PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Mil-Spec vs. Para GI Expert

rjacobs
06-08-09, 19:59
I am looking at getting a 1911 for a range gun and to add something to my collection since everybody needs a 1911. I have settled on getting something entry level so that I can learn the platform as well as being a cheaper purchase. I know these are not the be all end all of the 1911 world, but I think they both will do what I am interested in. I think the Mil-Spec might be a better built gun and its been around for quite a while vs. the GI Expert which has just been released. I am just looking for some constructive advice on which is the better gun and why.

Gutshot John
06-08-09, 21:06
Get a used Colt 1911/1991.

Same or less money as the other two options...and it's a pony.

A brand new one will cost you a hundred or two more.

Gutshot John
06-08-09, 21:10
Here's one on Gunbroker...listed as used but it appears NIB.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130696167

8200rpm
06-08-09, 23:10
If it was my money, I'd rather go with the forged Brazilian rather than the cast Canadian. The Springfield is probably more amenable to upgrading/hacking since it uses series 70 fire control parts.

If you're out to just save money on any ole 1911, then the Taurus and Armscor are other low priced options. The Pony is a nice suggestion if you don't mind series 80 and spending a little more. If I was looking for a long term addition I'd go with a Colt just because it's a Colt.

My last "low-priced" 1911 was a new Kimber series one that I picked up a decade ago for under $600. I was also under the impression that "everyone needs to have a 1911" until the extractor went out of tune after 800 rounds. Simple fix and not a big issue on a range gun. You probably already know that 1911s can be fickle/needy. Personally, it's just not an attribute I want to deal with in a gun anymore.

Jason Burton
06-09-09, 00:50
Between the two you listed I would opt for the Springfield... or as was previously mentioned buy a used Colt.

rjacobs
06-09-09, 01:20
Get a used Colt 1911/1991.

Same or less money as the other two options...and it's a pony.

A brand new one will cost you a hundred or two more.

I'm not looking for a used gun, Colt or not.

If it was my money, I'd rather go with the forged Brazilian rather than the cast Canadian. The Springfield is probably more amenable to upgrading/hacking since it uses series 70 fire control parts.

If you're out to just save money on any ole 1911, then the Taurus and Armscor are other low priced options. The Pony is a nice suggestion if you don't mind series 80 and spending a little more. If I was looking for a long term addition I'd go with a Colt just because it's a Colt.

My last "low-priced" 1911 was a new Kimber series one that I picked up a decade ago for under $600. I was also under the impression that "everyone needs to have a 1911" until the extractor went out of tune after 800 rounds. Simple fix and not a big issue on a range gun. You probably already know that 1911s can be fickle/needy. Personally, it's just not an attribute I want to deal with in a gun anymore.

I know 1911's can be fickle, like I said, I am not worried about it, its not going to be a trust my life to it gun. I have read a ton good about the Springfield Mil-Spec, but the only thing I have read about the Para is reviews with maybe 200 rounds down range. I know the mil-spec has had thousands of rounds down range by some very capable people. I would love to find a Kimber series 1, but haven't seen one locally, well, ever. Its going to be a range gun and thats about it. The shop I generally buy from has the Taurus PT1911(I think thats the model number), I looked at it, but it didnt strike me like the Springfield Mil-Spec did. I cant say the Para struck me as a gun I had to have either though. The guns that struck me as "I want this now" were the Kimber's, but being all series 2 guns, I know the issues with them and am not really interested in them.

Rob96
06-09-09, 03:18
Springfield Mil-Spec!

Frens
06-09-09, 04:43
Springfield Mil-Spec!

ditto!

John_Wayne777
06-09-09, 07:06
I am looking at getting a 1911 for a range gun and to add something to my collection since everybody needs a 1911. I have settled on getting something entry level so that I can learn the platform as well as being a cheaper purchase. I know these are not the be all end all of the 1911 world, but I think they both will do what I am interested in. I think the Mil-Spec might be a better built gun and its been around for quite a while vs. the GI Expert which has just been released. I am just looking for some constructive advice on which is the better gun and why.

Repeat after me, class:

ParaOrdanance is crap. Bottom of the barrel.

The Springer GI guns aren't bad from what I've seen of them and from what I've heard from knowledgeable people.

NCPatrolAR
06-09-09, 09:05
I'd opt for the Mil-Spec; mine has worked well for a 1911.

Beat Trash
06-09-09, 09:05
Springfield Mil-Spec!

I'd have to agree...

markm
06-09-09, 09:18
I'd only settle on a springer if I was sending it to Burton to completely overhaul.

Since you're not looking to build a nice weapon, the safer bet would be the Colt M1991 A1.

rjacobs
06-09-09, 09:37
I think the Colt is going to be a bit above my price range since I can get the Mil-Spec for like 550. All the Colt's I am seeing are around 750 which would get me into a Springfield Custom Loaded.

decodeddiesel
06-09-09, 11:05
Between the two you listed I would opt for the Springfield... or as was previously mentioned buy a used Colt.

I agree. Para is crap, and the Mil-Spec would be a great beginner 1911.

However even though I love my Springfield, and the lifetime warranty is tops, honestly if I were going to buy a 1911 tomorrow it would be a Colt.

BTW: I have a Springfield Loaded. It is not a "Custom" gun by any stretch of the imagination. It has some nice features for the money, but comes from the exact same production lines as the Mil-Spec. One thing you're going to learn in the 1911 world is $750 is not going to get you into a custom gun. Look to spend about 2x that.

rjacobs
06-09-09, 11:18
BTW: I have a Springfield Loaded. It is not a "Custom" gun by any stretch of the imagination. It has some nice features for the money, but comes from the exact same production lines as the Mil-Spec. One thing you're going to learn in the 1911 world is $750 is not going to get you into a custom gun. Look to spend about 2x that.

I never said I thought the Loaded was a custom gun, I know its not. All I was saying was for what I have seen basic Colt 1991's going for($750), I could get a Springfield Loaded.

decodeddiesel
06-09-09, 11:22
I think the Colt is going to be a bit above my price range since I can get the Mil-Spec for like 550. All the Colt's I am seeing are around 750 which would get me into a Springfield Custom Loaded

Just reading what you wrote bro.

JiMfraRED1911
06-09-09, 11:32
Repeat after me, class:

ParaOrdanance is crap. Bottom of the barrel.

The Springer GI guns aren't bad from what I've seen of them and from what I've heard from knowledgeable people.

Man...sounds like I've heard that from someone recently.

;)

Rinspeed
06-10-09, 06:05
Not sure if they still do it but Para even came up with the bright idea to use a cast extractor at one point. :confused:

jtb0311
06-10-09, 16:56
Man...sounds like I've heard that from someone recently.

;)

Me too.

But I've never really liked Paras.

TOrrock
06-10-09, 17:40
The last time Canadians made a decent handgun it was John Inglis making Hi Powers for WWII.

Para Ordnance guns shit the bed on a regular basis.

MarshallDodge
06-10-09, 20:58
Springfield. Good gun and great customer service if you need it.

Blankwaffe
06-10-09, 21:09
The last time Canadians made a decent handgun it was John Inglis making Hi Powers for WWII.

Yeap Ive had very little luck with Para.I would avoid them at all cost.
Ive got a P14-45 that I bought a few years ago on a close out sale at the local gunshop..Needless to say the only thing about the P14 that remains a Para part is the frame.
Everything else has been replaced by Barsto,Ed Brown and Wilson etc..which turned out to make a fine and somewhat expensive handgun.
The parts replacement was due to necessity and ignorance on my part for even trying to keep the pistol...the cast parts such as the firing pin stop,barrel bushing,slide stop,FCG etc. failed almost immediately and the replacement parts they send out or install are no better.Fragile as an egg and poor tolerances combine to make CRAP.
The slide was so far out of spec at the barrel bushing that is was oval.
The hard plastic mag catch was a joke from the gitgo.
The barrel was so far out of tolerance there was no way to get it off the link.
I could go on but I see no use.
Thats my one personal example,but Ive seen several newer and improved models having the same issues at the range and at the local gunshop.

So yeah I'd go with the SA if I had the choice.

VooDoo6Actual
06-11-09, 05:10
Easy day

SA Mil-Spec.

John_Wayne777
06-11-09, 08:08

...and they have a long history of doing so. This has been common knowledge in 1911 circles for a long time.

rjacobs
06-12-09, 13:58
OK, ive decided on the Springfield Mil-Spec, now I just need to find one in stainless with the NM serial number so I make sure I get the better barrel.

Rinspeed
06-12-09, 14:14
OK, ive decided on the Springfield Mil-Spec, now I just need to find one in stainless with the NM serial number so I make sure I get the better barrel.

Good luck with that, you don't see them very often.

Dunderway
06-13-09, 01:04
SA all the way! I'm a firm believer that a basic SA or Colt with the original Gunsite recommended modifications (mil-spec has most of them) would suit 99% of the defensive minded shooters out their to this day.

I am not a big fan of the stainless SA pistols, however. Their small parts are chromed, so any dehorning will require rechroming which kills the benefits of a SS pistol to me. If you plan on doing this, you are farther ahead to purchase a stainless Colt. FWIW I have carried my parkerized mil-spec in rain, snow, sleat, and even had it fully submerged over the past 10 years or so, and there is no rust to speak of.

rjacobs
06-13-09, 18:08
I am not a big fan of the stainless SA pistols, however. Their small parts are chromed, so any dehorning will require rechroming which kills the benefits of a SS pistol to me. If you plan on doing this, you are farther ahead to purchase a stainless Colt. FWIW I have carried my parkerized mil-spec in rain, snow, sleat, and even had it fully submerged over the past 10 years or so, and there is no rust to speak of.

I did not know this about the SA stainless 1911's. I can get the regular parkerized mil-spec easier and cheaper than the stainless anyway.

Rob96
06-13-09, 19:16
I prefer the looks of a parkerized 1911.

nogoodnamesleft
06-13-09, 19:50
SA is fine, but I'd not go with the Mil-Spec due to the tang grip safety, instead opting for a model with a beaver tail grip safety. If you haven't shot one with the tang, I would strongly suggest you go with a beaver tail or at least shoot one with a tang. And I don't mean dry fire it, I mean shoot it with at least one mag of 230gr -- you'll know why once you do it.

flyboy1788
06-13-09, 20:23
SA is fine, but I'd not go with the Mil-Spec due to the tang grip safety, instead opting for a model with a beaver tail grip safety. If you haven't shot one with the tang, I would strongly suggest you go with a beaver tail or at least shoot one with a tang. And I don't mean dry fire it, I mean shoot it with at least one mag of 230gr -- you'll know why once you do it.

yea, it bites once in a while, so bite it back :D. The mil-spec is a no bullshit 1911 made the way God and John Moses Browning intended it.

Dunderway
06-13-09, 21:24

A small amount of dehorning will completely take care of this.

nogoodnamesleft
06-13-09, 21:26
yea, it bites once in a while, so bite it back :D. The mil-spec is a no bullshit 1911 made the way God and John Moses Browning intended it.

I'm not referring to hammer bite, the Mil-Spec's A1 tang is long enough that this is not going to happen. The problem is that the tang is narrow and hasn't been de-horned, giving sharp corners to concentrate the stress on the web of the hand. If you get the tang, you'll eventually, I'm guessing, want to get it de-horned which requires refinishing. If you get the beaver tail, its radius spreads the pressure out -- much more comfortable for long shooting sessions. It's worth it.

Dunderway
06-14-09, 00:49
I'm not referring to hammer bite, the Mil-Spec's A1 tang is long enough that this is not going to happen. The problem is that the tang is narrow and hasn't been de-horned, giving sharp corners to concentrate the stress on the web of the hand. If you get the tang, you'll eventually, I'm guessing, want to get it de-horned which requires refinishing. If you get the beaver tail, its radius spreads the pressure out -- much more comfortable for long shooting sessions. It's worth it.

I agree 100%. Although I find the Loaded SA pistols include some undesirable features (for me) and still need to be dehorned, so the refinishing is really a wash for me.

nogoodnamesleft
06-14-09, 08:19
I agree 100%. Although I find the Loaded SA pistols include some undesirable features (for me) and still need to be dehorned, so the refinishing is really a wash for me.

LOL. I have an SA 6" long slide with adjustable target sights that are so sharp you could shave with it. Hurts to sling shot the slide.

Haven't brought myself to the point of actually de-horning the sight yet simply because of the refinishing.

rjacobs
06-14-09, 21:57
Damn it, my dad just got a Kimber Custom and as far as I can tell its a series 1. It just says custom on the side with out the II that all the series 2 guns I have seen have. The shop he bought it from has a few others, so tempting. I think he said it was around $800.

SliverStar52
06-17-09, 16:37
I have a Springfield Mil-spec but with a match barrel and I have a Taurus 1911 with all the bells and whistles. The Taurus 1911 is better and was the same price. Use Wilson or Kimber mags.

DRich
06-17-09, 16:41
The Taurus 1911 is better...

There's a statement you don't here very often. :)

Dunderway
06-17-09, 20:35
I have a Springfield Mil-spec but with a match barrel and I have a Taurus 1911 with all the bells and whistles. The Taurus 1911 is better and was the same price. Use Wilson or Kimber mags.

Just wondering: Why the match barrel in the Mil-Spec and how is the Taurus "better"?

Rob96
06-18-09, 04:11

:confused::confused::confused: If you are ever in PA you can compare your Taurus with my Mil-Spec. It does have a beavertail, delta hammer, Swenson style thumb safety, 10-8 rear sight and 10-8 long trigger, and came with a match grade barrel and bushing from Springfield. All mods done by the Springfield Custom Shop. Cost of the gun and mods in 2006 was only $100-$150 more than what the Tauruses were selling for then. There is no comparison.

I really have to laugh at the full page adds Taurus runs on the PT1911 in magazines.:p