PDA

View Full Version : rank lower part kits

Icculus
06-08-09, 02:50
Hi guys. A buddy of mine is building an ar. Knowing I've been doing a lot of reading on here he asked me about lpk's and what I might suggest. I took the couple he mentioned, added a couple of others and came up the ranking below. Do you guys agree with this or am I way off base and should call him back? Oh, and I'm pretty sure we're talking single stage trigger here. From best to worst:

LMT/G&R
Stag
DMPS
Rock River
Armalite

Thanks

EDIT: Oh and I apologize if this is a repost. What's with the search?? Always just turns up a blank page for me.

GaryXD
06-08-09, 07:25
Oh gosh. I have to take out all my RRA kits and put in DPMS now.

DRich
06-08-09, 08:45
I'd put DPMS at the bottom of that list for a variety of reasons.

markm
06-08-09, 08:47
It's really impossible to make this ranking. LPKs vary too much. An LPK from STAG today, for example, isn't the same STAG kit that you bought a year ago.

spamsammich
06-08-09, 08:53
My sample size for RRA LPKs is only 3. Two had triggers that were crisp, with very little creep and not too heavy. One had a gritty trigger with a relatively large amount of creep. Other than that, I found the kits to be nice to install with nicely parkerized roll pins that you didn't have to beat the bejeezus out of to drive them home (like the 2 DPMS kits I've used).

I now hold out for Colt, LMT or G&R kits. Stag kits are starting to look pretty interesting too given that LPKs are just about unobtanium these days.

C4IGrant
06-08-09, 08:56
It's really impossible to make this ranking. LPKs vary too much. An LPK from STAG today, for example, isn't the same STAG kit that you bought a year ago.

Correct.

C4

Icculus
06-08-09, 11:16
Oh gosh. I have to take out all my RRA kits and put in DPMS now.
You're right you should. Since I said Rock River sucks, this IS THE official ranking and you should carve it in your forearm with a sharp knife:rolleyes: I'm a noob man and asked for peoples opinions. Obviously you think RRA shoud be above DPMS in the list above. Is there something you like better about it or were the RRA kits simply more available for you at the time or in your location.?

I do understand what you and Grant are saying as a manufacturer's quality is not always constant. That being said, if you had to buy a new lpk for a build today (and didn't already have one laying around), in you're buying process I'm guessing based on you're previous experience, etc. you would rank them somehow in your head (even if you did it quickly or subconsciously). I guess i was going for that and your reasoning. I'm also assuming we're not talking about new old stock (with all the panic buying, there probably aren't many lpk's from several years ago just sitting on the shelves). Thanks guys.

CounTeR
06-08-09, 11:56
Colt.

sgtrock82
06-08-09, 15:11
Colt.

Colt? Does colt make an LPK than you can use on the average lower or does it come with the goofy large diameter FCG pins(though now apparently defunct) and the silly screw set up instead of a normal take down pin for the front?

DRich
06-08-09, 15:20
Colt? Does colt make an LPK than you can use on the average lower or does it come with the goofy large diameter FCG pins(though now apparently defunct) and the silly screw set up instead of a normal take down pin for the front?

You can get Colt LPK's with the standard sized FCG pins from the usual Colt suppliers (when available) and they haven't used the oversize takedown pins for well over a decade.

Blankwaffe
06-08-09, 17:00
The problem Ive had mostly with LPK's from the various "lower tier" folks has been the springs and pins.Those parts must be imported...IMHO its just not worth the effort anymore.
I ordered a DPMS LPK a couple months ago and did not like the looks of it at all,so I sent it back.Ive had excellent luck with the older Armalite LPK's that used the standard trigger but thier springs and pins are extremely questionable as of late.
I also have absolutely no use for any of the tactical two stage crap alot of the manufacturers are ad copying on.
My sister gave me one of the G&R Tactical LPK's for christmas last year and it is quality.I wish Grant would do some more.
Otherwise if I need another LPK I will just have to hunt the parts down from LMT or Colt.Hopefully Paul at BCM will come out with a LPK that he is willing to put his name on.

Other parts Ive had disgusting experience with from the corner cutting ham fisted blind monkeys recently are:
Buffer springs that take a huge set almost immediately.Falls below the -23 recommended minimum length.
Extractor springs that go flat and inserts made of plastic that turns to dust in short order,or are so hard they cause the extractor to bind until they turn to dust.
Gas rings that wear out in less than 500 rounds.
Undersized gas tubes(gas key end).
Soft gas keys with exceptionally rough bores.
YFS gas key screws that are brittle and undersized.
MIM extractors.
Cheap,thin charging handles.
FPRP that are oversized and will not fit in the BC.Have no idea what they fit but they dont belong in an AR.
Firing pins that are out of spec in diameter and in protrusion.
Cheap ars thin plastic handguards that defrom,creak,pop that if handled roughly the heat shields pop loose in.

I spent more money on return shipping of parts Ive ordered than what the parts were worth in the end.Needless to say I "aint buyin no more crap" from these folks.

I could go on but I see no use as Im preaching to the choir.
But it has got to the point with my upgrades for instance,that I call my remaining Armalite rifles/ upper assemblies LarMaliTes.
I guess Ive slowly become part of the "snobbery" here,because if its not BCM,LMT or Colt I aint buyin it anymore.

RojasTKD
06-08-09, 17:50
Well, I have in the last couple of months built lowers using DPMS LPKs. They all went in and seem to function fine thus far. DPMS is not my first choice, but it was the only kits I could actually get my hands on at the time. I have had a Stag LPK on order for about 3 months now (still waiting) and a White Oak Armament LPK on order for about a month (maybe a month and a half).

I was a little concerned about using DPMS LPKs, but have not seen the out of spec or missing parts that have been claimed.

sgtrock82
06-08-09, 23:31
You can get Colt LPK's with the standard sized FCG pins from the usual Colt suppliers (when available) and they haven't used the oversize takedown pins for well over a decade.

Good to know, thanks for setting me strait.

MachinegunT
06-09-09, 00:47
Where can you buy LMT LPK's?

Icculus
06-09-09, 00:47
Thanks everyone. My ultimate advice to him was wait for a lmt or g&r but we'll see what he does. I just wanted to make sure the information I was passing along was legit.

bkb0000
06-09-09, 00:51
Where can you buy LMT LPK's?

from somebody with an LMT lower receiver, now... they quit sellin 'em. gayness.

exkc135driver
06-09-09, 01:06
You might want to add M1S and M&A LPKs to your list. Exactly where you put them on the list is up to you. :D

MachinegunT
06-09-09, 01:40
Anyone know a date for when the Bravo Company LPK's will be for sale?

grimm
06-09-09, 17:16
It looks like Bravo is concentrating its efforts on the upcoming release of their complete lowers.

Lawdog-1
06-09-09, 19:36
Has anyone ever used Double Star LPK'S in their builds?

MachinegunT
06-09-09, 20:00
Has anyone ever used Double Star LPK'S in their builds?

I was wondering the same thing? I just bought 2 DPMS LPK's and am now thinking of not using them from the talk here! Besides LMT and Colt what is the most solid LPK to use? I don't mind waiting to pick them up either!

Remy
06-12-09, 14:40
I was wondering the same thing? I just bought 2 DPMS LPK's and am now thinking of not using them from the talk here! Besides LMT and Colt what is the most solid LPK to use? I don't mind waiting to pick them up either!

My brother-in-law and I have used DPMS kits on several builds and have had ZERO problems with them. The batch of kits we used looked great.

I think most any of the manufacturers can put out a questionable part from time to time.......but I definitely would not say that DPMS lpks are uniformly low quality!

spamsammich
06-13-09, 01:34
Well, it had to happen some time. I got a RRA with a horrible selector switch and about a 12# trigger pull. Just what I always wanted for my BCM pistol build. At least I got to learn first hand that their lower parts are hardened an parkerized well. A little filing and the selector smoothed out, but I still think it needs a little help. Hopefully the trigger breaks in and lightens up a little.

bullseye
06-13-09, 09:33
i ordered a stag LPK from ADDAX TACTICAL last week-end,, received it in the mail friday, gonna put it in a smith lower i picked up awile back ...72$ plus 4$ shipping,, 76$ delivered.

Lawdog-1
06-14-09, 00:39
Stag LPK are $66.00 from Stag Arms. I think Ill order from them.

22_Shooter
06-14-09, 04:55
Stag LPK are $66.00 from Stag Arms. I think Ill order from them.

Good luck with that. They are so behind on orders. There's a thread on TOS where people have had LPK's on order for MONTHS.

i ordered a stag LPK from ADDAX TACTICAL last week-end,, received it in the mail friday, gonna put it in a smith lower i picked up awile back ...72$ plus 4$ shipping,, 76$ delivered.

That's where I got mine. It went into my Mega lower with no problems. Probably going to pick up 2 more to throw in my parts bin, whenever they get back in stock.

bullseye
06-14-09, 08:56
i ordered another one from ADDAX yesterday , just for "spare parts",, order confirmation went through,,must still be some left.

Artos
06-14-09, 12:38
I have had two RRA lpk's on order since 3/19/09.

Not sure when I am going to see them.

RojasTKD
06-14-09, 14:11

I have recently build 4 lowers using them be because they where what I could get my hands on. They all looked fine, went in fine and have worked and none had missing parts.

DPMS may not be my preferred choice, But if I had a DPMS kit already on hand I wouldn't pass use it to wait and buy something else.

Just my .02

WyrTwister
06-14-09, 14:28
I'd put DPMS at the bottom of that list for a variety of reasons.

Just finished a build with a DPMS LPK .

Only issue was the pistol grip was TIGHT .

I had a Midway or Brownells PG that was snug , used it in stead .

But this would not have been a deal breaker for me .

I am satisfied .

God bless
Wyr

Lawdog-1
06-14-09, 15:02
So no other guys hvae used J&T Dist LPK ?

RojasTKD
06-14-09, 15:07
So no other guys hvae used J&T Dist LPK ?

I would guess that J&T get's their kits from one of the aforementioned manufactures.

Lawdog-1
06-14-09, 18:24
In a email from a staff Tech at J&T Dist told me something a while back about that his LPK were made by the same people as Colt.

MachinegunT
06-14-09, 18:37
In a email from a staff Tech at J&T Dist told me something a while back about that his LPK were made by the same people as Colt.

Are these the same as the Doublestar LPK's?

MachinegunT
06-14-09, 18:46

Who makes them for Colt?

Lawdog-1
06-14-09, 18:49
Double Star and J&T Dist are owed by the same people.

Bread is People
06-14-09, 19:39
This thread is great, just what I was looking for.

The only thing that could make it better would be a poll on which you have used and had good experience with.

I think I am going to wait for an RRA LPK instead of getting a DPMS kit just because they are available at the moment.

MachinegunT
06-14-09, 21:28
This thread is great, just what I was looking for.

The only thing that could make it better would be a poll on which you have used and had good experience with.

I think I am going to wait for an RRA LPK instead of getting a DPMS kit just because they are available at the moment.

The Doublestar ones sound promising! :D

MR.T
06-14-09, 21:37
Actually a lot of LPK's are made by the same company and then distributed under many different names. I have used DPMS, M1S and CMMG lower part and never had an issue with any of them.

ohiorifleman
06-14-09, 22:03
In the course of helping friends out with rifles over the last 12 years I have used the following LPKs- J&T/Doublestar,RRA, DPMS, Stag, Fulton Armory, Model One Sales and one that came out of a 380.00 parts kit at Knob Creek-
Model One Sales Detent Springs tend to be long (at least they were at one time) and the LPK that came with the 380.00 rifle kit at Knob Creek well, in the ten years that that rifle has been together I have replaced for him most of the kit due to parts failure ie- trigger and hammer pins breaking, bad selector spring, wallowed out notch on the underside of the RE etc.- just a junk kit all the way around. Have had no issues with J&T, RRA, and Stag LPKs whatsoever and some of the rifles those went in have survived high round counts and John Farnam's classes. Only have used one Fulton Armory kit so I'll withhold comment- but it went together fine.

Lawdog-1
06-15-09, 16:48
I just ordered a LPK rom J&T Dist and that are in stock, a little backed up on shipping. It will ship out on Wed.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-25-09, 06:50
The LPK that came installed in my CMMG lower when I bought it has been excellent! The stock trigger was actually an ok trigger too.

I really like my CMMG lower, the fit and finish was excellent. I also believe the barrel on my spikes tactical upper is a CMMG and its very accurate.

Bread is People
06-25-09, 13:01
Well, I couldn't wait, so I used a DPMS kit. Perfectly fine, the only things that could use improving was the disconnecter was a little tight fitting into the trigger cut out and the finish of the parts was not too great, but nowhere near unusable. Nothing major was wrong with anything included in the kit.