PDA

View Full Version : Lens Caps for 3X Aimpoint Magnifier

runlikegump
06-09-09, 11:30
I recently picked up an Aimpoint 3X Magnifier and was surprised that it did not include lens caps. I have it mounted to a La Rue pivot mount. Those of you with an Aimpoint Magnifier are you leaving the glass exposed all the time? Are you concerned with scratching it? If you have Caps, where did you get them?

Alaskapopo
06-12-09, 04:12
I recently picked up an Aimpoint 3X Magnifier and was surprised that it did not include lens caps. I have it mounted to a La Rue pivot mount. Those of you with an Aimpoint Magnifier are you leaving the glass exposed all the time? Are you concerned with scratching it? If you have Caps, where did you get them?

I leave my glass exposed. I have not had a problem. I wish I could get caps but could not find any. I would want them to be see through blizard style however. So i could still use it quickly in an emergency without having to flip a bunch of caps out of the way.
Pat

runlikegump
06-12-09, 08:46
Thanks Pat, it definitely seems odd that they don't make protection for an expensive piece of glass like that.

HiggsBoson
06-14-09, 18:36
Couldn't you just measure the outside diameter (front and rear), then buy some Butler Creek see-through scope covers in the appropriate size? If you have time you can flip them out of the way, if not then you can still see through them well enough to use the rifle until you do have time.

http://www.butler-creek.com/products/scopes_blizzard.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/butler-creek-blizzard-see-thru-scope-covers.html

runlikegump
06-15-09, 12:28
Thanks, The front cover should work that way but the rear has a very small lip when mounted on La Rue pivot mount. I will contact La Rue, maybe they have a suggestion on the rear.

Kiwi
06-15-09, 22:19
Thanks, The front cover should work that way but the rear has a very small lip when mounted on La Rue pivot mount. I will contact La Rue, maybe they have a suggestion on the rear.

Not sure about the front when the lip is sticking out so short but for rear you could use M3 cover (you would need to pull the rubber ring off the Magnifier first)

Texpatriate
03-16-11, 14:00
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but has anybody found a lens cover solution for an Aimpoint 3x in a Larue flip mount? I tried a couple of butler creek covers but they were all too big.

Crow Hunter
03-17-11, 19:25
I use the rubber bikini covers that came with my M4s, I leave them on until I actually need to use it, then I just yank it off before I flip it over.

Hmac
03-17-11, 19:29
I've never used a cover and haven't had a problem. I was initially worried that the front lens would crud up being right there in front of the ejection port when flipped over, but I haven't seen that.