PDA

View Full Version : 5 U.S. citizens held for Contractors death

parishioner
06-08-09, 01:39
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525325,00.html

:confused: This is puzzling. This apparently happened last month.

The FBI has joined forces with Iraqi authorities in their investigation into the killing of an American contractor last month in Baghdad's Green Zone, FOX News confirms.

Iraqi forces detained five U.S. private security contractors in connection with the murder of colleague James Kitterman, 60, whose body was found May 22 in his car in the Green Zone. He had been blindfolded, bound and stabbed.

The five men — who have not been formally charged yet — could become the first Americans to face local justice since a bilateral security pact that came into force in January made U.S. contractors subject to Iraqi law.

"Embassy consular officials have visited the five and ensured they are being afforded their rights under Iraqi law. The men appeared well," a U.S. spokesman said Sunday.

The five contractors were detained early Friday morning when Iraqi authorities raided the contracting company's compound, Maj. Gen. Hussein Kamal, Deputy Minister of Interior, told FOX News.

Kamal, who declined to release the names of the detainees, said Iraqi forces also uncovered unregistered weapons and drugs during their raid of the compound.

An FBI official told FOX News on Sunday that the bureau is assisting with evidence collection and other investigative procedures. Iraqi forces asked the FBI for help, the official said.

An official of Corporate Training Unlimited, a Fayetteville, N.C.-based security company, told Associated Press that the five included Donald Feeney Jr., 55, who founded the company in 1986, his son Donald Feeney III, 31, and three other employees.

"I think everybody is devastated by the loss, including the Feeneys. And they're cooperating fully with the investigation," company spokeswoman Sarah Smith said. "They've not been charged with anything. And we suspect that they won't be charged with anything."

She said the CTU contractors knew Kitterman as "simply comrades living in the Green Zone."

"They ate meals together and just knew each other, I guess, being around one another. I think there was a mutual respect for one another and I know for a fact that the Feeneys are really devastated by his loss. The day he was murdered, I got a call saying how upset everyone was," she said.

Kitterman ran a small construction company based in the Green Zone and had worked in Iraq for about six years.

Iraq assumed control of the Green Zone on Jan. 1 under a U.S.-Iraqi security agreement, taking primary responsibility from the Americans for searching vehicles and checking identity papers as entry checkpoints.

Kitterman was believed to be the first American ever assassinated there since the protected area was established after the city fell to U.S. forces in April 2003.

Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani, who supervises Iraqi police, said it appeared that Kitterman was killed because of an undisclosed "financial situation."

Iraqgunz
06-08-09, 02:09
Yes it happened last month, about 2 weeks or so ago. I know some of the players involved here and I am not entirely sure that the Iraqis got it right. Unfortuantely the Iraqi legal system is jacked up and these guys are in the middle of it. I would be very hesitant to believe anything that the media says about this case.

Safetyhit
06-08-09, 07:47
Yes it happened last month, about 2 weeks or so ago. I know some of the players involved here and I am not entirely sure that the Iraqis got it right. Unfortuantely the Iraqi legal system is jacked up and these guys are in the middle of it. I would be very hesitant to believe anything that the media says about this case.

I know I will personally not rush to judgment all things considered.

Was there any type of contractor "exodus" after control was turned over to the Iraqi's? I would think working under their government would be intimidating and even dissuading.

parishioner
06-08-09, 11:18
I would be very hesitant to believe anything that the media says about this case.

No question. As soon as I read it I knew something sounded off. Its a shame the media mostly portrays contractors in a negative light.

kal
06-08-09, 15:03
So let me get this straight....

This American contractor was killed by......other Americans in Iraq?

wtf?

Iraqgunz
06-08-09, 16:11
Who said that? The Iraqis arrested these men and nothing more. Yes, they are receiving assistance from the FBI and the Iraqis can tell them to pound sand at anytime. Under Iraqi law not only can suspects be arrested, but so too can witnesses. They can essentially hold you until they think that don't need you.

At this point there is a lot of speculation and media fags writing stories about shit that they know nothing about. As for their alleged guilt, or innocence I'll wait until all the facts are in.

So let me get this straight....

This American contractor was killed by......other Americans in Iraq?

wtf?

kal
06-08-09, 18:51
Who said that?

Well the story says 5 americans are arrested pending an investigation of an American that was found in a trunk dead, bound and stabbed.

I thought it seemed to be a simple case, but it isn't. Nor did i understand how the Iraqi justice system works.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-08-09, 18:52
Maybe the title:

5 U.S. citizens held for Contractors death

Should be:

5 U.S. citizens held in Contractors death

Iraqgunz
06-10-09, 10:28
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...an-contractor/

EXCLUSIVE: Iraqi judge releases American contractors

Three Americans arrested in connection with the killing of a contractor in Baghdad's Green Zone are being released Wednesday, said their attorney Timothy M. Haake.

The men are Donald Feeney Jr., 55; son Donald "Buddy" Feeney III, 31; and an employee of the Feeneys' Corporate Training Unlimited security firm.

Two other men are being held but also are expected to be be released.
Mr. Haake said no charges have been or were filed against any of the five.
"Hopefully, they will be out in four days as well," said Mr. Haake, a retired special forces general.

The men were arrested June 10 by Iraqi security forces following a joint investigation with U.S. officials. The forces raided the home in which the men were staying, reportedly to find the killer, and arrested the five Americans on weapons violations.

"We really don't know why they were arrested yet," Mr. Haake said.
Had the case proceeded, it would have been the first under a 2008 agreement in which U.S. contractors would be subject to criminal law in Iraq.

Mr. Haake said the process worked well, the Americans were treated fairly and are eager to return to work in Baghdad.

The contractor has been identified as Jim Kitterman, 60, of Houston. He was found dead May 22 inside the Green Zone with his throat cut and multiple stab wounds to his body.

A source says Mr. Kitterman was last seen alive arguing with a security guard because he wanted to leave a secured compound. He eventually was allowed to leave, then later found dead.

bkb0000
06-10-09, 13:37
arrested on weapons violations? i guess i was under the impression iraq has basically no gun laws

jtb0311
06-10-09, 16:26
Does anyone know if the elder Donald Feeney is the same fellow Haney wrote about in his book?

Iraqgunz
06-10-09, 16:49
I've not read Haneys' garbage, but Don is a former Delta guy. ;)

Does anyone know if the elder Donald Feeney is the same fellow Haney wrote about in his book?

Iraqgunz
06-10-09, 16:58
"Au contraire, mofraire"! Iraq does indeed have weapons laws ( I am sure that our stupid asses assisted in revamping it) plus foreigners are held to a higher standard. All security companies are supposed to have weapons cards and be registered with the MOI, etc..etc.. but the MOI is so corrupt and dicked up they still can't implement the system to have them.

arrested on weapons violations? i guess i was under the impression iraq has basically no gun laws

jtb0311
06-10-09, 22:59
I've not read Haneys' garbage, but Don is a former Delta guy. ;)

Thanks, the name just caught my attention.