View Full Version : Anouther Piston Question

mattpittinger
06-08-09, 09:32
Is a gas piston system inherently more accurate that a DI gun? Is a DI system more inherently accurate than a gas piston? Just sheer curiosity. In my testing I cant see any real difference, but I thought I would consult the experts.

C4IGrant
06-08-09, 09:44
Is a gas piston system inherently more accurate that a DI gun? Is a DI system more inherently accurate than a gas piston? Just sheer curiosity. In my testing I cant see any real difference, but I thought I would consult the experts.

A piston gun is not capable of being more accurate than a DI gun.

The reason why most all piston guns have VERY heavy barrels is because when the barrel gets hot, the piston has the barrel moving all over the place. So in order for a piston gun to keep up with the accuracy of a DI gun, they have to use heavy barrels.

So can gas piston AR's shoot as well as a DI gun? Sure can. Is there a price to pay for them being able to do it? Sure is.

C4

lanceriley
06-08-09, 09:51
that's a good insight... but I would probably agree with it.

mattpittinger
06-08-09, 10:29
I was thinking it was something along those lines. A DI gun is defiantly the lighter choice.

lanceriley
06-08-09, 10:34
I was thinking it was something along those lines. A DI gun is defiantly the lighter choice.

yep. I did consider that in my build. aside from being lighter.

I don't want another 4 oz of weight rocking back and forth in front.

The_War_Wagon
06-08-09, 19:39

As a POF owner, I'll second that. :eek:

As a recreational shooter - trying to be somewhat prepared for TEOTWAWKI - I also think BOTH of my AR's (POF & M&P15T), are more accurate than their owner. The curse of life in da' big city - I can't slip out in the evening and practice on the back 40, like I have in other places I've lived in my life. Better than having crappy tools, I suppose...

Jay Cunningham
06-08-09, 19:43
The recoil in a DI AR is 100% in line... barrel, bolt & carrier, recoil spring and buffer. In a piston gun the piston / op rod / whatever you want to call it impinges on the top of the bolt carrier, traditionally where the "key" is. This causes some muzzle flip.

lanceriley
06-08-09, 19:54
aha... and some claims the piston system recoils less.

Killjoy
06-08-09, 20:01
My experience with the POF is that it recoils more. Not that it was harsh or anything, but noticeable. Can't speak to any other brand.

C4IGrant
06-09-09, 09:05
aha... and some claims the piston system recoils less.

Anyone that says that is smoking crack! Every Piston Operated gun I have shot recoils more than ANY DI AR. This would include, LMT, POF, LWRC, HK, Adams Arms, etc.

C4

Mjolnir
06-09-09, 11:09
Anyone that says that is smoking crack! Every Piston Operated gun I have shot recoils more than ANY DI AR. This would include, LMT, POF, LWRC, HK, Adams Arms, etc.

C4
I find the recoil "sharp" (i.e., more impulsive) on every gas piston carbine compared to a Direct Impingement carbine. Looking at the system and a little bit of Physics and it can't be any different...