PDA

View Full Version : Spent casings ejecting different directions ???

high888
06-08-09, 08:15
Some days they go flying out at a 45 degree angle forward, and other times
45 degrees back. I do use different brands of ammo. But this happens both
with my .223 and also with my .308. Yesterday I lubed up my .308 real good,
and they all ejected forward, whereby last week they all went over my shoulder
(I shoot left handed). :confused:

Safetyhit
06-08-09, 12:54
What type of weapons are we referring to here?

Wild Bill
06-08-09, 14:08
?

Two different weapons doing the same thing? Strange.

Wild Bill

militarymoron
06-08-09, 14:43
what's the issue? as long as they're coming out of the ejection port, i'm happy. :)

high888
06-08-09, 20:58
S&W MP15

DPMS LR308 AP4

True, as long as they come out consistently I'm happy.
Just curious on why some days one way, and other days
the other direction.

militarymoron
06-09-09, 00:32
different ammo will have different pressures, which influence the bolt/carrier speed, which will change the pattern. adding lube might be enough to change that speed enough to change the pattern. change in temperature casues change in pressures and can cause differences. i've noticed differences in where and how far the cases are ejected from the same rifle with different ammunition.
unless your rifle is in a fixed rest on a bench, how you're holding it and the angle it's being fired can change the pattern.
here's an article that's about handgun ejection patterns - i know, not rifles, but it's an interesting read all the same.
http://www.policeone.com/writers/columnists/Charles-Remsberg/articles/116478-Findings-are-now-firm-Ejected-shell-casings-cant-reliably-tell-much-about-a-shooters-location/

Cardiac Nurse
06-09-09, 06:40
different ammo will have different pressures, which influence the bolt/carrier speed, which will change the pattern. adding lube might be enough to change that speed enough to change the pattern. change in temperature casues change in pressures and can cause differences. i've noticed differences in where and how far the cases are ejected from the same rifle with different ammunition.
unless your rifle is in a fixed rest on a bench, how you're holding it and the angle it's being fired can change the pattern.
here's an article that's about handgun ejection patterns - i know, not rifles, but it's an interesting read all the same.
http://www.policeone.com/writers/columnists/Charles-Remsberg/articles/116478-Findings-are-now-firm-Ejected-shell-casings-cant-reliably-tell-much-about-a-shooters-location/

interesting read...thanks

high888
06-12-09, 04:20
Thanks moron.

I shoot from a bench thus am not moving around. So it must be the ammo.
I will keep a watch. See what goes where. When my wife is shooting, and
the shells eject rearward, I try to catch them with my ball cap. That way I don't
have to bend over. I'll be 57 in October. Things are much stiffer than in days
gone by. But thankfully, the one thing that is suppose to be stiff stills works
great. ;) (if I can stay awake long enough after coming home from work).

Safetyhit
06-12-09, 13:24
Thanks moron.

I shoot from a bench thus am not moving around. So it must be the ammo.
I will keep a watch. See what goes where. When my wife is shooting, and
the shells eject rearward, I try to catch them with my ball cap. That way I don't
have to bend over. I'll be 57 in October. Things are much stiffer than in days
gone by. But thankfully, the one thing that is suppose to be stiff stills works
great. ;) (if I can stay awake long enough after coming home from work).

That was enlightening.