PDA

View Full Version : Go .40-less?

jdavis6576
06-08-09, 06:49
Recently I've been getting rid of piles of crap that I don't use anymore; old watches, clothes, golf clubs, etc. Now I'm thinking of consolidating my handguns. I haven't shot my M&P 40c in quite a while so the thought of selling it has crossed my mind. There's nothing wrong with the gun but I'm not big on safe queens, or drag queens for that matter. I'm currently carrying a M&P 45c and I also have a 9c that I carry occasionally. My wife has a P30 so I'm not going to get rid of my 9c.

Here's the catch; I have almost 600 rounds of defensive ammo for the 40c. I've owned 40s for over a decade but find myself shooting and carrying either a 45 or 9. It's not so much about selling the gun as it is having all of this ammo. I know I can sell the ammo but would have a hard time replacing it with 45 or 9 self-defense ammo. Not that I'm low in those calibers either but I believe you can never have enough ammo.

Thoughts, suggestions?

ghost762
06-08-09, 07:25
Recently I've been getting rid of piles of crap that I don't use anymore; old watches, clothes, golf clubs, etc. Now I'm thinking of consolidating my handguns. I haven't shot my M&P 40c in quite a while so the thought of selling it has crossed my mind. There's nothing wrong with the gun but I'm not big on safe queens, or drag queens for that matter. I'm currently carrying a M&P 45c and I also have a 9c that I carry occasionally. My wife has a P30 so I'm not going to get rid of my 9c.

Here's the catch; I have almost 600 rounds of defensive ammo for the 40c. I've owned 40s for over a decade but find myself shooting and carrying either a 45 or 9. It's not so much about selling the gun as it is having all of this ammo. I know I can sell the ammo but would have a hard time replacing it with 45 or 9 self-defense ammo. Not that I'm low in those calibers either but I believe you can never have enough ammo.

Thoughts, suggestions?

You got all wrong. Ditch the 9mm and keep the .40:D Better yet I'v been looking for a M&P compact, sell it to me.

chavez_e_chavez
06-08-09, 07:43
.40 has more stopping power then the 9mm but I sold my .40 to keep my 9mm...you will get mixed reviews

high888
06-08-09, 08:02
Guns are bad. You must get rid of all of them. (Pay no attention to me and
my concealed carry permit, however).

Love
Diane Fienstein

Jim Colborn
06-08-09, 08:40
The way I see it is that you don't have to feed it so why not keep it.

DRich
06-08-09, 09:00
.40 has more stopping power then the 9mm but I sold my .40 to keep my 9mm...you will get mixed reviews

There is no such thing as stopping power. When used with quality ammo, all the basic service calibers are pretty equal in performance.

Beat Trash
06-08-09, 09:00
The way I see it is that you don't have to feed it so why not keep it.

Unless you need the funds else ware, I agree with this post.

You have the gun, you have the ammo. You don't have to feed it, pay insurance on it, pay property taxes on it. Why not?

But if you don't want safe queens, and could use the funds else ware, then sell the gun and the ammo. Both should be easy to move in the current market.

I only caution you with this advice. Over the last 25 years, I have sold alot of guns. Some I never gave a second thought about the sale. Some I thoroughly regretted selling in time.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but in the end, what we would do, may not be what you want to do.

NCPatrolAR
06-08-09, 09:02
With ammo being scarce, it might be a good idea to keep it. It'll give you an "alternative" mainstream caliber when you can't find 9mm or 45 ammo

Drew78
06-08-09, 09:39
Stopping power?!?!?

That's like nails on a chalk board to me. Do a little reading on this topic here and get back to us on the effects of "stopping power" in relation to handgun ballistics. Pick a platform and a major brand of HP and dont look back.

;)

-Drew

rant off.

dwhitehorne
06-09-09, 15:20
With ammo being scarce, it might be a good idea to keep it. It'll give you an "alternative" mainstream caliber when you can't find 9mm or 45 ammo

I agree with this. I just traded a 45 to get a 40 cal because everytime I stop by the store they have 40 cal and usually no 9mm and 45. David

SuspectZero
06-09-09, 15:50
I'll happily come pick up the ammo and weapon.. Name a price, i own a FS M&P 40 and been thinking of picking up a compact.

ST911
06-09-09, 15:53
When 40SW ammo is no longer free, the only ones I'll own will be a few with sentimental value.

Raiden
06-09-09, 16:35
Ask yourself, and answer honestly: Would you miss it?

If no, then sell the gun & ammo to somebody here who could make better use of them. You've got a bunch of offers just from this thread! :D

Simplify, man. It feels good. And what good is a gun if it doesn't get used?

loupav
06-09-09, 19:06
I personally like only 9mm and .45 auto. Sure I have a .357 mag but that serves a different purpose.

I also have ONE .40 in my safe. I have it just to complete the collection of USP Compact pistols. Other than that, I don't care for shooting it. I got rid of my Sig P229. Right now I'd rather shoot 9mm and .45. Thats all.

Roy
06-18-09, 11:40
I agree with two of the above statements.

One says its paid for so why not keep it

one says what if you cant find 9 or 45 ammo.

I am in the same boat carrying a 21 for duty and a 19 for off. but i keep my 22 .

PRGGodfather
06-18-09, 13:36

Yup. The .40 is my least favorite of the ones you mentioned -- but if the ammo supply issues continue -- it may be the only thing you have left to shoot.

dirksterg30
06-18-09, 16:07

I agree - I used to have pistols in .380, 9mm, .40 and .45. Now I only have the .380 and 9mm. I don't know how many times I've gone looking for ammo, no .380 or 9mm to be found, but plenty of .40.

SuspectZero
06-18-09, 16:08
Please tell me where, cause i cant find ANY 40 in Northern Colorado!!!

larry0071
06-18-09, 16:24
SuspectZero,

Is it legal for me to ship it by us postal 1st class? Every time I go to Dicks Sporting Goods, all they have is .40 and the yellow box .223. If it is cheap and legal, I'll buy it and ship it to you......but you got to pay me back!

I would personally sale your 40 if it is dead weight. If you can not think of a logical reason that you would want to carry it, what is the point of keeping it? My 13yr old boy has a .22L revolver that his pap gave to him, if not for the fact it was a gift from his pap.... I would try to get him to sale or trade it for a Glock of his own.

(I know, he can not legally own a pistol, but he can assume it is his when I never shoot it and he always does!)

sxHarr05
06-18-09, 16:33
I think EVERYONE in this thread (and their friends) should do away with their .40s. That way I won't have to worry about an ammo shortage. Been carrying a .40 since the first-gen Sigma came out. Was at Mao-Mart last night and .40 was the only thing they had more than 3 boxes of.

So, yeah, unless you need the money (and really, who couldn't use a few extra Bens lying around?) I'd keep it. You've got plenty of ammo for it, and in a pinch it'll come in handy. Unless you can turn it over into .45 before the cash goes elsewhere. Just mho.

chadbag
06-18-09, 16:39
Please tell me where, cause i cant find ANY 40 in Northern Colorado!!!

The Big-5 in Pueblo (So CO) had some yellow box 40 on the shelf. And 25 auto. Only pistol ammo it had when I checked over the weekend.

Oscar 319
06-18-09, 20:57

Exactly. A few months ago, the only handgun ammo I could find locally was .40 S&W and .38 Special.

It never hurts to have options.

Saur
06-18-09, 21:02
Yeah, awhile ago all I could find was .40 and .357 Sig here.