PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here

Rated21R
06-09-09, 03:15
Hello. New guy here. Name is Cody and I am a USAF Officer. I found my way here from the XCR Forum (waits for rocks to be thrown) and Variablebinary (his link for M4Carbine in his signature). I currently am in the market for a black rifle (actually have an order in for an XCR but that could mean a wait like other companies too). I have been looking at all different companies and I was looking for some advice as to what to purchase. I plan on shooting with my father at the range, maybe some small varmit shooting and of course attending as many classes as I can. It will also serve as another home defense weapon. I have a Springfield XDm. I am in the Air Force and have shot/deployed with the M4 and I have to say I enjoy it. I have looked at the DDM4, LMTs, LWRCs, well you name I have checked it out. I have enough down time when not working to browse forums and the internet. So with all that being said I am looking for accurate, reliable, quality and well of course it needs to be in my price range (less than 2k) so any input is great. Thanks.

Shotdown
06-09-09, 03:21
Welcome Sir! I picked up an LMT rifle and it's been outstanding. It's my only rifle so I wanted to pick up a quality one right off the bat. I've used it for 3-gun, hunting jack rabbits and for range shooting without issues. I'll send you a PM with the info on where I bought mine with .mil discount.

SwatDawg15
06-09-09, 03:28
Welcome Cody

Failure2Stop
06-09-09, 04:22
Welcome aboard.
2 grand can buy a lot of rifle, or it get you a whole lot of junk.
Is the 2,000 the limit for the whole shebang, soup to nuts, or are you willing to pay for additions and upgrades?

Do you want a complete rifle, or are you willing to slap on handguards, insert a charging handle and bolt into the upper, and push pins on a lower?

Have you thought about optics? Some optics alone will break the $2K limit, or get you half-way there.

Don't forget sling, lights, mags, rail covers (if you go with a rail system), etc.

If I had no ARs, and was buying a complete carbine today with a budget, I would probably go with the DD. High quality, good rail system that allows a 12 o'clock light mount and built in QD sockets, comes with BUIS, better stock, VFG, and even comes with a PMag. Now I am not willing to fight with someone to determine if the DD is equal to or better than a 6920, but it certainly stacks up well and comes with a bunch of stuff you need anyway.

There are other very good options out there as well, I just think that the DD offers exceptional value and usability out of the box.

PlatoCATM
06-09-09, 06:40
Welcome, Sir.
I would have to second the DD if you would rather buy a complete gun, but if you are willing to part it out, buy a lower (stripped or complete depending on if you can assemble it) and then buy a BCM upper with BCM internals. Either of these set-ups are top of the line and should suit your budget and your purpose. Have a good AF day.

Iraqgunz
06-09-09, 08:33
Cody,

Welcome aboard (even if you are a wingnut :D). There is a lot of good advice here. Read some of the posts, look around and think about what set up you want. IMHO F2S's advice on the DD M4 is good. It has what you need to get going and not break the pocket book.

Rated21R
06-09-09, 09:10
I am not opposed to buying an upper and lower and handguards, etc. and putting my own rifle together. I am also not opposed to a DDM4. As of right now I have some parts that were gifts to me at the beginning of this process. I have Magpul MBUSs, a CTR, 5 PMAGS, and a MIAD. As far as optics I love my Aimpoint on my service rifle and plan on getting one for Christmas (from the wife hopefully). So I would say that the 2k is mostly for the rifle the sling, the light, and the other goodies that I left out. I truly appreciate all the good input and welcome any further input, especially if I decide to build instead of buy complete. I assume BCM is Bravo Company Manufacturing, are they the same company that sells AR parts or is it someone else (sorry for that stupid question).

One other quick question (might be stupid too) in regards to the DDM4 what is the real purpose of the rail extending past the FSB? I mean could one pick one up and change out the front rail system to a shorter one? I typically shot with my front hand on the mag well and not extended further out, but if I do I use a VFG. I think that is all for my silly questions and thank you again.

Rated21R
06-09-09, 10:36
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Daniel_Defense_M4_Rifle_Upgrade_Package.html

I found this link, is this for real, are they legit? Seems like quite a package.

RogerinTPA
06-09-09, 11:20
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Daniel_Defense_M4_Rifle_Upgrade_Package.html

I found this link, is this for real, are they legit? Seems like quite a package.

Welcome aboard.

That is the most complete out of the box set up deal that has probably ever been advertised. With 5 pmags and an eotech included, its the best deal going. Get a Vicker/Blureforce sling and light, and you're GTG. If you don't like the eotech, just sell it for an aimpoint. If I was new to the AR platform, this would be my selection.

FYI, if you were to outfit any bone stock Colt 6920 with the stuff the DD M4 has, you would be in the High $2Ks in a hurry.

NightFighter
06-09-09, 19:59
I have been coming to this site on and off for a while trying to decide which AR rifle to purchase as a first rifle. With the multitude of manufactures and upgrades I have put off buying an AR until this time. This is the most complete package deal I have even come across in my research.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/D...e_Package.html

As soon as I save up enough money one of these packages will belong to me. Thanks to everyone for posting this information.

kyrin88
06-09-09, 20:43
Get a 6920, they are going for $1250.00 on GB. Oh and thanks for the service to our country.:D

Rated21R
06-10-09, 00:55
Thanks for all the great input. I believe i will pick up the DDM4 from Aim Surplus and probably sell the Eotech and get an Aimpoint. Then get myself in some classes and continue to read up and learn. I can't wait. :D

Failure2Stop
06-10-09, 02:59
Thanks for all the great input. I believe i will pick up the DDM4 from Aim Surplus and probably sell the Eotech and get an Aimpoint. Then get myself in some classes and continue to read up and learn. I can't wait. :D

Remove that red "probably" and you could be in the running for the award of:
"Most sensible post by a member with 5 posts or less".

Rated21R
06-10-09, 03:06
Haha, thanks. Yeah I will sell that and just pick up the Aimpoint I wanted originally. Now I just have to count down the days till I am home and can pick everything up. Oh well, that gives me time to catch up on my reading here.

USBP379
06-10-09, 04:12
Welcome, amigo,

Hey, if you have not seen it yet, visit the Technical discussion and look at "the List" which is a comparison of the various AR brands. It is quite an enlightening document and helps to explain WHY a DD, Colt, etc., is better than the run of the mill AR you see in Sportsman's Warehouse, etc.

+1 on BCM components, one of my uppers has a BCM mid length barrel and it is a tack driver.

Oh, hey tell your Security Forces friends in the IZ to quit giving tickets to Americans while hajis speed by at 180kph! :mad:

Rated21R
06-10-09, 05:01
I will check out the "list" and as for the cops I think we all have that issue :D wish I could help there.

USBP379
06-10-09, 05:22
I will check out the "list" and as for the cops I think we all have that issue :D wish I could help there.

I misinformed you, it is called "the Chart." You'd be amazed how much this simple chart will make tempers flare in some circles.

It's a good read.

Sticky: Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

bjw182005
06-10-09, 15:24
Hey easy on us cops now eh.... We're not all that bad. If you have never really handled or taken any kind of classes with an M4 you can always contact your local CATM office and, if you are in ood standing with them, they may be willing to help you out with the basics of carbine operation. Hey if you get in good enough with them you can even get a lot of good quality gunsmithing done for nothing more than a thank you. The vast majority of those guys are just plain weapon enthusiasts and are willing to help out provided you can work around their hectic schedules.

Rated21R
06-10-09, 23:34
I agree. I have been out there quite a bit and talked with those guys. I have put my fair share of lead down range too. I think my best bet right now is just to keep doing research and when I get back go and shoot and make my decision on what to pick up. If that deal is still around it will be my first choice.