no stinking cover. Just stand in the middle of the door and hose.

p.p.s. I was properly schooled in the proper use of cover the first time I played paintball with a bunch of my friends highschool aged kids. I thought I was making good use of cover then BAM off the top of my head. I thought I was crouching low enough. It sent quite a message to me. Specifically that these competitive games encourage sloppy and potentially deadly (if thats all you practice with) use of cover.

Another bad habbit that IDPA/IPSC encourages is crowding the cover. You are actually better covered if you hang several feed behind the cover. (like a hockey goalie moving out of the net to get a better angle on any potential shot. Except in that case, HE is the cover and the net is the person.

True about IDPA and IPSC. They tend to promote bad form and posture. I can only compete against myself, and stay as tacticool and realistic as I can. Lord knows i'd be dead in a real fight more often than not. My goal is to make it more often that I wouldn't :D. :D. This past Sunday during an IDPA match on the 2nd to the last stage, the jack ass SO called 2 procedurals on me: 1. reloading with a round in the chamber! Even though my mag was empty :2. Not engaging in tactical sequence! WTF. Scenerio was of a family hostage situation. I engaged two head shots on 1st target I deemed necessary to destroy then the other. Pissed me off. But hey whatever, they promote real life scenerios right? Just with unrealistic rules surrounding them.
As for left side shooting. I attended a Bushido tactical carbine class, handgun class, and this coming August a Shotgun class, and coming up a lvl 2 carbine course. Wade Rorich the instructor has the golden rule: Whatcha do on your right you do on the left, there is no weak side. Great concept, and we applied it. The class consisted of a few Millitary and few civilians. We found ourselves shooting 50yds out by the end of the second day nailing steel no prob left handed. From then on I engage left handed any chance I can from cover or even for the hell of it. Same deal with Pistol class. I practice with my shotty now on the left in anticipation for the upcoming class. This may seem like a cheap plug in, but it's not. I hadn't attended any classes until this one and it was worth every cent. Wade's a great dude. If anyone is interested he gets around, mainly FL. though, check out his site Bushidotactical.com

Every competition I shoot support side. Can't get better if you don't!

Fireglock
06-08-09, 22:46
So, from what I'm reading the DPMS and CMMG will work even if the other side breaks or falls off. The RRA has a set screw (very unfavorable imho). How about the LMT?

Don't have one but there was a thread here a week or two ago about gritty feeling LMT ambi-safetys.

aedavis
06-11-09, 23:03
I bought an ambidextrous safety lever for my Colt HBAR from Bushmaster back in the mid 1990s. It has worked fine - I've never had any issue with it. I think it was $30 or so.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/allanedavis/ambisafetypic.jpg

dcmdon
06-12-09, 00:42
When I installed my ambi safeties they were both pretty gritty feeling.

They are DPMS. One of my lowers has a timney trigger another has standard LPK parts.

I removed the selectors and cleaned them up with some scotch brite. I mainly just knocked the oxide coating off. They were much smoother after that. I also installed them with some nice grease.

One observation, their detent is not as positive as the ones I removed. (stag LPK selectors)

Don

gogetal3
06-12-09, 20:36
Just like to give BravoCompanyUSA some credit for fast shipping of my ambi selector, which will be installed tonight. Pics to come later, and BCM extractor upgrade kit. But I thought the extractor spring was suppose to have 5 coils, as you can see clearly in the catalog pic behind the spring.

Blankwaffe
06-12-09, 21:17
Just like to give BravoCompanyUSA some credit for fast shipping of my ambi selector, which will be installed tonight. Pics to come later, and BCM extractor upgrade kit. But I thought the extractor spring was suppose to have 5 coils, as you can see clearly in the catalog pic behind the spring.

See post #31 in the link below.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14310&page=2&highlight=extractor+spring

gogetal3
06-12-09, 22:58
See post #31 in the link below.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=14310&page=2&highlight=extractor+spring

Thank you

NCPatrolAR
06-12-09, 23:18

I would say that is more of a matter of personal preference. I'm perfectly content with moving the selector switch with my thumb and leaving my index finger the sole task of pressing the trigger. :)

gogetal3
06-12-09, 23:24

There it is, total install time......5 min tops.

Bread is People
06-14-09, 10:52
Great info. Have you shot with it yet?

gogetal3
06-14-09, 11:05
Great info. Have you shot with it yet?

Not yet. Saturday is my tactical 3 gun match, and I'll have ample time to get used to it with the way we set the stages up. I have been dry firing, and practicing. A definate change in feel, will take some getting used to.

dcmdon
06-14-09, 13:00
An ambi selector for a right handed person is more of a benefit in real life or in a carbine class, where you are engaging/disengaging the selector continuously.

for a righty, the ability to engage the safety with your trigger finger much improves things.

In contrast, in a match, you generally stay off safe the entire time. So no big deal.

If you are talking about a lefty, well then its even more of an advantage in a carbine class and still less of an issue in a match.

Don

Robb Jensen
06-14-09, 15:19
I only recommend them for people who have trouble activating the normal safety when shooting left handed. When shooting left handed I use activate and deactive the selector using my left hand trigger fingers knuckle. It's really not hard to do.

On my own guns I dislike an ambi because the right side hits my hand and sometimes doesn't positively get to 'fire' or 'semi'.

gogetal3
06-14-09, 15:19
Safety on whenever moving in match or carbine classes. It's a rule for the range during the matches.

Fireglock
06-14-09, 16:23
I only recommend them for people who have trouble activating the normal safety when shooting left handed. When shooting left handed I use activate and deactive the selector using my left hand trigger fingers knuckle. It's really not hard to do.

On my own guns I dislike an ambi because the right side hits my hand and sometimes doesn't positively get to 'fire' or 'semi'.

It's like using a C-more sight, when you first try it never comes up right. But when you spend a hour or hour and a half just setting the sight where it needs to be it becomes muscle memory and it's right there every time. Same with the ambi-safety, I worked it a couple of nights and it works right handed or left with no problems. What surprised me was while at first I felt it with my trigger finger, at the range I never noticed it the first time. Now if I don't think about it I don't notice it at all.

I do use my thumb to deactivate the safety but use the method you mention to set it, works very easy and provides the least movement of my primary hand.