PDA

View Full Version : DD Carbine or LMT?

Mr.Goodtimes
06-08-09, 04:36
guys, im strongly considering selling my current rifle to fund another. Its a great rifle and i really like it, but i can only afford one rifle and i would rather it be the EXACT one i want. Its a spikes upper on a CMMG lower, lots of goodies installed. what i really want though is an LMT, but i also like the DD m4. which one is the better rifle? LMT or DD?

i think LMT is a great rifle. also, does anybody have any LMT complete rifles in stock?

sapper36
06-08-09, 05:31
I have a LMT and a DD. If there is a difference I haven't found it yet, they are both excellent rifles. The DD might a better value as it comes with a great rail, BUIS, VFG, and stock. That and to answer your last question I don't think anyone is selling complete LMT's yet, however you can get the DD rifle from a few dealers.

FVC3
06-08-09, 05:49
guys, im strongly considering selling my current rifle to fund another. Its a great rifle and i really like it, but i can only afford one rifle and i would rather it be the EXACT one i want. Its a spikes upper on a CMMG lower, lots of goodies installed. what i really want though is an LMT, but i also like the DD m4. which one is the better rifle? LMT or DD?

i think LMT is a great rifle. also, does anybody have any LMT complete rifles in stock?

The flared magwell and the FA bolt carrier on the DD make it the better rifle by an RCH. The DDM4's rail, BUIS, VFG, magpul triggerguard, VLTOR stock, etc. make it the better value by a mile.

shadco
06-08-09, 06:02
The flared magwell and the FA bolt carrier on the DD make it the better rifle by an RCH. The DDM4's rail, BUIS, VFG, magpul triggerguard, VLTOR stock, etc. make it the better value by a mile.

Slight correction the std stock is a Magpul Moe which is a good stock.

jwinch2
06-08-09, 07:15
Depends on which version of the LMT you are looking at. If it is the MRP CQB, that negates the comments on the rail, grip, and stock as LMT's rail system is very nice, it comes with an ergo grip, and I am a big fan of the sopmod stock. A trigger guard is a pretty cheap upgrade so I guess it really depends on how important that is to you. The flared magwell is a good point, though I have not had any problems inserting a mag or having them drop free in my LMT. I am a big, big fan of the MRP system and like the fact of the interchangable barrels and how easily they work.

Tough choice, but hard to go wrong in either direction.

spamsammich
06-08-09, 09:07
Looks as though Small Arms Sales has 16" Defender 2000 rifles for sale. I'd just get on bravo's or Grant's notification list. Grant just had some with sopmods in last week IIRC.

DDM4s are a lot of gun for the money though. If I were to get another LMT it would be the CQB MRP. Especially now that they have a pretty good assortment of barrels to choose from.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-08-09, 09:52
yea i saw the ones on grants website with the sopmod stock on them. im sorta leaning towards the DD rifle as its a great value and i really like the rail on it.

I like LMT for the name though, like, its an LMT ya know?

but yea the DD seems like it might be a winner as it already has the BUIS and the omega x rail is awesome.

Magsz
06-08-09, 10:05
Buying items because of a name and only a name is fairly retarded.

Buying items because the name means quality is smart.

What exactly is wrong with your current rifle? What dont you like about it? Are you worried because its not a top tier manufacturer? I would say that if the rifle works and it works every time i would spend the money on ammo instead of a new rifle.

Then again, if there is something that is currently "wrong" with your setup that you dont like and you cannot change then i would pursue a different brand/setup.

Variety is the spice of life and i do understand wanting to try something different. I myself fall victim to that every three or four months until i settle on something that i REALLY like. Ive found my setups now that im comfortable with but only because i sat down and thought long and hard about what i need and what i dont need.

Lawdog-1
06-08-09, 10:10
Dealer do sell complete LMT M4's. I know that G&R Tactical sell complete LMT M4's and complete LMT SBR's M4's.

RogerinTPA
06-08-09, 10:17
I have a 16" LMT MRP w/rifle length rail and absolutely love it. On the down side, it is a bit on the heavy side compared to my other ARs, you also have to spend additional coin to get a sling, Front and rear BUIS, BCG, and VFG.

DD M4 is an outstanding weapon that comes complete with all the bells and whistles that most people upgrade their weapon to. Aimsurplus has an outstanding deal going on the DD M4 that includes 5 PMags and an EOTech for $1899.00

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Daniel_Defense_M4_Rifle_Upgrade_Package.html

Mr.Goodtimes
06-08-09, 10:19
i think spikes is a great manufacturer, im not worried about that. the rifle has performed 100% since day one, never a single malfunction and it has around 2k through it.

I wasnt talkin about buying a LMT because it says LMT on the side, i was referring to it that way because i look at LMT as one of the best manufacturers out there.

my current rifle is actually an extremely nice rifle

-Larue 7.0 Rail
-Moe Grip
-Moe Stock
-Vltor RE
-Spikes Stubby VFG
-Magpul Trigger guard
-American Defense Mount with Eotech 512
-MI SPLP BUIS
-YHM flip up FSB
-VLTOR offset light mount w/ Surefire G2
-Tuned stock trigger

I think i need a longer rail on the rifle, i have long arms and i think i would benefit from having a longer rail on the rifle, i also dont really care for the YHM FSB as i think yhm makes sorta low end stuff. The main thing i dont like about the FSB is that the finish on it sucks, appearence wise it doesent really matter as the rifle is painted, however, im worried about rust.

I like the MOE stock but i would rather have an EMOD.

I may just replace the larue 7.0 with a 11.0, the MOE with an EMOD and the FSB with a DD low profile. and i can do all the work in my garage so it shouldnt be a problem.

I want the LMT because i like the SOPMOD stock, the rifle is quality, i like their BUIS, and ive herd they make great barrels. so i could essentially sell my current rifle, which i could probably get about 1500 bones for and then turn around and buy the LMT, it would be an even trade in the end.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-08-09, 10:21
damn that dd is nice, i really like that rifle... now im bouncing back and fourth...

GlockWRX
06-08-09, 10:53
I have both an LMT M4 and a DD M4. Value wise, I'd have to to give it to the DD M4. With a great rail, decent VFG, MOE stock, rear sling mount, better BUIS, and Magpul trigger guard it's more nicely fitted out than the LMT even given the price difference. Reliability and functionality are dead even IMHO.

If you want a rifle to buid to your specs, then the LMT is probably a better 'blank canvas'.

If you want something that is pretty much ready to rock out of the box, the DD M4 is one of the best deals going. Add a VTAC, T-1, and an X300 and you are ready to go.

The DD M4's are also available, while the LMT's are hard to come by.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-08-09, 11:02
yea im thinking that if i go with the DD im going to either put my eotech that i already have on there or an M4S, i really, really, really want an M4S.

shadco
06-08-09, 11:18
yea im thinking that if i go with the DD im going to either put my eotech that i already have on there or an M4S, i really, really, really want an M4S.

Pardon this question, what value does an M4S bring to you compared to an Aimpoint H1, or T1?

rjacobs
06-08-09, 11:27
I dont know much about LMT except that they are quality. I can speak to the DDM4 as I own one and it is a really quality gun with great parts on it from the factory. DD also really stands behind their products, my charging handle wouldn't latch into the upper and they sent a new one out immediately and said if that wasnt the issue they would send me a new upper. The new charging handle fixed the issue.

The only two things I am going to change on my DDM4 is the rear BUIS, I am going to swap for a Troy eventually, whenever I can afford an Aimpoint. I am probably also going to swap the VFG for a Tango Down so I can install a pressure pad for my light in the little pocket. But besides those two things, and they are personal preference items, there is nothing else on the gun I am going to change.

Thomas M-4
06-08-09, 12:16
I have both an LMT M4 and a DD M4. Value wise, I'd have to to give it to the DD M4. With a great rail, decent VFG, MOE stock, rear sling mount, better BUIS, and Magpul trigger guard it's more nicely fitted out than the LMT even given the price difference. Reliability and functionality are dead even IMHO.

If you want a rifle to buid to your specs, then the LMT is probably a better 'blank canvas'.

If you want something that is pretty much ready to rock out of the box, the DD M4 is one of the best deals going. Add a VTAC, T-1, and an X300 and you are ready to go.

The DD M4's are also available, while the LMT's are hard to come by.

I own a lmt its nice but GlockWRX as a good point LMT is a better blank canvas if the DD M4 has more of the accessories you want I say go with the DD M4 if you are going to run different hand rails, sights ,& buttstock then the LMT would best be for that purpose. The mrp upper is extremely well made also IMHO.
Either way you should be GTG.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-08-09, 14:10
Pardon this question, what value does an M4S bring to you compared to an Aimpoint H1, or T1?

I dont think it really does anything the H1 or T1 doesent. for the most part i like the way it looks better on the bigger rifles, and that it takes a AA battery. I think that the H1 and T1 look better on SBR's then on larger rifles.

decodeddiesel
06-08-09, 15:45
Honestly had the DD been an option when it first came out I would have been in the same situation as you. However having been an armorer in the Army I knew I loved working on ARs, so for me I probably would go with an LMT. If I wanted something that I knew would be ready to go with all of the go fast stuff out of the box (just add optic and X300) and were planning on shooting a lot more than tinkering then the DD is the clear choice.

Admittedly I like tinkering with things (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22285&page=3) and I agree with what has been said about the LMT being more of a blank canvas. In the end it was between an LMT or a 6920 two years ago. The LMT was $250 cheaper and it had the SOPMOD so I went with it. Honestly the shop owner didn't know what he really had with the LMT, but he sure knew the pony and charged out the ass for it.

CopDr
06-08-09, 16:11
This is a difficult one to call. I own a new LMT CQB MRP16 and love it, but would like a new 6940, as I am addicted to the Colt Kool Aid. I am thinking about selling a gun that is great (only 240 rounds fired) to get something that I like better than my LMT. Don't know if I will, but I am thinking about it.
My LMT feels great, has great rails, sites, and that SOPMOD is my favorite on the market. The gun is solid and accurate. Well worth the money.
I have put about 600 rounds through the DDM4 and like it too. The one I shoot is a little loose and feels like a good duty rifle. The DD functions flawlessly and is accurate.
If I were going to choose between a DDM4 and an LMT CQB MRP, I would take the LMT because it feels just a little better than the DD and I like the SOPMOD stock and trigger on the LMT.
Hope this helps!

Mr.Goodtimes
06-08-09, 19:19
i think what im going to do is keep the current gun ive got since it runs really well and just tinker with it a bit. ill pull off and sell the stuff i dont want and replace it with what i do. ive kind of bonded with my mutt rifle a little bit.

bkb0000
06-08-09, 19:46
16" to 16" gun, DD is a better value. you SOL if you want a 14.5, though.

also, the DDs are new. there's only a few people on earth who've put 10,000 rounds through one yet... so even though it's pretty spec and seems very well made, it's basically unfielded thus far.

fdxpilot
06-08-09, 20:42
Dealer do sell complete LMT M4's. I know that G&R Tactical sell complete LMT M4's and complete LMT SBR's M4's.

I bought a 16" M4 at a local shop about a month ago. I was in last Thursday and they had several more on the wall.

Mr.Goodtimes
06-09-09, 10:19
I Ended up ordering a Larue 10 in rail and a VLTOR EMOD along with MI front BUIS. This will give me exactly the setup I want. To be honest, ive really bonded with my current rifle, and its my first m4, so as opposed to selling a rifle that runs perfect as it is, ill just make it like i want it.

FVC3
06-09-09, 11:13
Slight correction the std stock is a Magpul Moe which is a good stock.

So true! My bad - I bought my DD and my S&W VTAC about a month apart. I swapped stocks right away.

brianc142
06-10-09, 09:30
LMT makes a good rifle; I have owned a few of their uppers and currently have a couple of lowers but for a complete rifle off the shelf, the DD M4 is hard to beat. If I were in the market for a new complete gun, the DD M4 would be the gun.