PDA

View Full Version : To Bushmaster or not to Bushmaster?

john humphries
01-14-07, 19:42
I'm getting back my income tax refund and have found Bushmaster M-4 Carbines for 834.00 at Academy. Is this an ok price and how is the Bushmaster line compared to others? I own an Olympic Arms rifle and am now looking for a carbine.

Low Drag
01-14-07, 20:52
I got my BM M4gery a year ago November for $810 plus tax.

I've got over 1500 rds though it with no trouble at all. It holds about a 6" group at 200 yards, open sights. Well I should say I can hold 6" groups, not the carbine. My eyes are getting worse by the year.

M4arc
01-14-07, 21:13
If it fits your budget and within the parameters of YOUR needs then go for it! Buy some quality mags and shoot the living piss out of it!

sparrow
01-14-07, 21:17
I ran over 20K through my Bushmaster in the latter half of 05 and all of 06 with no problems at all, lots of Tac. Matches, a course and Service Rifle matches. I did however run a half Colt/Half FN Bolt & carrier group, stake the gas key properly and the RET lock ring in addition to extractor upgrades and re-torqing the barrel( an APE did the original job). All the fire control parts were M16 too. I turfed the Bushy after learning that B MP meant "batch" instead of Bushmaster;) . It was more gun than this civvy needed but my 6921HB and 6720 make me feel much cooler.:cool:

jmart
01-14-07, 21:22
I've got a BM myself and like it so I think you'll be GTG after you do some minor upgrades previously mentioned. having said that I saw some Superior Arms M4s at a local gunshow today, something like $750-775 complete. They looked pretty good from what I could see. Even if you end up having to do the same upgrades you'll still be a few bucks ahead.

Low Drag
01-14-07, 23:03
The only mods/upgrades I've done to mine are:

Front sling mount, to allow for side mount.
Large oval hand guards.
CAA pistol grip (I like large frame Glocks - so I like the larger pistol grip)
Magpul M93B stock, just put it on. (I like the cheek weld).

The gas key is staked just fine and the barrel is installed correctly.

Whatever unit you get, shoot the hell out of it. Get good with it, gain confidence, have fun.

jem375
01-15-07, 11:32
I shoot nothing but DPMS since the manufacturer is close by but my 2nd choice would be RRA and then the Bushmaster....you really can't go wrong with any of the A,B,C,D, and R of ar15 rifles............

C4IGrant
01-15-07, 11:39
I'm getting back my income tax refund and have found Bushmaster M-4 Carbines for 834.00 at Academy. Is this an ok price and how is the Bushmaster line compared to others? I own an Olympic Arms rifle and am now looking for a carbine.

I think the BM's are ok and if that is what you want then go with it. In the budget AR arena, my first choice would be Armalite, then Stag.

If you go with the BM, make sure to buy a spare bolt (see their bolts break more than others) and make sure to check the stake job on the carrier key. Double check that the FBS isn't canted either.

C4

9DivDoc
01-15-07, 22:13
I think the BM's are ok and if that is what you want then go with it. In the budget AR arena, my first choice would be Armalite, then Stag.

If you go with the BM, make sure to buy a spare bolt (see their bolts break more than others) and make sure to check the stake job on the carrier key. Double check that the FBS isn't canted either.

C4

Grant...forgot to ask earlier if you spent any time over with the Sabre Defece folks
and what your impressions were about their offerings?

tia-again :)

C4IGrant
01-16-07, 08:37
Grant...forgot to ask earlier if you spent any time over with the Sabre Defece folks
and what your impressions were about their offerings?

tia-again :)

Looked at their stuff and it is very well made IMHO. They have raised their prices in 2007 and are now kind of high. I don't know if that will hurt sales or not.

C4