PDA

View Full Version : Burris XTS-135

last bastian
06-07-09, 08:05
I'm putting together my first AR. I'm going to be looking for a red dot sight for some tactical run and gun fun with friends and family. I think Aimpoints are really cool but my budget tops out around $250. For what I'm going to be doing Aimpoints may be too good anyway. I'm not on a SWAT team. Does anyone think that I can get something in this price range that will be totally fine for what I'm looking to do? If so, what are some of them? Does anyone know about the Burris XTS-135?

Mr.Goodtimes
06-07-09, 09:23
will this gun just be a range plinker or will it be used as an HD weapon as well? you get what you pay for with optics. if its a 250 dollar optic, theres a reason for that. i would strongly suggest getting a new or used aimpoint or eotech over an XTS 135.

last bastian
06-07-09, 09:55
will this gun just be a range plinker or will it be used as an HD weapon as well? you get what you pay for with optics. if its a 250 dollar optic, theres a reason for that. i would strongly suggest getting a new or used aimpoint or eotech over an XTS 135.

Hopefully all it will ever be used for is tactical run and gun stuff w/friends at the range, but if the situation ever called for the gun to be used for a HD or WROL situation, I would definately want it to be up to the task. I guess here and other forums would be the place to find a used Ampoint?

spartan_117
06-08-09, 02:52
I've got a burris xts-135 on my Stag. I was a bit hesitant at first, get what you pay for and all. I usually shoot at IPSC/USPSA rifle side matches in my area and am quite pleased with my purchase. I've been using it almost a year, and it has held up well with my ruff use, and has maintained its zero. My only gripe is battery life, don't forget to turn it off. I would say a week continuous on is all you'll get. I do admit that I intend to upgrade in the future to an aimpoint, but am defiantly going to keep the burris...

If you need it now, get it, but if you can wait till you save up your cash up, just get an aimpoint. But, either way, your good to go.

maximus83
06-08-09, 03:19
If this is a rifle that you will rely on, I would suggest just getting a good pair of iron sights and a weapon mounted light, perhaps getting your front sight with a tritium dot for night use, and train with those. Save your pennies until you can get a used or new Aimpoint, as suggested above.

last bastian
06-08-09, 12:33
Yeah, I guess I will save up the change and get an aimpoint. I guess I have a bit of time to save since I just ordered my upper. Thanks for the input.

BOSS
06-10-09, 10:28
I recently faced a similar decision on optics that you are currently going through. I looked at the Burris, Vortex, and other more wallet friendly brands. Tho I don't consider $250 chump change. FWIW, you can probably get it cheaper than that. I know of one site listing them at $219. And Burris makes good stuff.

I came within a hairs breath of going with the Burris XTS-135. I think for the budget minded, it is worth looking at. If it's a range/fun gun, it ought to be just fine. With their AR Tripler for another $175 you'd have a pretty good setup for about 1/3 of what you'd spend for Aimpoints similar setup.

I am actually quite interested in hearing more about Burris' new AR332 sight. If it can be compatible with a standard post front sight, that may be my next purchase for an AR optic. I can't afford a $900+ ACOG.

But back on track--I went with the aimpoint for a couple of main reasons.
#1 Quality/durability. You can never have too much of either.
#2 Warranty--Aimpoint's 10 yr vs. Burris 1 yr.
#3 Value--later down the road you'll still be able to get decent coin for an Aimpoint in good condition if you ever decide to change/upgrade. The Burris, probably not so much.
#4 Accessories/Compatibility- EVERYBODY makes Aimpoint gear- LaRue, GG&G, Arms, etc. With Burris, your options will be more limited.

So long story short, if you can save up/wait, the Aimpoint is probably the better choice. With a little shopping around you can get a new ML2 for around $370. That would be money well spent and you wouldn't have to always say, man for another $150 I coulda had an Aimpoint.:D

BOSS

last bastian
06-10-09, 16:50
Those are some really good points, Boss. I didn't even think of the resale value. But, yeah, the quality, toughness and warranty of aimpoint make it hard not to go with. Plus, i'll have the gun forever so I might as well put what we know for sure will last on it. I appreciate your thoughts. It helps when people that have been down the road help out. Yeah, I want to check out the new burris sight as well. I just saw it on a magazine last night.

aedavis
06-12-09, 00:15
I had a Burris XTS-135 for about 2 years and had no problems with it. I sold it after I got a good deal on an Aimpoint M2, but I kind of wish I had kept it to put on another rifle.

It was a good sight and did everything it was supposed to. It probably wasn't as rugged as an Aimpoint, but it worked. I'd buy another for a range rifle.