PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with Stag lower's now?

sewvacman
06-09-09, 07:31
I have to ask this because I am seeing quite a few on GB for around $100. This is what you would expect to pay for doublestar or superior crap. Is Stag still a good mil-spec lower? I bought one before posting but have not received it yet. Anyone heard of any changes?

Hound_va
06-09-09, 07:38
That price is back in line with what they were going for before the election.

markm
06-09-09, 08:29
Stripped lowers command almost no premium whatsoever. There's not too many LPKs around for one. And even if you find an LPK to put the thing together, there's no ammo for it.

Stripped lowers are almost paper weights right now.

August
06-09-09, 09:43
I recently purchased a Stag lower receiver and it looks to be top quality.

Saginaw79
06-09-09, 09:46
STAG makes good stuff, but we'll see more of this as peoples panic subsides or they sell things of they bought in a panic etc;

John_Wayne777
06-09-09, 10:14
I have to ask this because I am seeing quite a few on GB for around $100. This is what you would expect to pay for doublestar or superior crap. Is Stag still a good mil-spec lower? I bought one before posting but have not received it yet. Anyone heard of any changes?

I think what you are seeing is the result of people trying to sell off stuff they purchased during the great panic. Personally I paid 110 for the two Stag lowers I ordered during the insanity. I bought them to hopefully mate up with BCM uppers someday soon. I'm not inclined to change my mind on that.

Pistola
06-09-09, 12:34
Stag lowers in my opinion is still a good quality. Especially for people who does not want to spend an arm and a leg. :D

bkb0000
06-09-09, 12:42
stag is not only milspec, but they generally have really good finish machining.

it's not just people selling their stockpiles- i saw them listed for $100 a pop, in stock, at a dealer website a few days ago.

MachinegunT
06-10-09, 05:47

I have 4 Doublestar stripped lowers and think they are great? Why do you think they are junk? I think they are made by LAR and have a great finish on them!

sewvacman
06-10-09, 08:36
I was hoping nothing had changed. You see some guys trying to unload them for nearly $200, so at $100 I had to wonder.

There are still LPK's out there (stag, rra) if you look hard enough$75-$85, no deal but not a full butt-raping either.

MachinegunT-I did not mean to offend you but doublestar is not "Known" for being higher quality than others, just more affordable. LAR does make lowers for Noveske and others I believe, but I would suspect that there is a heirarchy in quality and that Doublestar is not at the top of it. Just my opinion, not to be construed in any way as fact. I am glad you are happy with yours.

Mikebiker
06-10-09, 10:09
I am a full time seller on ebay and gunbroker. If you notice there are two sets of prices. The ask price and the sell price. If you are patient and willing to wait you may get the higher ask price. If you want to flip it and keep the cash coming in you go for the sell price. As the panic subsides and the peoples appetite is satisfied the prices will come down in general. IMHO as long as we have the current situation in Washington the panic will never fully go away. With one simple sentence the panic can go through the roof again, it's the money that will run out first.

RojasTKD
06-10-09, 12:43
Stag is a quality lower, but i'm not wild about the finish on mine.

Just got an Areo Precision lower and find the finish much nicer.

bkb0000
06-10-09, 12:58
Stag is a quality lower, but i'm not wild about the finish on mine.

Just got an Areo Precision lower and find the finish much nicer.

Aeroprecision is my second favorite for finish, right behind Mega. Both are consistently high quality.

the only weird thing about Aero is they leave flash along the radius above the grip. it's polished flash- they take the time to finish it, why not just grind it off? my guess is they havent invested in the profiling tool required to do so, so they pretty it up instead.

grimm
06-10-09, 13:25
They are good to go. There was just a price jump on lowers during the last few months especially the well-known ones. Now it is correcting itself like the price of complete rifles.

sewvacman
06-10-09, 16:06
They are good to go. There was just a price jump on lowers during the last few months especially the well-known ones. Now it is correcting itself like the price of complete rifles.

Now if only the BCG's would correct themselves.

RojasTKD
06-10-09, 16:16
Now if only the BCG's would correct themselves.

And AMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

dialM4murder
06-10-09, 18:56
Just picked this up. They are a tad snug with Pmags.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6897/mega3copy.jpg

SkiDevil
06-11-09, 02:22
I have to ask this because I am seeing quite a few on GB for around $100. Is Stag still a good mil-spec lower? I bought one before posting but have not received it yet. Anyone heard of any changes?

As some others have already stated. STAG products are quality made. It would appear that because the supply of many 'parts' such as lowers is steadily increasing this will serve to diminsh demand, thus LOWERING the price/s.

Personally, I have examined a variety of lowers and cannot find any significant differences (except for finish). In fact, several gunsmiths have commented to me that basically; A Lower is a Lower is a lower. Buy what you like and/ or can afford.

I think the fact that several of the more dominant manufacturers regularly outsource for their parts; including lowers is a testament to this. Coupled, with the continued assertion by many industry professionals that there are only a few foundaries where these parts are produced (for commercial purposes). --perhaps some on the M4C forum could elaborate

I am sure your STAG lower will work just fine.

Regards,
SkiDevil

bkb0000
06-11-09, 02:26
Just picked this up. They are a tad snug with Pmags.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6897/mega3copy.jpg

i love Mega's recycled aluminum finish. i haven't seen any other manufacturer with that chippy, swirly finish.. i dig it. yours looks especially chippyswirly

dialM4murder
06-11-09, 03:12
:D I was bored when I took that pic, and photoshop was calling my name.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9634/1000017f.jpg

redyak3
06-11-09, 04:13
I like Mega as well...http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/redyak3/First%20BR%20Build/004.jpg

dcmdon
06-11-09, 09:41
I bought 10 dpms lowers in September.

I wasn't speculating as much as I was hedging. I am glad that an AWB has not been instated. The 10 lowers I purchased are to ensure that I can build rifles for my kids and my grandkids.

In the long run the cost will only go up. Just from normal inflation. So although I would show a paper gain if an AWB was instated and my lowers were suddenly worth $400 ea, it would not benefit me because I don't ever intend to sell them.

I'm happy for my country and its citizens that this madness has subsided a bit. However, I caution you. Once this economic crisis has passed, BHO will move on to other things. Grabbing your guns may be one of them.

Well, thats technically incorrect. He won't grab them. He'll make them expensive to shoot with taxes and levies. He'll make you have to jump through bureaucratic hoops to buy new ones.

Remember that the 2 democrats who run the House and the Senate (Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid) are both AGAINST an AWB. Senator Reid is from Nevada and is considered to be a pro-gun Democrat. I have no idea why Ms. Pelosi isn't for an AWB, but she is on the record as saying that we should enforce the laws we already have.

The danger lies with things that BHO can accomplish with no Congressional assistance. By executive order he could ban the importation of foreign ammunition. By executive order he could ban the military from selling its surplus ammo to the public.

Both of these acts could be done in the name of "consumer safety", with no recourse other than to hope for a Republican president who would reverse these orders.

That is also why I think this ammo hoarding makes more sense than gun hoarding. Guns are constitutionally protected. Ammo is not. If BHO enacted the above policies, then we would be stuck paying $15 for a box of 20 rounds of .223. This wouldn't specifically outlaw shooting, but it would sure put a damper on the sports existence and growth.

Don

MachinegunT
06-11-09, 17:40
As some others have already stated. STAG products are quality made. It would appear that because the supply of many 'parts' such as lowers is steadily increasing this will serve to diminsh demand, thus LOWERING the price/s.

Personally, I have examined a variety of lowers and cannot find any significant differences (except for finish). In fact, several gunsmiths have commented to me that basically; A Lower is a Lower is a lower. Buy what you like and/ or can afford.

I think the fact that several of the more dominant manufacturers regularly outsource for their parts; including lowers is a testament to this. Coupled, with the continued assertion by many industry professionals that there are only a few foundaries where these parts are produced (for commercial purposes). --perhaps some on the M4C forum could elaborate

I am sure your STAG lower will work just fine.

Regards,

SkiDevil

I was under the same impression! I think some people just like to buy the name carved into it for the cool factor! I also was told that there are 3 major makers of these and they carve whatever name in them the person wants. If I misunderstood this could someone please set me straight.

T:)

bkb0000
06-11-09, 17:59
there might only be 3 forges making the majority of the forgings, but there's a lot more than 3 companies machining their own receivers. the machining is the important part. there's LMT, LAR, CMT, mega, superior, olyarms, essential AFAIK, JVP, and a few other really small manufacturers. so at least 9 or 10, probably more.

Iraqgunz
06-11-09, 18:19
I may be wrong about this.

I bought 10 dpms lowers in September.

I wasn't speculating as much as I was hedging. I am glad that an AWB has not been instated. The 10 lowers I purchased are to ensure that I can build rifles for my kids and my grandkids.

In the long run the cost will only go up. Just from normal inflation. So although I would show a paper gain if an AWB was instated and my lowers were suddenly worth $400 ea, it would not benefit me because I don't ever intend to sell them.

I'm happy for my country and its citizens that this madness has subsided a bit. However, I caution you. Once this economic crisis has passed, BHO will move on to other things. Grabbing your guns may be one of them.

Well, thats technically incorrect. He won't grab them. He'll make them expensive to shoot with taxes and levies. He'll make you have to jump through bureaucratic hoops to buy new ones.

Remember that the 2 democrats who run the House and the Senate (Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid) are both AGAINST an AWB. Senator Reid is from Nevada and is considered to be a pro-gun Democrat. I have no idea why Ms. Pelosi isn't for an AWB, but she is on the record as saying that we should enforce the laws we already have.

Nancy said that only to placate the masses and to ensure her political survival. Nothing more.

The danger lies with things that BHO can accomplish with no Congressional assistance. By executive order he could ban the importation of foreign ammunition. By executive order he could ban the military from selling its surplus ammo to the public.

I believe that former President Clinton already signed something that prohibits surplus U.S military ammo sales to civilians. Not to mention there isn't much surplus U.S military ammo because we are fighting 2 wars.

Both of these acts could be done in the name of "consumer safety", with no recourse other than to hope for a Republican president who would reverse these orders.

That is also why I think this ammo hoarding makes more sense than gun hoarding. Guns are constitutionally protected. Ammo is not. If BHO enacted the above policies, then we would be stuck paying $15 for a box of 20 rounds of .223. This wouldn't specifically outlaw shooting, but it would sure put a damper on the sports existence and growth.

Don

22_Shooter
06-12-09, 05:24
I like Mega as well...
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/redyak3/First%20BR%20Build/004.jpg

Same here;). I picked this up the other day, and have a Stag LPK waiting to be installed in it. Now that they're back down to normal prices, I had to pick one up. $115 is easy to spend on something like this.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u127/D23NY/meganoserial2.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u127/D23NY/meganoserial.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u127/D23NY/meganoserial3.jpg

RojasTKD
06-12-09, 05:45
That's very nice...

Think I may have found my next lower!

bkb0000
06-12-09, 08:14
:D I was bored when I took that pic, and photoshop was calling my name.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9634/1000017f.jpg

pff... you did that? i thought you just got an extra choppyswirly one. you DO see the choppyswirlies in the finish, though, right?

K9222
06-12-09, 19:37
Stag is a great firearm. They make great stuff and what your seeing is the panic subsiding. Hell I got a RRA lower for 130 bucks the other day. The only lowers that are still commanding a high dollar is Colt and in my opinion Stag,RRA, Noveske, DS Arms and some others are just as good. I just wish the ammo thing would subside cause I need some.

dcmdon
06-13-09, 09:01
.223 brass ammo is gettable for pre-craziness pricing.

sportsmans guide has .223 for $351 per thousand

whats killing me is lack of $8/box 9mm Blazer. I may have to re-take up reloading.
and .380 . . forget about it. I haven't shot my Ruger LCP in 2 months
Don

MachinegunT
06-13-09, 16:59
.223 brass ammo is gettable for pre-craziness pricing.

sportsmans guide has .223 for $351 per thousand

whats killing me is lack of $8/box 9mm Blazer. I may have to re-take up reloading.
and .380 . . forget about it. I haven't shot my Ruger LCP in 2 months
Don

Man I hear you on the 9mm! The only pistols I have been shooting lately are 9 x 18 Mak! :(

dcmdon
06-14-09, 08:34
Things are definitely loosening up.

I've got 1500 rounds of 9mm on order from Sportsman's Guide due for July 9 delivery and just scored 600 rounds of .45 at walmart.

Don