PDA

View Full Version : My first M4, need help on upgrades...

xfive
06-07-09, 22:35
I got a used Colt M4 Commando from a LEO friend, w/c has 2k rds fired and well taken cared of. What should I consider checking/replacing for usual wear and tear issues? This is just for HD and range use, so I don't want to souped it out that much, what should I consider for an upgrades? What I had in mind and pls critique it are, DD 9.0 Omega rail, Troy w/tritium sights, Magpul PMAG's. Thanks!:)

SWATcop556
06-07-09, 22:47
A little background on your experience with the AR platform might help with suggestions here.

I would start with a quality sling (I recommend the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling) and a quality white light (a Surefire G2 LED in a VTAC mount).

I would stock up on some Pmags and ammo. Then I would get into a training class and learn to fight with the carbine. There is a huge difference in shooting from a bench and fighting with a rifle.

If you have the cash I would grab an Aimpoint T1/ H1 for optics but its not necessary to get started. Iron sights have been killing folks for decades.

After that you should have a pretty good idea as to what will work for you and know what upgrades you need to make. Also pics of your new rifle will be necessary and placed in the AR picture thread!! :cool:

CC556
06-07-09, 23:24
As mentioned, a carbine class is a great investment. Also, as mentioned a sling and a good light are probably the two best upgrades you can do to a fighting rifle. Up until about 6 months ago I was really set on the iron sights thing, and I can shoot pretty well with them. I brought my rifle out to an IDPA match and played around on one of the stages after the match. When engaging multiple targets and trying to make rapid transitions I really began to see why people use electronic sights. I have an Aimpoint on my rifle now, and after taking a few carbine classes and shooting weekly rifle matches I fully understand why people use electronic sights. I don't mean to imply irons aren't worthwhile, they are, and it's important to know how to shoot with them, but for work at normal carbine ranges an electronic sight is a real benefit.

scottryan
06-07-09, 23:42
I got a used Colt M4 Commando from a LEO friend, w/c has 2k rds fired and well taken cared of. What should I consider checking/replacing for usual wear and tear issues? This is just for HD and range use, so I don't want to souped it out that much, what should I consider for an upgrades? What I had in mind and pls critique it are, DD 9.0 Omega rail, Troy w/tritium sights, Magpul PMAG's. Thanks!:)

I don't know how you are going to put a 9.0 drop in rail on a Colt because they do not make a mid length gun. You need a 7.0 rail.

I would also forget the tritium sights for now.

It is good you don't want it to accessories it too much.

I would just get a quality BUIS, light, sling, and optic to start. You do not need a railed handguard right away or an after market stock.

bkb0000
06-08-09, 00:17
I don't know how you are going to put a 9.0 drop in rail on a Colt because they do not make a mid length gun. You need a 7.0 rail.

the omega isn't any more limited than any other FF rail. chop the FSB or low-pro gas block... not too hard, man.

SwatDawg15
06-08-09, 01:30
A little background on your experience with the AR platform might help with suggestions here.

I would start with a quality sling (I recommend the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling) and a quality white light (a Surefire G2 LED in a VTAC mount).

I would stock up on some Pmags and ammo. Then I would get into a training class and learn to fight with the carbine. There is a huge difference in shooting from a bench and fighting with a rifle.

If you have the cash I would grab an Aimpoint T1/ H1 for optics but its not necessary to get started. Iron sights have been killing folks for decades.

After that you should have a pretty good idea as to what will work for you and know what upgrades you need to make. Also pics of your new rifle will be necessary and placed in the AR picture thread!! :cool:

There ya go..

rob_s
06-08-09, 05:54
the omega isn't any more limited than any other FF rail. chop the FSB or low-pro gas block... not too hard, man.

while the Omega will fit over a chopped FSB, it requires a very aggressive chop.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/DD-Dimensions.gif

rob_s
06-08-09, 06:08
To the original question...

If the rifle is used, regardless of what the original owner says in terms of round count, I would probably check and/or replace the extractor, spring, and extractor buffer. I would also check the action spring inside the receiver extension and perhaps change it. I would do this more so that I could start my maintenance schedule at a known zero than because I think these parts are necessarily worn out already.

As far as upgrades, and depending on how limited you are by budget, I'd be inclined to take the $500 in widgets, spend $50 on a sling and $450 on a class. If your budget is unlimited then I'd buy the sling plus an Aimpoint and a Surefire and STILL take the class.

Taking a class with nothing but irons will be a very good learning experience. In fact, I'm planning on doing a class with just irons this December.

If you spend some time reading through this site you'll find that the same themes as are being posted here show up over and over again in response to questions like this. The priorities should be:

mags and ammo
sling
training
more ammo
practice
more ammo
practice

THEN widgets and gizmos

FWIW, a lot of people will tell you to get a white light right off the bat. I disagree with this to some extent. A light presumes that you're going to be using the carbine defensively which is something I wouldn't do until I have some training. Many introductory classes won't get into low-light techniques at all, which is fine as marksmanship and manipulations are where the focus needs to be in the beginning. The same lessons on trigger control and sight picture and follow through apply to the fundamentals with the carbine just like they do with the handgun. After you get some training and learn the fundamentals, then you can add a light and go get some training that includes low-light TTPs.

scottryan
06-08-09, 10:34

That is not what an Omega is designed for.

sgtrock82
06-08-09, 15:03
From a maintenance standpoint I would also check the gas rings on the bolt. Actually, if it was me I would just replace them, along with the other springs and the extractor buffer, and start with a clean slate. The springs are pretty cheap, and you should at the least have a set or 2 on hand anyway.

rob_s
06-08-09, 15:18
Good source for springs
Sprinco (http://sprinco.com/tactical.html)
BCM SOPMOD kit (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM+Bolt+Upgrade+Kit&CartID=2)
BCM Extractor Spring Upgrade (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM+Extractor+Spring++3Pack&CartID=1)

Safetyhit
06-08-09, 16:47
To the original question...

If the rifle is used, regardless of what the original owner says in terms of round count, I would probably check and/or replace the extractor, spring, and extractor buffer. I would also check the action spring inside the receiver extension and perhaps change it. I would do this more so that I could start my maintenance schedule at a known zero than because I think these parts are necessarily worn out already.

This was the only answer you need. The rest is a matter of preference.

RojasTKD
06-08-09, 18:01
Think long and hard about what you actually need.

My 6920 now weighs in at exactly 10 lbs. Building a few AR as we speak and my next three will likely not have quad rails. I plan to add a couple of rails to the standard handguards for a light, VFG stubby and maybe a sling attachment.

All you really need is:
BUIS
Optic
Sling

May desire:
VFG (My hand a wrist need it)
Weapons Light
Sling attachment point

xfive
06-09-09, 07:15
I'm planning to take off the FSB to have a 10.0 rail on it and put a Noveske KX3 and a Troy folding front sight, to have a cut end look, can it be done? And what's a good gas block for it? I was opting for the VLTOR gas block...:)

rob_s
06-09-09, 08:01
I'm planning to take off the FSB to have a 10.0 rail on it and put a Noveske KX3 and a Troy folding front sight, to have a cut end look, can it be done? And what's a good gas block for it? I was opting for the VLTOR gas block...:)

I can't help but wonder if you read the posts in this thread or not.

Are you just wanting to make it look cool or are you looking for a functional rifle that you know how to use? What other ARs do you own? What is your training background.