PDA

View Full Version : I need some advise

JackOSU
06-08-09, 17:45
on gear selection for an upcoming class with MD. This is the carbine 1 class and will be my first related to the AR platform. I have some training as related to CCW etc with my secondary. I was pretty sure I wanted to run with the Raven Concealment mag pouches and holster, but Jay and the guys are backlogged 40 plus days and weren't able to make the deadline. Not their fault I just had to cancel order since I wasn't aware at the time of ordering (man their stuff looks nice and I'm sure I will probably order from them in the future) so I'm back to square 1 with finding some decent mag pouches.

I know most here, myself included, are aware of the bladtech option. My only reservation for this is trying to avoid any injection molding. I'd prefer to stay strictly kydex. I also want something that is going to last and be pretty durable. I got some great feedback from Derek and sent an email to his connection in GA, but have not heard back from them.

I also can't decide on whether or not to run with a basic ATS vest or to run light and figure out what works for me and go with 2 mag pouches, one mag in the rifle and maybe one in my pocket.

I will be running with a double mag pouch (kydex) from Comptac for my secondary G-19. The other issue is with my holster. Currently I have a Comptac paddle, but it does not have the ability to hold my X300 on it. This is where I was getting pumped about the Raven. For anyone who has taken the class before is this really going to be that bad for the night shoot with my secondary or will having a surefire in my hand be okay? Light for primary is gtg.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. I have already gotten some previously, but just want to make sure I have my shit in line before things get close so I'm not "that guy".

matthewdanger
06-08-09, 19:14
If time was of the essence, I would probably just pick up a light, compact chest rig like the one from ATS or an Eagle SKD Rig.

If you want to run a belt mounted kydex pouch that needs to be available yesterday, I think Safariland makes a belt mounted AR mag pouch that is molded from SafariLaminate (house name for their kydex type stuff). I don't think they are injection molded. I think they are honest to goodness bent kydex like Safariland's other products and should be available without a backlog.

bkb0000
06-08-09, 19:16
here's some advice- use spell check :p

JackOSU
06-08-09, 19:47
here's some advice- use spell check :p

Nahhh...it's overrated. Sorry it's a little harder typing on the BB than here at home.

Okay so the jokes on me with my lack of spell check. Can you advise on the question? Thanks!

JackOSU
06-08-09, 19:48
If time was of the essence, I would probably just pick up a light, compact chest rig like the one from ATS or an Eagle SKD Rig.

If you want to run a belt mounted kydex pouch that needs to be available yesterday, I think Safariland makes a belt mounted AR mag pouch that is molded from SafariLaminate (house name for their kydex type stuff). I don't think they are injection molded. I think they are honest to goodness bent kydex like Safariland's other products and should be available without a backlog.

Thank you for the input.

What are your thoughts on one or the other or a combo of both??

RogerinTPA
06-08-09, 20:10
A hand held light will do. You may happen upon a neat configuration with your gear, and while in the class, come to the conclusion that it doesn't work for you. That's another bonus to taking classes, you get the benefit of seeing other people's setups and a critique by the instructor sometimes. If he doesn't offer, just ask. I find myself wandering the crowd during breaks asking questions about a persons kit, weapon setup, etc... I'd put the raven concealment light holster back on order. It is well worth the wait. I have one for my M&P9 and it is the shizel! :cool: I got a lot of positive feed back from others in a class that wanted one, as well as the Heine Straight Eight sites I had on my pistol.

matthewdanger
06-08-09, 20:16
A hand held light will do. You may happen upon a neat configuration with your gear, and while in the class, come to the conclusion that it doesn't work for you. That's another bonus to taking classes, you get the benefit of seeing other people's setups and a critique by the instructor sometimes. If he doesn't offer, just ask. I find myself wandering the crowd during breaks asking questions about a persons kit, weapon setup, etc... I'd put the raven concealment light holster back on order. It is well worth the wait. I have one for my M&P9 and it is the shizel! :cool: I got a lot of positive feed back from others in a class that wanted one, as well as the Heine Straight Eight sites I had on my pistol.

Good points. One of the best parts of a class if getting to 1) shake out your own gear and 2) observe what works and what doesn't for a bunch of other shooters.

Raven makes great stuff that is well worth the wait, but it won't help you if they can't deliver in time for your class.

If I were preparing for a carbine class, I would take good long look at the "First Line Belt" thread that is tacked at the top of this forum. Belts are just about ideal for carbine courses. You can pair a dedicated belt with a light chest rig but they may be overkill depending on the class.